Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
Deer season Opened here in East Tennessee Yesterday morning, so I decided to take along my Hamilton Bowen Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 Revolver that had been modified to the new Federal .327 Magnum Caliber. I had been recently hand loading some rounds using brass donated by forum member David Ballantyne {Thank's Dave} and worked up a very Potent load using Accurate Arms #7 Powder along with a Sierra 90 Grain Copper Jacketed Hollow point and CCI-550 Magnum Powder. This Load showed to group the size of a dime on on the 20 Yard Line at my Range Late Thursday afternoon, so I decided to use it hunting.

I had my Marlin 336 Lever rifle chambered in .35 Rem. Caliber as well. I entered the woods just before daylight and Positioned myself about 30 Yards off a main Deer run. I had not seen a Deer and about Quarter to Eight, I began to wonder if the Presence of a Big Wild Cat had spoiled my chances of seeing any Bucks ? My Buddy who owns the land we hunt had warned me he had seen a Huge wild Cat the week before in his back yard about Noon. It apparently was stalking his House Cat's and he Feared it would attack them. I assured him, if I should see it in the woods he would have no more worries.

At 5 Minutes to Eight, I heard a small twig snap behind me. I looked up that way, and there was This Big Bobcat standing there Looking at me. I slowly raised my revolver that was in my lap and took aim. I was shaking fiercely, so I had to tell myself this was the chance of a life time shot, and to calm down. I knew the gun and load would do the Job if I did mine. I gently squeezed the trigger and the cat fell over Instantly.

I then called my Son in law who was hunting with me on his First Deer hunt and told him to get up to where I was sitting. He asked if I had shot a buck, and I told him I had killed that Big Bobcat. He did not believe me, but Joined me shortly. I dragged it out of the brush I had shot him in, and noticed the slug entered his left chest cavity and exited out his right rib cage. When I Gutted him out It had hit his Heart and right Lung before exiting. This cat weighed about 50 pounds and his stomach was the size of a Youth Football in size filled with what appeared to be fresh rabbit. He never made a sound nor moved after I shot him, so I guess it is safe to say the .327 Magnum more than did it's Job, and this may make the Non Belivers of this round take notice of how potent it really is. Before we left the woods, We Paced it off from where I shot this cat from and it was a true 35 Yard shot. I am still in Awe that I Bagged this animal and will have a Full Mount done of him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and shot!

That is the largest Bobcat I have ever seen!

Congrats!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Congratulations on a great bonus kill! I agree, that opportunity is a once in a lifetime thing for most, though my hopes is you will have more such opportunities.

Can we see that sweet Smith that did it's job so well, again. I always thought your conversion made a lot of sense.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is CCI 550 Magnum Powder? Where do you get it and do you think it would work well in a 32 H&R also? I searched the web and only came up with primers. I have not heard of this new powder.

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang good! I'd like to kill a big bobcat. Maybe it's coincidental, but...Several years back, I myself was deer hunting. This was probably 1997. It was in a hilly, wooded area. My hunting pard killed a buck and didn't want to gut him himself since the locker was only three miles away. He went on his four wheeler and we got the deer loaded and up to his truck. As he was fooling around backing up or some such, I saw a big bobcat in the neighbor's pasture. I didn't know what exactly was in back of him, so I didn't shoot. I had my old Colt SAA in 32-20.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD
Congratulations on a great bonus kill! I agree, that opportunity is a once in a lifetime thing for most, though my hopes is you will have more such opportunities.

Can we see that sweet Smith that did it's job so well, again. I always thought your conversion made a lot of sense.

Hello Ricky
Thanks, here she is...Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LoneEagle
What is CCI 550 Magnum Powder? Where do you get it and do you think it would work well in a 32 H&R also? I searched the web and only came up with primers. I have not heard of this new powder.

Hello Lone Eagle
My Bad, Typo Brain Fart. The Powder used was Accurate Arms 10.2 Grains, 90 Grain Sierra Hollow point bullet and a CCI-550 Magnum small Pistol primer. Now, I have it right... blushThegeneral.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LoneEagle

Hello Lone Eagle
My Bad, Typo Brain Fart. The Powder used was Accurate Arms 10.2 Grains, 90 Grain Sierra Hollow point bullet and a CCI-550 Magnum small Pistol primer. Now, I have it right.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very nice shot. Anytime you make a shot on a prize animal at anything like that distance with all of the emotions running, you've done really well. Very easy to throw a shot like that with a handgun when under the pressures and excitment of the momment. E

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pistol practicing in woods near Asheville NC yesterday I saw one just like this. I had no idea we had these in this area.

Glad to know an old pro was "shaking".

Going on first deer hunt tomorrow. Late to the game, turn fifty on 12-13.

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Nice cat!

And nicer revolver. That is exactly what a 327 should look like. I enjoyed your reports of the conversion process also.

Thanks for sharing.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by generalstuart

Hello Ricky
Thanks, here she is...Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
That's a beauty, Sir. Bet she's a joy to shoot!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Very nice shot. Anytime you make a shot on a prize animal at anything like that distance with all of the emotions running, you've done really well. Very easy to throw a shot like that with a handgun when under the pressures and excitment of the momment. E

Hello Eremicus
I Pride myself on Keeping Cool when shooting handguns no Matter what the situation is, But I will tell you it took Deep concentration on the shot with This Sucker in a Low crouched Stalk Mode Hissing at me...Thegeneral

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Pistol practicing in woods near Asheville NC yesterday I saw one just like this. I had no idea we had these in this area.

Glad to know an old pro was "shaking".

Going on first deer hunt tomorrow. Late to the game, turn fifty on 12-13.

Hello bankcardrep1
Emotions Run High when you are about to drop anything of size in the woods. I do not get as Pumped on shooting Buck's anymore, but when you think the Game you are about to shoot can and May attack you, it changes the whole composure of the situation...Miss or wound it, & it may Tear you to shreads after the shot, that is why I made sure he was down to stay there and I Took my time squeezing the Trigger...Thegeneral

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

That's a beauty, Sir. Bet she's a joy to shoot!

Hello Ricky
It helps having the barrel Under Lug on this revolver. Stoked it Rears Up like a True .357 Magnum from recoil. This aint your typical low recoiling .32 round for sure...thegeneral.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
GREAT SHOT..... In all my years driving and walking the woods I have seen exactly ONE Bobcat...and he was moving so fast you would have needed a shotgun...

Any clue what your velocity is?

S&W, Ruger and Taurus are fools not to bring this round out in mid size guns... A GP100, Tracker or K-frame would be perfect for this great cartridge...
Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
GREAT SHOT.....

Any clue what your velocity is?

Bob

Hello Bob
I have no clue of the velocity and was so close to Hunting season when I discovered what worked and worked well in my revolver, I did not have time to Chrono it. Perhaps I May Not want to know the velocity as the Primer was smashed Flat as a Pancake. I had little worries of it hurting the gun though as these S&W Model 16-4 revolvers that were originaly chambered in .32 H&R Magnum and had Gob's of steel between the chambers... I may Chrono it after Hunting season though...thegeneral.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good shot and good hunting. A guy doesn't get to many opportunities for a shot like that especially with a favorite handgun. Congrats.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome General! Had my Mountain Gun with me yesterday evening and a dang cough on my part ruined a chance at a doe just 30-odd yards away...Any game taken with a handgun is a trophy and a bobcat is the berries!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice 'cat. Well done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,136
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.