Print Thread
Hop To
G
Goose79 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I was out hunting this past weekend and found the remains of a whitetail doe.

Someone stopped on the bridge on the county road and tossed the remains of the deer over the guardrail onto the ground.

This is what I can't understand and makes me mad. They shot the doe, gutted it, skinned it, cut it in half down the spine and then didn't take any meat.

They did all that and just tossed it on the side of the road. There were some plastic ice bags mixed in with the deer so it looks like they took it home and tried to ice it down.

Either they poached it and were worried about being caught or they let it spoil or they just said screw it I don't feel like it.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
or they found it late with the guts in it and tried to get some meat off it but found that it was spoiled so they put it out for the crows & coyotes.

Only thing that really bothers me about the story is the plactic bags, don't care for litter bugs.

but it sounds to me like someone tried. Who knows, might have been a road kill that someone thought they would get some meat off but most likely one lost during some night tracking, found the next day or later & the meat was spoiled.

unfortunately there is usually no such thing as a little bit spoiled or partially spoiled.

sick

Something clever here.

G
Goose79 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I thought about that also.

The critters will get it so it's not going to go to waste.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well, I like to think that's what was going on anyways.

If they went through the trouble of doing that much cutting they must have been sniffin meat trying to find some salvageable cuts.

maybe not, who knows.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree. Looks like they tried to save it with ice and it spoiled anyway. Concerning spoiling, I have a question...

Its been in the 50s-low 60s here the past couple of days. How long could a deer sit, gutted, in that kind of temp before it spoiled? *not trying to hijack the thread*

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
anything over 40 F & I'm looking for a freezer or cooler.

it's different if you get down in the 20's at night & highs of 50, then you stand a chance cause the meat can really cool at night. but lows of 40... hmmm, i dunno.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Found a nice mule deer buck someone had tossed along the road many years ago. Was out on a little traveled county road. They obviously hi-graded the deer. Schitt like that pizzes me off.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Goose79 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well, I like to think that's what was going on anyways.

If they went through the trouble of doing that much cutting they must have been sniffin meat trying to find some salvageable cuts.

maybe not, who knows.

They never did cut the meat off of the bone. They just cut it in half down the spine and left the meat on.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that is strange, like end to end? WTF?

Something clever here.

G
Goose79 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
that is strange, like end to end? WTF?

Yes, I would say they just used a sawzall and cut the length of the spine so you have a right and left side.

That's what I thought was funny, they took the time to do all that, but never made one cut into the meat to see if it was good.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot a deer one time that had been wounded several days before. One good whiff was all it took to know that it was bad, real bad. We took it off to the hog lot (back when a guy could still make some money raising small numbers of hogs.) and tossed it over the fence. When the hogs ripped into it, you could see it was green as a watermelon. Dunno how the hogs gagged it down, but that deer disappeared pretty fast.

What's more, I don't know how the deer survived as long as it did, with it's guts half shot out. At least it wasn't suffering any more. Found another standing in a creek once, with it's lower jaw shot off, and hanging by some skin. That one fed the hogs, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
early last week my little bro shot a spiker just like the first deer you talk about.

had been shot already & when they cut it open it was terrible.

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If I had a dollar for every doe I found dead during NJ's Buck only hunting season

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.