Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I am considering getting a new G2 Kifaru Longhunter. I cannot decide between the Guide or the standard size. Looking to use the pack for anything from day hunts to week long trips. I know the theory of go bigger(guide) as you can always compress down, but am apprehensive because of my size. I am 5' 8" 150 lbs so I am worried the guide is too much of a pack. I am thinking standard, but not sure. Any input from you guys that have kifaru Longhunters.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
here's one consideration. in my experience, you really don't want to pack any pack much above the frame height. both of the packs you mention have the same frame height. however, the guide's bag is 2" wider and 1" deeper. that means it will hold more stuff before you're loading into the snow collar above the frame.

also, if you're going to be carrying in winter, winter gear adds quite a bit of bulk and 5200 might be a little small.

on the other hand, using the 25%-30% body weight standard, you shouldn't be carrying more than 50lbs anyway. much above 5200 cubes, and you're probably above 50lbs of weight.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Consider your pack gear, is it compact? Do you tend to overpack or haul alot of "extras"? There's a good thread regarding this subject over on the Kifaru board, some folks are getting by with the Longhunter Std for winter backpacking.

MtnHtr

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
evanhill makes some good points with which I concur. I had the standard and have the Guide. For me the latter is more versatile. I can always cinch it down if I have a light load and it will work fine. Can't make the standard bigger. I also agree that the size of your gear makes a big difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can compress the Guide to the size of the Standard, and, just as small as the Standard, with a very minor wieght increase. You can't stretch the Standard to the size of the Guide if needed. If you never need the extra space of the Guide, you'll never notice it as "too much". However, if you ever need the extra space of the Guide and only have the Standard, you will notice the "not enough".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the empty weight of each pack at your fit size? It matters, especially in winter. The Longhunter is an extremely heavy pack, made for heavy weights.

Backpacking in Mississippi or Minnesota in winter? You won't be able to carry as much comfortably on snow, so every pound counts.

Since you are discussing backpacking only, I'd go with a lighter pack. By at least 2 pounds empty.

Taylor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't say the Longhunter is an "Extremely heavy pack". I use mine as a day pack all the time. Just with a cargo chair and the top lid pocket(no pack bag) it's the perfect day pack/just in case i have to pack meat hauler.You can add more or less pockets to the frame also.

If i were to buy one again i would go with the guide initially. If you dont need the space, just compress it down.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the comments. I have pretty compact gear. I plan to use the pack for everything. Lots of day hunts with the hope of carrying meat out at the end of the day. Also weekend trips or up to a week. I dont do a lot of winter backpack trips. Basically looking for a do all pack that can function for every hunting situation.

You guys make a great point about having the room and compressing compared to not having the room to expand. My worry is thou if the space it there I might feel it. You know what I mean. ha

[quote=MarcTaylor]What is the empty weight of each pack at your fit size? It matters, especially in winter. The Longhunter is an extremely heavy pack, made for heavy weights.

I feel that the Longhunter is a acutally one of the lighter packs out there compared to other companys. Mystery ranch, eberlestock, etc. The new generations are slightly heavier than the first generation.

Last edited by greatwhitehunter; 11/19/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heavy, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Guide is 7lbs 7oz. Hell, go ahead and find a pack 2 pounds lighter and put 50 pounds in each and see which one handles the load better. That's the best way to pick a pack or any other piece of gear. I may think the Kifaru Longhunter is the worse pack in the world and you may think it's the best. As long as we base our opinions on our actual personal experiences, we are both right. By the way, if you want to try before you buy, I'll ship my Longhunter guide to you for you to try if you pay shipping. My only caveat is that you must return it. Hell, if you give me a deposit I'll send you one that is two pounds lighter so you can compare them. You're out nothing except the cost of shipping and you get to compare.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Go with the Guide for all the reasons stated.

I've had the Guide and I'm going to get the biggest Long Hunter, the Rendezvous.

If you want to save two pounds, do it with your sleeping bag. smile

Ed T

IC B3

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on the guide for the reasons stated above.

And IMO, the pack is one of the lightest out there for it's size and capacity. Very comfortoble....loved my G2 Guide this year.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have to check my list, but I'm pretty sure my G1 Guide is 6 lbs. 15 ounces. The G2 is supposed to be a fair bit more but from what I hear the hipbelt is so improved that it is absolutely worth it. I'm not sure how many 5 lbs. packs there are out there that will carry that much weight and gear.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own the guide and would do it again. +2 on reasons stated above

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So there's NOT a Longhunter weighing in at 9 pounds?!

My postal scale must be lying to me.

I borrowed one a couple years back for a familiarization hike. It was comfortable, but it was heavy. Don't know which model Longhunter it was, so maybe the heavier referred to above. Not sure of that.

The one thing about lightening your sleeping bag for a winter hike is that you pay for it when it is outside your pack. Nah... ;-)

Taylor

Last edited by MarcTaylor; 11/20/09.
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow! That is a heavy Longhunter. Did it have anything else on it? Cargochair, etc.? For clarification, my weight is without fleece panels or cargo chair, just the pack which is what you'd be comparing to another maker's pack I'd think.

The chair adds another pound if you're using it which I generally don't. I don't feel a need for the fleece and since I don't know of other packs that have them, weighing without is more apples to apples for me. But all decked out, I could see how you'd get to 9 lbs. That's why I'm not real keen on the military packs. Even heavier, especially once you start exploiting all that modularity and adding pods and pouches and such.

Maybe my scale is lying and making heavy items much lighter? It isn't certified, just a digital that goes to 35 lbs. and is supposed to measure to a tenth of an ounce so I can't say if it is dead on but has generally been pretty close to what things are supposed to be.

Last edited by CCH; 11/20/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, it had the cargo chair.

Not taking anything AWAY from the pack, just too heavy to my taste.

Taylor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Long hunter is not a heavy pack, because it avoids extra material for pockets and such that other packs think you need for organizing your gear.

Talk it over with the folks at Kifaru, they are very accesable.

Get the one with the most room, bulky winter cloths take lots of space, and f you pack out animals you will want to bring out your gear too.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Marc, I'm with you on weight. I'm just not aware of a lot of packs out there designed to carry heavy loads that are substantially lighter. I looked at MR but they are even heavier than Kifaru. The Osprey Argon 110 is a bit lighter than my Guide at 6 lbs. 10 ounces. Bora 95s run about 7 1/2 lbs. It just seems like you pretty much have to carry some more to carry some more.

If anyone could come up with a 5 lbs. 6,000 to 7,000 ci pack that can carry a serious load in comfort, I'd be VERY interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know why people are so worried about a couple pounds when it comes to a hunting backpack. Its what goes in it you want to cut weight on, don't skimp on the pack. I would use a pack that was 12 pounds, if it was more comfortable than a 6 pound pack. Also are you going to feel the extra 2 pounds if your hauling 60+ lb.

The Kifaru cargo chair is heavy. Thats why most of the time i use a "grab-it" in it's place.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big W, it's more the two pounds here, two pounds there sort of thing. And a couple of pounds is no trifle in my pack regardless of gear. We count ounces in so many ways that anything that adds pounds, is worthy of consideration. I agree that the pack is the LAST place to worry about knocking it off, but if you can without compromise to load carrying ability (that is a HUGE if), why not?

And given available equipment, I can't imagine carrying a 12 pound pack just like I can no longer imagine backpacking with 9 pounds of rifle and scope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.