Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I actually wanted the second word to be something other than "twit," but Rick won't let me use the word I wanted to.

Twit is pretty close, though, and maybe works just as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's OK, I'm a missile surgeon, I can figure it out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
twat, maybe...?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Rhymes with punt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Qoute:

And for our boy in WNY, where I spent most of my life, we "ass shot" lots of Whitetails because good bucks have this annoying habit of laying up in some nasty blowdown or thicket before sunrise and not moving until after dark. If you kick them out, they usually don't run TOWARD you. As for Mr Griz, suggest you go on a nice backpacking trip in Jellystone in mid July. Get back in about 10 miles and you'll wonder WTF am I doing here with a can of fing pepper spray and some bells. You probably believe their are no Puma in WNY too......

Am I your "boy in WNY"? You been drinking? I was curious about your statement about all them grizzly bear, not your ass shooting of all your trophy animals. I wouldn't ass shoot any animal ever, unless wounded. And you hardily admit it? Puff that chest out and thump it.

Only Puma in WNY are on my feet.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]
no vld failures here

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Rhymes with punt.

You think he's a runt? That would explain a lot--little man's syndrome.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Question: "I just read a post on another site stating that the jackets are something like 0.005" thicker along the bearing surface of the bullet. Not really sure what that will do to bullet performance on game. Out of curiosity how thick is the standard jacket on a VLD?"

Poster of the picture: "I measured both of them at 35 thousandths."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've been saying this entire thread what you justed showed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[Linked Image]

Question: "I just read a post on another site stating that the jackets are something like 0.005" thicker along the bearing surface of the bullet. Not really sure what that will do to bullet performance on game. Out of curiosity how thick is the standard jacket on a VLD?"

Poster of the picture: "I measured both of them at 35 thousandths."
..........Though I could be mistaken, from what I understand, the VLD hunting bullets use a slightly thinner jacket thickness in order for them to do what they do after the initial 2" to 3" of penetration, which is to violently disrupt the vitals.

The match VLDs use a thicker jacket. Because of their thicker jackets, they won`t do as much internal damage as the thinner jacketed VLD hunting bullets do.

After reviewing the Berger site, if you have any further questions as to actual jacket thickness and effect on game, then give Berger a call.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berger started usuing heaver jackets because fast twisted rifle barrels tended to make Bergers come apart on there way to the target.David Tubb had that experience and quit usuing them.
So VLD hunting bullets use a slightly thinner jacket and match VLDs use a thicker jacket.At least thats what there advertizeing says.
Somehow that just seems azz backwards to me.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I actually wanted the second word to be something other than "twit," but Rick won't let me use the word I wanted to.

Twit is pretty close, though, and maybe works just as well.

how many people do the two trolls Liar24 and Oldstinky1942 have to run off before Rick gets tired of them?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm

So VLD hunting bullets use a slightly thinner jacket and match VLDs use a thicker jacket.At least thats what there advertizeing says.
Somehow that just seems azz backwards to me.
dave
............Yeah, I know! But if you think about it though, the thinner jacketed (hunting) VLDs help create the wider, more explosive and more disruptive wound channels than do their thicker jacketed match bullets. From what I gather, that`s why the thinner jackets are used for the hunting versions.

The bottom line is, they work reeeeeeeeeeel good!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In the pics above, the one on the right may be one of the early match VLDs. Before they found out they made excellent hunting bullets they all came in the yellow boxes and did not specify match or hunting. I have some early 30cal 175s and after trading emails with Berger realize they are what are now available in the orange box and suitable for either match or hunting. As mentioned above, it is the match bullets that have changed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I could care less what the box color is, all I know is they kill stuff dead and I don't have to track it.

For the majority of my hunting they just flat work. For those Berger haters out there, that have not even used them, stick with your bent tipped tsx's.

Edit: Not directed at you JB.

Last edited by wyoelk; 01/02/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wyoelk
I could care less what the box color is, all I know is they kill stuff dead and I don't have to track it.

For the majority of my hunting they just flat work. For those Berger haters out there, that have not even used them, stick with your bent tipped tsx's.

Edit: Not directed at you JB.
..........We need a moving "applause" emoticon too!!!! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

The Berger bullets to some,,,,is like Kryptonite to Superman!!! The hinges on their very "traditional" doors, are either rusted shut or welded shut!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
[
Um... seriously; consider the quote, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Your mind... educated, or...

Aristotle.....

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
JLM Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Don't give me advice about grizzlies, you pompous twit. I was born and raised in grizzly country in southwest Montana, and have spent plenty of time hunting not only there but in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and when in my 20's spent a lot of time hiking the backcountry in Glacier Park. Plus I have hunted a lot in grizzly country in four provinces of Canada, as well as Alaska, including the area that has the highest concentration of brown bears anywhere in the state during late summer and early fall, when I was there.

And no, I don't own an ATV, or a hand-held computer or any of "that crap"--except, sometimes, a spotitng scope, which I carry in my daypack. I have managed to keep elk meat in the freezer for 40 years without any of that, or shooting one in the ass.

John, you'll have to excuse (not really) "Oldman". He's one of those interlopers that moved to our neck of the woods from another State (NY) and thinks he knows everything. God knows we need more of those in MT and WY right?

Pompous doesn't even begin to cover it my friend wink

I must say thou, that his admission (on another forum) that he shot an Antelope here with a .22-06 took a lot of...balls? Considering that we have a 6mm min caliber requirement in WY.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JLM, did he have to shoot that one from the rear end?Rick.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

732 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,782
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.