Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Use a Hornady Interlock Accubond Partition and you will be fine. That's all I do. Simple!

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
6.5whitetail

This post hast to be the dorkiest I've ever seen here, plain stupid.

Another Berger VLD failure!

I'M RUNNING TO THE INTERNET TO TELL OF A FAILURE!
I don't have all the details yet but that will come later!

Dumb.

Maybe I missed it but i have seen no mention that they were
the "hunting VLD's".

I doubt they were.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"Shot high in the lungs, no blood trail. He had to make circles in the woods to find the deer. Pencil sized exit with shrapnel in the neck, spine, and very little lung damage."

Well, I just feel compelled to make a few more comments. First, this is 6.5whitetail's quote, about the story from the guy who actually shot the deer. So we have a second-hand story about a supposed bullet failure.

It sounds to me like the shot was too high, the reason for the "shrapnel in the neck, spine and very little lung damage." Evidently, though, the deer still died, and in about the distance deer often die when shot solidly through the lungs with various other bullets.

A second comment: No, the people at Berger did NOT suddenly decide to start promoting the VLD as a hunting bullet, with no other reason than to sell bullets.

Instead, a LOT of hunters starting reporting to Berger that their bullets worked very well, especially on deer. Berger decided to inventigate, and after more than a year of research decided they would start marketing VLD's as hunting bullets. The research included both shooting VLD's into various kinds of test media, AND shooting lots of animals. I know about this because I was one of the people who shot a lot of animals, and also observed a lot of animals being shot.

As a result, I regularly use VLD's for some hunting myself now. This fall I used one on a pronghorn hunt that cost $2000. I paid for the hunt, and chose to use a VLD rather than one of the many other bullets in my loading room. It worked perfectly, by the way, because I shot the buck through the middle of the lungs, not around the edges.

There is indeed a difference between the hunting VLD's and the target VLD's. The target VLD's are actually tougher, because it was found that the thin jackets of what used to be the only VLD's made sometimes wouldn't hold up when shot in some cut-rifled barrels, such as the ones used by many target shooters. So today's target VLD actually have a tougher jacket. Once in a while somebody makes the mistake of shooting a deer with one, and the bullet doesn't open up. This does not happen with the hunting VLD's. Or at least I have never seen it happen, or heard from anybody who's seen it happen.

I would question Walt's advise about using a 155 instead of a 168 for deer, since I have seen a pile of deer-sized animals shot with 168-grain VLD's (and even 185's) from a .30-06, at ranges from 20 yards to around 400, and they all expanded.

Apparently a number of people still don't understand the way VLD's work, which isn't surprising since most of the people who've posted against them here have never even seen them used on game.

A VLD typically penetrates about 2 inches before it even starts to expand. Contrary to what many believe, this is unique among expanding bullets (at least those that do expand). The others all begin expanding as soon as the tip enters an animal, the reason there's normally lots of damage around the entrance wound. After a VLD gets a couple inches inside, it expands violently, doing massive damage to the lungs--of you shoot the animal in the lungs.

I have seen VLD's shot into a bunch of animals now, ranging in size from 50-400 pounds at ranges from 20 to 550 yards, and have yet to see one fail to make a mess of the lung cavity--unless the lung cavity was missed. One thing VLD's do NOT do is make up for poor shot placement.

After re-reading this thread more than once, I am pretty well convinced that the bullet "failure" was a shot that hit the upper fringe of the lungs, partly from the description of the wound and partly because the deer took 70 yards to die. I have yet to see an animal of any sort well-shot with a VLD go that far, though anything is possible.

John,

Thanks for posting & clarifying the issue on VLD's..............I stand somewhat corrected on how the hunting version came about.

But, much as I respect & appreciate your vast experience with a broader range of projectiles than what I have, I just ain't going to use them.

I see no real advantage (& more potential disadvantages), except in a few instances of BC, compared to what I'll term "genuine" BG bullets which provide all the performance one could ask for.

With the wide range of really good BG bullets available now, one can more or less choose/tailor the bullet selected to the type of performance desired..........but in truth, out to the ranges I've killed BG which is about 500 yards, I've never found the ancient & reliable Partition wanting either in BC/bullet trajectory or performance, and more recently, the same has been proven true with the TSX/TTSX.

Many times "new" is different but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

I guess old habits die hard & old dogs are hard headed.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the thing that surprises me a bit is that someone considers a bullet a failure because the deer ran 70 yds before it died. I shot a deer with a 180gr Partition out of a 300 WSM straight through the heart from 17yds away and it ran about that far.

Monday I shot another relatively small buck with a 140gr Accubond out of a 270 WSM that had an entrance wound halfway up directly behind the front shoulder. I saw the bullet impact through the scope and I could see a shaft of blood a yard long spewing from the entrance wound, he was obviously hard hit. The deer spun around sprung about 10ft in the air over a fence, sprinted up a and over a hill 80yds or so behind him. There was an enormous blood trail but the deer ran all the way over a second hill before running into a tree and dying.

I guess the point is I've never been able to impress Bucks much that they were dead on the spot unless I hit them in the spine or something. Even when hit through the lungs and heart with premium bullets they usually run a ways when I shoot them. How can anyone tell about bullet failure because they ran 70 or 100yds?...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
How can anyone tell about bullet failure because they ran 70 or 100yds?.

They can't and that's why this post is stupid.

btw,

I like this,

"Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.
Depression is when you lose yours.
And Recovery will be when Obama loses his."

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MontanaMan,

Well, you're absolutely right about Partitions, of course. That has been my experience with them as well. And we do have a marvelous selection of bullets today.

The big thing I like about VLD's is that on average they kill quicker than any other deer bullet I've ever used, particularly with a behind-the-shoulder lung shot. They also destroy less meat, and I am one who does eat shoulder meat (yes, shoulders are good for far more cuts than just burger or jerky).

This may seem odd, given how violently they expand, but as mentioned above they don't expand right away. Thus there isn't the severe meat-mangling right around the entrance hole created with many other deer bullets. And if you're careful about where they might exit then there isn't much damage on the far side either. And even when there is, it's usually a LOT less than the damage around the entrance hole made by standard bullets, because by the time a VLD gets to the other side there isn't much left of the bullet, and it's going a lot slower.

This is why I particularly like them for pronghorn hunting. There isn't all that much meat on an antelope, and since my wife and I both like to eat them a LOT, I try very hard not to shoot up any shoulder meat. The buck I took in Wyoming lost nothing but rib meat, and went down pronto.

The high BC isn't as big a factor with me, except in one way: Wind drift is reduced, so even on a 300-yard shot there's noticeably less drift than with most other bullets. Since I do about half my hunting in Montana this often makes a difference. But it ranks far behind the way they kill quickly while damaging little meat, at least for me.

But I certainly am not pushing them in any way. I do, however, like to dispel some of the myths I've seen posted about VLD's.

Good hunting,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not having used them, I would say that in most of my encounters with guys crying bullet failure,the fault has been poor placeemnt rather than the bullet, or asking the bullet to do soemething it was not designed for.

Selecting a bullet for it's ability to leave blood trail is way down on my list of what to look for.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, to end all !

The guy who shot this buck said "the bullet doesnt [bleep] work well enough for him" ! Thats his opinion on the bullet. I have seen another instance where I wasn't impressed. I will not use the VLD for anything....period ! SU35 you can kiss my A$$....period. I have told a story of one friend shooting and not liking them and another I personally saw.....It's my opinion they suck. You can have your own opinion, but you werent there.

KLM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU35 you can kiss my A$$....period.

You're funny! I hope you have a great weekend.

How old are you btw?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
JB,

Have you seen the VLD penitrate heavy bone such as the shoulder bone of an elk? This is my concern with the bullets. They seem to work fine when the shot is placed behind the shoulder with nothing to break or penitrate except maybe a rib, but how do they work when going through heavy bone and lots of meat?

I think they have a good concept but I am still sceptical because so far nobody with real world experience has been able to answer this question for me. I have called berger and they give the standard answer of bla bla bla 1800fps.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VLDs have worked well for me this year. My experiece of 9 mulies mirrored JB's article = thor's thingy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
heavywalker,

I haven't shot one into an elk shoulder so don't know, but did shoot the shoulder bones on deer-sized game with 168 and 185 VLD's and they just punched on through.

Quite a few people use VLD's on elk, especially in open country, but I prefer to stick to deer-sized game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm 40 and have killed and have seen plenty of game killed. I realize that most of the posters on here that use VLD are going to come to it's rescue. I shoot BIG GAME bullets not target bullets. I can get the 2 gentleman who had problems come on and give their bad experiences the past 2 years NP.

I dont have to worry about speed,distance,bullet weight for game hunted, and precise bullet placement. I shoot them in the kill area and I get a blood trail and quick recovery. I said before, I never have lost one, even on a marginal shot because I always had a blood trail.

I had one Corelokt failure in 1986. Shot a doe on a drive 3 times with 150 gr. Corelokts from a 30-06. All complete pass throughs not doing much damage @ all, but the blood trail could have been followed by Ray Charles. 2 of the 3 shots were lethal kill shots. We found her after a 10 minute wait. she went about 200 yds, but left plenty of sign to follow.

I dont shoot Corelokts anymore for hunting, but wouldnt be afraid to if I had to. I just prefer to load with Nosler, Swift, Barnes and Hornady. Like I said do what you want, I know of 2 people + myself that wont use them on game.

Have a nice day and watch those VLD's cu35,
KLM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 6.5whitetail
Ok, to end all !

The guy who shot this buck said "the bullet doesnt [bleep] work well enough for him" ! Thats his opinion on the bullet. I have seen another instance where I wasn't impressed. I will not use the VLD for anything....period ! SU35 you can kiss my A$$....period. I have told a story of one friend shooting and not liking them and another I personally saw.....It's my opinion they suck. You can have your own opinion, but you werent there.

KLM

400+ post and you didn't realize you would encounter flak denegrading a bullet from a hearsay account? You would get the same response regardless of it were Barnes, Nosler or Sierra.

I'd be interested in the story first hand. Pics would be nice too. By chance is it the same hunter, sniper trained friend you posted last year about VLD failure? After shooting deer with the WM/VLD combo your 12/08 post doesn't ring true. That makes me doubt your latest story.

From 6.5Whitetail 12/08

"I have a friend who shot @ 2 does crossing our property last month from about 300 yds. The shots for the most part were on the shoulder or just behind, but the deer never acted like they were hit.He had to drive up to one of them and shoot it with a .22 pistol in the head.

Hunter-- Experienced shooter
Military sniper trained
Shots-- 4 of the 5 hit where they should have.
Weapon-- 300 Win. Mag 28" Encore Prohunter
Bullets--175gr. VLD Berger
Deer-- 1-90lb doe 1- 120lb doe

Complete bullet failure, only one exited and the rest seem to turn into shrapnel and do very little damage.

I told him the Accubond, Ballistic Tip, or the TSX Barnes wouldnt have let him do"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wadevb1,

This was a totally different guy. Avid reloader, ballistic freak, talks and shares a lot of info with Tony Boyers if anyone knows who he is. Try benchrest forums.

KLM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a 210 VLD behind the shoulder or an elk with a 300 WM and you just would believe what happened.

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This is why I particularly like them for pronghorn hunting. There isn't all that much meat on an antelope, and since my wife and I both like to eat them a LOT, I try very hard not to shoot up any shoulder meat. The buck I took in Wyoming lost nothing but rib meat, and went down pronto.

Good hunting,
John

On that recommendation, that might be a good place for me to give 'em a whirl.

What caliber & weight have you used for pronghorns?

For me, most likely choice for guns I have would be a 140, .277", 140, .284" or 115, .25".

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BBerg
I can't see how it could go into shrapnel and not destroy the lungs.

Did your friend actually look inside, or just because of the small exit whole he is assuming there was no internal damage?

BBerg

Exactly, the only way it could have not destroyed the lungs is to have missed hitting the lungs

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by heavywalker
JB,

Have you seen the VLD penitrate heavy bone such as the shoulder bone of an elk? This is my concern with the bullets.

No problem at all with elk shoulders.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
care to elaborate? i.e. caliber, bullet wieght, shot distance, estimated impact velocity, ect....

Last edited by heavywalker; 11/27/09.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 39 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.