Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So you are saying that the creation view has clearly trumped even if it is assigned to emotional causes?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That is no definition. That just says that viruses are alive when they are viruses and dead when they are no longer viruses. Do you realize that they are not included in the classification system used for living things. Is a dead frog still a frog? According to your definition it would not be. You can do better than that.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Notropis
Here again, Hawk. If the words don't mean what they say
The words in question are very clear, when read carefully. This is what I pointed out to you in explaining how you derived the wrong meaning due to your having missed some very definite clues as to how to correctly read and understand those words. I pointed out that "a" is singular. I pointed out that God wished to make for Adam a helpmate like unto himself, and that 1) beasts are not like unto him, and 2) they are many, while Eve was one, thus the singular "a." I pointed out that the Bible uses past tense in the Eden story when referring to the creation of the beasts and fowl. Put all that together (i.e., read it carefully), and you will have a correct understanding of the words.

In fact, the fact that in just the previous chapter it states that the beasts and fowl were created before Adam should have been enough for you not to make this mistake in interpretation. You should have used chapter one as a guide to interpreting chapter two, and you wouldn't have made the mistake.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Darwin's theory of Evolution by Natural Selection, from day one, never touched on the origin of life question. He may have offered some side speculations in that direction (as most biologists must), but his theory has nothing to do with that question.

The encyclopedia says:
The idea that all life evolved had been proposed before Charles Darwin published On the Origin of species. http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_evolution

I am not saying that Darwin's focus was one defining how life started. I am saying that the acceptance or rejection of macroevolution will be based how you think evolution relates to our origins.

It seems like we may be pretty close in our thinking, for we both believe in creation and microevolution. Where we probably differ is that you allow for the Creator to have initiated the macroevolutionary process where I would say every family of species was initially created with maturity.

I am differing more sharply with Brent's position than yours.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 11/25/09.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Darwin's theory of Evolution by Natural Selection, from day one, never touched on the origin of life question. He may have offered some side speculations in that direction (as most biologists must), but his theory has nothing to do with that question.

The encyclopedia says:
The idea that all life evolved had been proposed before Charles Darwin published On the Origin of species. http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_evolution

I am not saying that Darwin's focus was one defining how life started. I am saying that the acceptance or rejection of macroevolution will be based how you think evolution relates to our origins.

It seems like we may be pretty close in our thinking, for we both believe in creation and microevolution. Where we probably differ is that you allow for the Creator to have initiated the macroevolutionary process where I would say every family of species was initially created with maturity.

I am differing more sharply with Brent's position than yours.
Yes, I know.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hawk, You must be reading a different Bible. The motivation and time sequence are quite clear in my version. If my brother's Old Testament Professor at Union Theological Seminary in Richmond reads it the same way I do, I feel I am in fairly good company in thinking it contradicts. But, to each his own interpretation of the scriptures. That in itself points out the futility of trying to use scriptures in a discussion of science.

Thunder, What in the world is a family of species? That makes no sense at all in scientific terms.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is no definition. That just says that viruses are alive when they are viruses and dead when they are no longer viruses. Do you realize that they are not included in the classification system used for living things. Is a dead frog still a frog? According to your definition it would not be. You can do better than that.

You ask the question about viruses then take that answer into the context of frogs after rewording my definition. The rationale for what constitutes life for one segment of creation is not necessarily the same for another. Life is defined within the classification characteristics assigned to that classification.

This is simple grade school science and a rather stupid question for an adult.

It is like me asking you how you know that your brain is alive and not dead?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you are saying that the creation view has clearly trumped even if it is assigned to emotional causes?

Sure. There is no way to test the Bible creation theory that I know of. The Bible creation theory is a negative argument. Negative arguments can neither be refuted nor proven. Strictly emotion. Just like trying to prove or not prove there is a God.

Evolution, natural selection, theory can be tested and refuted or proven by scientific equipment, observation and generally accepted scientific procedures. Any evolutionary scientist can do a peer review of any other evolutionary scientist.

As a tax accountant, my work can stand peer review because of generally accepted accounting principles and tax law.

When I was cutting gem stones, gems could be identified by generally accepted identification procedures and scientific date.

If creation science is real science than show me real studies that can stand up to peer review especially by evolutionary scientists. All I've seen so far is emotion and faith. Emotion and faith cannot be reviewed.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That in itself points out the futility of trying to use scriptures in a discussion of science.

The Scripture is not intended to and won't be clear to those who walk in darkness and are not seeking the light.

But if our gospel be hid , it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thunderstick, no offense intended because I do like you, but it is obvious to those with even a little science education that you have had none.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Life begets life. Intelligent design precedes intelligent construction. Species reproduce after their kind. This is demonstrated every day and are the basic principles of creation. Those are facts!

Now demonstrate how matter evolves into life with evidence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notropis,

God made man in his own image.
God wanted a helper for man because it was not good that he be alone.
God made the animals and brought them to man.
No fit helper was found among the animals.
God made woman.
Woman was found to be a fit helper.

That's pretty much what It says.

The words on the page spell out both the motives and the order of actions. It is clear unless the words are not true. If that is the case, then other parts of the Bible may contain words that are equally untrue. If you get over the idea that every word is absolutely true as it appears on the page and try to determine what the story is trying to tell you, then you get a much fuller understanding of the message without having to do all the spinning.

With this explanation one exhalts himself above God; which is illogical. All that is necessary to understand God's Word is to read it naturally the way one reads these posts.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So, Thunder, life has no absolutes. "Life is defined within the classification characteristics assigned to that classification." So there is no clear boundary between life and nonlife, but you keep harping on how the importance of knowing how the first life started. Life has different characteristics in different assemblages of chemicals, but you still want us to define the cause of the origins of life? This is getting better all the time. Do you know how viruses are classified? They are not included in any classification system of living organisms. Do you know how viruses work?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only person that says matter evolves into life is you and your creationist buddies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just like trying to prove or not prove there is a God.

Gentlemen,
Check out this new to me link. I received it in an email today. www.proofthatgodexists.org

It is a very fun site.

Everyday Hunter
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So, Ringman, if that is pretty much what it says, lets us look back at Genesis 1:24-27.

24-25: God created the animals.
26-27: God made man in his own image, male and female.

That sure does seem to say something different from
what I said above to which you agreed.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Notropis
Hawk, You must be reading a different Bible. The motivation and time sequence are quite clear in my version. If my brother's Old Testament Professor at Union Theological Seminary in Richmond reads it the same way I do, I feel I am in fairly good company in thinking it contradicts. But, to each his own interpretation of the scriptures. That in itself points out the futility of trying to use scriptures in a discussion of science.

Thunder, What in the world is a family of species? That makes no sense at all in scientific terms.
When all the clues are considered together, it is very difficult to come to any meaning other than the one I explained. You must want to read it in such as way as to make it seem contradictory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
derby_dude,

The only person that says matter evolves into life is you and your creationist buddies.

Somewhere on the 24 hour campfire someone posted Miller's experiment as evidence,I think, to suport molecules to life. If you check, I think you will discover Milled and company were not creationists.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Life begets life. Intelligent design precedes intelligent construction. Species reproduce after their kind. This is demonstrated every day and are the basic principles of creation. Those are facts!

Now demonstrate how matter evolves into life with evidence.
It happens only if God wills it to, but evolution would not be the correct word for it, since evolution theory doesn't address this question.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ringman
derby_dude,

Somewhere on the 24 hour campfire someone posted Miller's experiment as evidence,I think, to suport molecules to life. If you check, I think you will discover Milled and company were not creationists.
Of course not. Are you suggesting that those who accept evolution are not free to study subjects other than evolution?

Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 8 invisible), 872 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,118
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.