Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rahtreelimbs,
Stop what you are doing, take a deep breath, and relax. I moved from the Detroit area to just south of Portland, Oregon. Culture shock is putting it mildly. The slower pace, the complete lack of what I saw as survival instincts, and the open friendliness of everyone I met weirded me out. When you come from the rust belt, you tend to view the attitudes and ideals of that area as normal. The fact is that what's normal depends on where you're standing when you make that judgment. I was fortunate in that I and my wife had contacts out that way who helped us acclimate to the area.

I suggest getting tied in to a church or social group of some sort and start making friends. Join a gun club or something. Having people around you that you can socialize with is an important part of being "home". For me, "home" is where ever my family and I land. I can tell you, when I embraced my new home, the thought of returning to Detroit for more than a few days evaporated.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wise words, good advice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rich,

I can understand wanting to move back, though I'd think you need to give Georgia a chance, you haven't been there too long. My cousin moved from PA to Georgia last year and he's absolutely enamored with it, though I can imagine it's not great for some people. I'd sooner donate a testicle than move that far south, but then again I'm a girl when it comes to the heat. Definitely try to get into some type of social activity, be it a gun club or whatever. Maybe find some kind of Georgia hunting forum online? You never know what's out there. Keeping an open mind about things may make all the difference!

I can understand missing Pittsburgh, though. For a decent city, it ain't all that bad. I do my best though to get the hell of out of here every weekend, especially last week due to the G20.

Last edited by Scorpion; 09/28/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have moved for work five times in the last 15 years. The longest we lived in any once place during that time was 6 1/2 years. If you take that city out of the equation, the other four places were lived in over the course of 9 years. Yikes!

Anway:

1. Accept the fact that you have moved and don't look back, no matter what. This, by far, is the biggest barrier to moving on.
2. Do everything you can to put yourself in a postion to make new friends (parties, local shooting range, groups that the chicks do in neighborhoods like Bunko, ladies night out, etc, anything that puts you in contact with the kind of people you like).
3. Force the issue if you must to do things separate from the wife. After moving, the "easiest" thing to do is hang with the spouse which prevents you from doing #2 above.

I think it takes about a year or so to acclimate, meet new people, and feel comfortable with the move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took us 2 years to adjust when we moved up here. So I'd say give it a couple of years. Most importantly take advantage of things you can do in your new local that you couldn't do in your previous local.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanx to all that contributed to this thread!

Well almost a week later and I am feeling a little better about everything. Went out and got my hunting license and will be going out with himmelrr next weekend!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can relate to some degree. Moved from Nebraska to Colorado this summer. Should be tall cotton, right? Mountains, elk, deer bear etc. but I have found it slow and hard to make connections with local hunters. Spoiled by my years back in Nebraska and Iowa, where we had our own ground and lots of connections. Now even finding a place to shoot is hard work. And many guys that I talk with apparently think that you are going to show up in their "hunting spot" when all you are looking for is some basic advice. I used to think it was only the fisherman that were tight lipped. So far it has not been great as far as the outdoor experiences go. It does take time, I know.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
'What is there to do' is always my favorite and pretty common reply amongst women. I just tell them you can do there what you do here, turn oxygen into carbon dioxide.

----------------------------------------------------------------
yet again -that's funny right there !

RAH -i lived a couple of years in marietta,ga. very nice area.

Go to www.gon.com it's an outdoor type website -very nice bunch of folks.
When you get a little older making friends becomes harder -it takes time !
Good luck to you and family !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never been any where more than 4 years since 1997. I got stationed back at home as a fluke, and the wife and I are itching to leave where we both grew up at. family may be here, but it just doesn't feel like home anymore. Besides the further away from the family, the less drama there seems to be.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hudge,

I hear you about family drama, luckily as a only child, we really don't have any in my family. We are still about the same distance from my in-laws, only now west of them instead of east! They are quirky, but OK.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well it's official.........the wife and I have decided to move back to Pittsburgh. Georgia just isn't home and doesn't do much for us!!!

Happier days are ahead!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I was talking to my wife about it last night. I hate to say this, but there's gotta be a support group around Atlanta for people from far off who have moved there.

Yankees anonymous grin

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
give it a year at least

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in eastern Oregon where we get about 12" of precip, and no one understands the "humidity" concept. I'm still running a 1977 Datsun 280Z and I had to replace the tailpipe and muffler at about year 20.

The eastern relatives won't come out because it rains all the time here.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
give it a year at least

Nope..........we have been here long enough. This just isn't our home!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope your renting and dont have a house to sell...may take a minute. Best of luck on your move back north.

Last edited by Adkstalker; 11/26/09.

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
give it a year at least

Nope..........we have been here long enough. This just isn't our home!

If that is what you guys want, then congratulations.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
Hope your renting and dont have a house to sell...may take a minute. Best of luck on your move back north.

Unfortunately will did buy a house.........but we thought we would be in Georgia forever!

One step at a time!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Like someone said -whatever makes you happy !

If that's where your heart is -it's great that you feel that way about 'home'...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Come on back Rich!

Call me when you get back home.

Check your PM's..... smile

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,605
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.