Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Unfortunately will did buy a house.........but we thought we would be in Georgia forever
MY fear is being stuck in TAX HELL WISCONSIN forever...

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

Unfortunately will did buy a house.........but we thought we would be in Georgia forever
MY fear is being stuck in TAX HELL WISCONSIN forever...

laugh

I think I'm leaving WI soon.

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tzone
MY fear is being stuck in TAX HELL WISCONSIN forever... laugh

I think I'm leaving WI soon. [/quote]

I KNOW we're leaving Illinausea soon, even had some interviews in Wisconsin. To hear you two talk, Wisconsin should definitely be taken off the radar. Wasn't my #1 anyway- gun laws being nearly as bad as they are here.
Would love to go somewhere that people actually welcomed you; folks are getting awfully protective against outsiders these days. It worries me that making friends, having a place to shoot, hunt, and fish, could all be difficult due to a cold reception.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I KNOW we're leaving Illinausea soon, even had some interviews in Wisconsin. To hear you two talk, Wisconsin should definitely be taken off the radar. Wasn't my #1 anyway- gun laws being nearly as bad as they are here.
Here's a few little gems coming up in this stupid state - from the NRA website:

On Tuesday, December 1 at 11:00 A.M., the Wisconsin State Senate Judiciary Committee will consider two anti-gun bills, Senate Bill 174 and Senate Bill 367. Both of these bills would infringe on rights of law-abiding gun owners and have no impact on crime.

SB 174 would require micro-stamping technology on all newly manufactured handguns sold in Wisconsin. If passed, the bill would require newly sold handguns to micro-stamp a unique code onto the cartridge case upon firing. This unproven technology will increase the cost of firearms, potentially putting them out of reach to some consumers. However, since no manufacturer currently sell a firearm capable of micro-stamping a cartridge case, it will effectively ban new handguns in Wisconsin. In addition, criminals could easily remove the microscopic codes from the firearm using using any number of commonly-owned household tools. This dangerous legislation needs to be defeated.

SB 367 would require gun-owners to report lost or stolen firearms within a 48-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment. If passed, this legislation could turn law-abiding gun owners --who have already been victimized by theft--into criminals for failing to report the loss of theft of a firearm within the require timeframe.

I just wish there was a season for liberals.. I'd definitely buy some tags...

Last edited by Redneck; 11/27/09.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I think we're coming back to MN. Have to decide by next week. The taxes in WI are crazy. People in MN complain about taxes, but they are the ones who've never lived in WI....Trust me on that.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
Hope your renting and dont have a house to sell...may take a minute. Best of luck on your move back north.

Unfortunately will did buy a house.........but we thought we would be in Georgia forever!

One step at a time!

Junior Samples was from Cumming. He loved it laugh

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's a shame what's going on in MN and WI (Illinois has been a septic tank forever). I lived in Iowa as a youth, and don't understand the thinking going on over there at all.
I've known folks that have moved from the north to Georgia (and not the ATL area) and were very happy, except for the heat/humidity that summer brings.
Sorry it didn't work out for the OP- hope moving back to Pitt works out for you and your family. It's easy enough to get depressed from govt., economy, etc. Not being happy with your surrounding environment just makes it worse. Trust me, I know.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think we're coming back to MN. Have to decide by next week. The taxes in WI are crazy. People in MN complain about taxes, but they are the ones who've never lived in WI....Trust me on that.
Hey, before you do that, you better check on some folks that live back there .. MN is now more highly taxed than WI..

From the Tax Foundation:

"Tax Freedom Day is the day when Americans finally have earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year. In 2009, Minnesota taxpayers had to work until April 15 (ranked 9th highest nationally) to pay their total tax bill, two days after national Tax Freedom Day (April 13). The Tax Freedom Days of neighboring states were: Wisconsin, April 13 (ranked 12th nationally); Iowa, April 4 (39th nationally); North Dakota, April 1 (46th nationally); and South Dakota, March 29 (47th nationally). "

And MN is poised to show a HUGE shortfall in incoming funds from taxes - businesses and homeowners are flocking into courts for assessment 'readjustments', and are winning.. They've got a potentially 4-6 BILLION dollar deficit looming.. (From the Pioneer Press this morning's front pages).

The only things we can do here now is to get rid of debt, make do with less, stock up on storable food items when on sale, buy in bulk, plant larger gardens, build canning shelves and fill 'em up, buy NOTHING that's not absolutely critical, get rid of (or reduce) all monthly expenditures.. You catch my drift..

When my Santa Fe comes off lease, I'm not buying it - going to make do with using my F-350.. While I'll spend a bit more for fuel, I'll get rid of a minor lease payment ($113) and yearly insurance ($750).. And just in time, since insurance rates will be going up here thanks to the mandatory, higher minimums now legislated here..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a job in NE Alabama about 11 years ago after having lived in NE Nebraska my entire life. On the surface it was going to be a good move for us. I went down first by myself, my wife and daughter were going to follow at semester break for daughter. Our son (in college)became very ill and I flew back only about 10 days after "moving" as my wife didn't need to deal with that by herself. Son came out of ICU the day after I arrived and subsequently fully recovered. While there, my wife and I had a lot of time to do some soul-searching, We decided I should try to come back to Nebraska, I called the company I had left and, surprisingly, they agreed to reinstate me to my previous position, without interrupting my time of service or my health insurance. I flew back to Alabama, tendered my resignation and was back at my former desk three days later. I (we) just simply decided that the Alabama opportunity (they had given me a 57% boost in base salary) was just not the right move at that point in time. Obviously, I wasn't there long enough to really formulate a cultural difference opinion and adapt to it, but in this case, it was not to be and I accepted that. We lived in Nebraska for 4 years longer before my wife was transferred to our current location, NW Arkansas. The transition from Nebraska to Arkansas was non-existant, it was natural and seamless. I still tell folks I'm from Nebraska (and to some extent, always will be) but we are at home here now.

Best wishes to you and your family on your return to PA. If a relocation is in your future, I sense you will know whether it's right for you very quickly. Just pray for guidance and signs, you will get what you ask for, if you are sincere in your request(s).

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who has the balls to call Pittsburgh a sh*thole, obviously hasn't visited the Youngstown, Ohio area. When the mills went down, that dirty old grease smear on the Ohio map really went to crap. I took a work transfer to Minnesota close to 20 years ago and never looked back. Period. I suppose if I wanted to live in an area where the roads are one big chunk of cold patch, there's no work, and the mob runs every business worth owning, I'd be heading back to Youngstown. There's something about the endless fishing opportunities, and the quality of the hunting, living, and life in general up here that keeps me in Minnesota. Home is where the heart is, and mine's firmly in my Minnesota stomping grounds.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yes, home is where the heart is.

my family and i moved from the NE Georgia mtns. to Cobb County many years ago. it was a culture shift. i'm tellin' ya.

anyways, we wound up further east, and in NE Georgia. a wonderful place, with wonderful schools, and relatively low taxes.

Cumming, and Forsyth County, on the western edge of Lake Lanier has shifted in the last 15 years or so. they own the best zipcodes in the State of Georgia. Commercial poultry growing, while still important, is not the King it use to be. Can anyone imagine purchasing a fancy house next to an existing commercial poultry farm? i can't.

if Georgia was tried and found lacking, it's easy to understand that one should seek a better alternative. Georgia is varied, with lot's of divergent cultures. On the other hand if i was from Chicago, i'm sure there's a little Chicago waiting on me in Georgia. same with New York, etc. etc. Georgia has an open door policy.

for me, i came off the farm, and found suburbia. Good public school systems are to die for. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by levrluvr
MY fear is being stuck in TAX HELL WISCONSIN forever... laugh

I think I'm leaving WI soon.

Would love to go somewhere that people actually welcomed you; folks are getting awfully protective against outsiders these days. It worries me that making friends, having a place to shoot, hunt, and fish, could all be difficult due to a cold reception. [/quote]

If you can find employment, move to Oklahoma.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[quote=ExpatFromOK
If you can find employment, move to Oklahoma.

Expat [/quote]

I wouldn't hesitate. I lived in Tulsa for 4 years (college) and loved it. Still have some family there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you a U of Tulsa alum? I graduated from there in 1987. Great school, great town. Come on back. I'm headed back as soon as the Army is done with me in a few years.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three months ago my family and I moved from Pittsburgh, Pa. to Cumming Ga. I have been down here steady for about 2 months. Everything was good up until 24 hours or so ago. My new job and the wifes job (the reason we relocated) are going good. I can seem to shake this feeling that I would rather be back in Pittsburgh. I realize that I need to give this more time but how much???

Know what you mean, but I moved here from my home in SD 27 years ago. It is an 8 hour drive to my home. My Mom still lived there. I miss the pheasant hunting and fishing but there were new horizons here. I can always go back to visit. But I like my new home!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Are you a U of Tulsa alum? I graduated from there in 1987. Great school, great town. Come on back. I'm headed back as soon as the Army is done with me in a few years.Expat

I finished my bachelor's at U of Tulsa after going to Spartan for A&P and comml. flight school. Left early 1983. My aunt and uncle have passed away since, but I still have a few cousins in the area. I would love to go back, but with this economy, we would need jobs in hand before leaving. It's not the best of times to just pack up and go, especially with a house to sell.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.