Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Built by master riflemaker, John Braxton of North Carolina. This rifle is designed for slugs, and has fast, shallow, modern twist. Built for gun writer and black powder historian, Don Kettlecamp. I saw this rifle featured in the Fall, 2001 issue of Black Powder Hunting, phoned Kettlecamp and asked if he would sell it. This rifle has hunted Africa, taken antelope and game up to Zebra. In North America it has accounted for Texas hogs, whitetail, and Arizona mountain lion. Don gave me his load development work with chronographed velocities, energies and Taylor K.O.s using slugs of 393 and 475 grains using powder charges stepping from 70-150 grains of Goex. Rifle is in lovely condition but shows honest wear in bluing and wood from use. Signs of careful use add to its historical appearance. To look at it you�d think your great, great grandpa saved this rifle for you in the old family chest that has been passed down. This belies modernity. The barrel is a 25 �� modern Douglas octagon. Weight is around 8-1/2 pounds. It has no action so AOL is only about 42��shorter than my MK-85. It carries sweetly because underhammers lack a wood fore end and are narrow ahead of the breach at the field carry point. This rifle uses fiber optic sights in a concession to the hunting rifle it was intended to be. Kettlecamp may have given me the original sights too. I shot it as he supplied it. The rifle hangs like a dream for offhand shooting. Most of the weight in the rifle is in the barrel. A tenon taps out and the barrel slides off the butt stock�a 3-second operation. Braxton might be persuaded to build up alternate barrels for you to have a switch barrel rifle. The breech and tang are color case hardened. The builder�s name is engraved in the tang. John Braxton has built rifles fashioning components by hand (not from kits) for 50 years, from pistols to cannons for historical institutions. Shipped in a hard case with handmade tools. This is a very satisfactory arm: thoroughly modern, capable of huge charges if you are inclined, yet has the handmade beauty of a traditional rifle of uncommon design. I�ll send along Kettlecamp�s 2-page letter introducing the rifle, explaining the game taken, its history and his load development work. If you can�t tell, I really like it. $750. Additional photos available.

[Linked Image]

JohnDeere
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Beautiful rifle, great description. May I ask why you choose to sell it?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beautiful description, even nicer rifle

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Actually, I fear i am deeply going to regret selling this rifle. But I've shot it very little, it's takin up space, and it needs to be in the hands of a man who will hold it in his hands more often, preferably as the hunting tool it was intended to be. The buyer of this piece will grin from ear to ear like I do whenever I pick it up and, I kid you not, your friends eyes will light up every time they handle the piece. I bet this was built by Braxton 12-15 years ago and have often wondered what it would cost to order another--expensive, I bet. I am passing it along at the same price Kettlecamp gave to me, which was the price he paid for it. This rifle is on its second butt stock (also from Braxton). Kettlcamp, on his AZ mtn lion hunt, apparently dispatched the mortally wounded lion by trapping the cat's neck to the ground and administered the coup de grace with a long bladed period knife. The cat, said Braxton, took an immediate disliking to the experience and bit the original butt stock severely. Colorful story for a colorful rifle. I like the piece of wood that graces the rifle now.

I have the Black Powder Magazine issue that featured this rifle back in the day I saw it when I phoned Kettlecamp to inquire about purchasing it. I'll send the magazine on to the purchaser.

I think I'd frankly be much happier if no one bought this rifle and I "had" to keep it.

Anyone who is seriously interested ought to see the rest of the photos. They are hi res and you can see the craftsmanship.

Last edited by JohnDeere; 12/21/08.

JohnDeere
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
beautiful...big bump!

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
BTT

JohnDeere
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
SPF

JohnDeere
S
S
John do you still have the underhammer for sale ??
Mike Garson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1minute, 163bc, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.