Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I never claimed to be PC and I'm not bashful or cowardly in speaking out on things which I and many others know are wrong and need to be addressed. Long range shooting has nothing to do with hunting skill, it's all about ego. If the OP wasn't trying to brag, he wouldn't have posted the distance he shot the deer at.

When someone chooses to shoot at an extended distance when there are options to get closer it isn't about hunting. It's about ego or laziness, or some other twisted logic. The OP at one time hunted with a handgun which requires you to get close to the animals. Now he sits on ridge tops and snipes at deer when he clearly could have gotten closer. If we as hunters don't speak out or police our ranks about tactics and equipment used in the fields while pursuing game, the politicians certainly will.

That same type of equipment pictured was presented on the Military Channel when discussing sniper rifles and equipment used by sniper teams. Why would someone buy equipment like that for hunting unless they had some other deficiency they were trying to make up for? Why not just by a Barret rifle in 416 Barrett or 50BMG and than you could shoot mule deer, elk, moose, bears at distances measured in miles? Heck, why not just get some night vision goggles and then you don't even need to worry about the weather or time of day?

The animals we pursue and hunt haven't changed in the last 100+ years. So what has changed? Why all of the sudden is it acceptable and necessary to use guns and equipment better meant for killing soldiers at extreme ranges? The only thing that has changed is the people carrying the equipment. They want to stroke their ego, brag, and get the instant gratification of killing an animal. They don't want to put in the hours and resources needed to get closer to the animals. They want to sit on one mountain top and shoot to the other instead of stalking within reasonable ranges.

The same disease that is infecting the hunting family has already polluted American Society and will never go away unless people stand up and speak out. That disease is the PC entitlement mentality.

Sounds like you are an angry and intolerant man (again, drawing from your own words)...I think you might consider (maybe you already have), going back to what will allow your conscience to be clean and either make a longbow or make a spear (as long as it meets state guidelines of course). I would suggest snares/traps, but they may be illegal in many places.

Please note the sarcasm:
Hunting with smokeless powder with weapons using optics or iron sights has nothing to do with hunting skill.
Now the one who sits on ridge tops and snipes at deer when he clearly could have gotten closer is unethical. If we as hunters don't speak out or police our ranks about tactics and equipment used in the fields while pursuing game, the politicians certainly will.

I can make your words (with some additions) fit to a number of different styles of hunting.
Intolerance to your definitions seems to be extreme.
Most of us are proud when we accomplish personal goals. There sure wouldn't be anything wrong with you posting of your hunt and the stalking skills it took for you to get your animal that you with your handmade longbow.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dmsbandit,

Can anyone honestly say that shot was the only shot the OP had?

I see a ridge line that he could have very easily walked behind to get within 300-400 yds of that deer. That thread and those photos proves the point I feel about long range shooters. The OP is playing G.I. Joe Sniper and not hunting. That equipment he has pictured there is the same type of equipment used by military snipers all over the world. I have more respect for the guy that uses an over the counter factory rifle from Remington, Savage, marlin, Ect., to make the 400 yd shot than I could ever have for someone that uses his wallet and custom snipers rifles. That kind of shot with that equipment is like shooting fish in a barrel. There is no honor in it and it is nothing for HUNTERS to be proud of.

I got half way down teh second page and discovered some garbled post. It reminds me of something I taught my kids when they were growing up: That is if you don't respect someone anything they say is like the wind in the trees. There is a noise, but there is no communication.

Since no one here is listening to you, go away.

Edited to add:
They want to stroke their ego,
Whose stroking their ego here? I think it is you.

Last edited by Ringman; 11/30/09.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
$30,000.00 in reloading equipment, but can't afford an AR15??

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i thought the same...
now what could tie up that kind of coin, and he shoots only normal calibers ?
can't be a progressive, cuz he don't shoot enough to burn that amount of ammo it could produce.
nor is it as accurate as hand weighed, sorted, prepped, etc... ammo.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He is a troll.

But to humor him I do not have a 30K reloading setup but still have a very nice room set aside for my hobbies.

If you do shoot that much then I apoligize for questioning your dedication. I do however understand why you are so angry about the LRH. If I practiced as much as I do and could only hit targets out to 400 yards I would be pissed off (or jelous) as well. I completely understand.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
dmsbandit

You just wasted your breath, save you lecture for the land of the ignorant in NY.

They want to stroke their ego, brag, and get the instant gratification of killing an animal

You're obviously talking to yourself.

Mosey on troll, you're just wasting bandwidth here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$1500-2000 for an AR type rifle will buy alot of powder, primers, bullets, and ammo for any of the guns I already own.

If all I had to hunt with was my FAL or SKS, I would keep the ranges within reason and kill my deer.

My FAL was bought over 15 years ago and cost less than $500 so the is 1/3 the price of a AR style rifle.

When you load and shoot for over 40 different calibers you tend to have many die sets, types of powders, and many brands and types of bullets. That adds up fast and has been aquired over 25 years of hunting and competitive shooting.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow, you're a big spender.

Tell us more about how great you are. You don't seem bashful about it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You are a [bleep] idiot. Ya, straight to the name calling, you earned it. Go shoot that Marlin some more! LMAO. 30 grand in reloading equipment, and 200 bucks into a rifle, what a tool.

As aside, why do guys like you come to the LONG RANGE FORUM? If it aggravates you thats fine. Simple solution: dont come.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,
The one good thing it does do when we deal with trollish posters, is let us explain what LRH is about to those who read but rarely post.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those $300 marlins sure are junk. I can't imagine how they can sell them.

I came to this forum because I noticed another topic of interest and saw this thread from another sight.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I came to this forum because I noticed another topic of interest and saw this thread from another sight.

Sir,
That is not the issue here.
Good shooting BTW.
The issue is that you have been in a name calling attack mode from the beginning, and have not been willing to reason with anyone, yet will happily post on rabbit trail issues.

As you have already seen we can post some groups at twice the distance or further that will be as small or smaller than yours. Since you do not shoot the further distances, I don't see the reasoning here, unless...the reasoning is, "If I can shoot this good with these types of weapons at these ranges, just imagine how accurate you guys will be with the LR rigs!"

I am glad you get satisfaction from shooting your favored rifles.
Imagine that, we are the same.
We take pride in shooting our rifles (specialty pistols for me) as well, but we just do it at further distances

As for me, your short range shooting skill is not in question.
Was that from the bench or shooting from a field/hunting position?
I am assuming from the amount of gear you own, you are not a whippersnapper. Just imagine how different this thread could have been if you would have started respectfully???
You still could have stated your convictions.
It seems like it is okay for you to attack and name call, but when the tables are turned, you become defensive-Imagine that crazy
Acting your age would have got you a lot further down the road, regardless of the reason you came to this forum.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In light of what XP said above. In the future if you come in here and see something that you do not agree with it would go a long way to state your concerns and possibly ask some questions so that you understand. A PM is a great way to do this and you do not ruin the guys thread.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good job there jwp475 !!

Great post and pictures as usual.

-Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dang.... look what I missed....

All I can say is 1500 rounds at this point in a year doesn't impress me at all. When I was shooting a lot, I'd have in 10,000 plus of 223 alone, not counting 22, dry firing and handguns... Not uncommon at all to dump 20,000 plus rounds a year downrange.... 1500 wouldn't even be a warm up.

Don't know about 30K of loading stuff, I might if I started adding it might scare me, I know this, I wasn't scared to buy a 200 pound keg of powder more than once..... Not afraid to drop 10,000 on bullets given the right deal etc....

Anyway another poster had it right, first its our choice and frankly no one elses business. You do what you want I'll do what I want. Much like my bedroom.....what the wife and I do....

Second if it works and is legal whats the rest of the issue? Bow works so use it it you want to. But its not the bow, its the archer, and much the same with the rifle.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another photo of the land scape

[Linked Image]

I even pushed a some cows a few miles to a new pasture

[img][IMG]http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l470/thebrazoskid/020_20.jpg[/img][/img]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But you could have rapelled down to the stream, carved a boat out of something... and paddled across and roped up the other side to get closer.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He also could have built a ramp purchased a motorcycle and jumped the canyon.

You see there is always a way to get closer sometimes more than one grin

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,357
Posts18,527,093
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.