Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had ordered a new upper from Specialized Dynamics out of Arizona, and it got to my door right before Thanksgiving.

Replacing the upper on my Bushmaster Predator, it is lighter, has an 18" barrel, and handles better, shoots better than the previous upper. I took it out hunting coyotes & it performed great!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then I painted it to match my rifle buttstock with the camo...

[Linked Image]

I love the way products get better and better!

If you want to visit his website: www.specializeddynamics.com

They still build them by hand and take the time to do it right, test fire each one, and make the most accurate AR money can buy.

I just like they way they do things, and in today's world not enough people give credit where credit is due. You only hear about the bad experiences people have with stuff. Well, this is a POSITIVE note... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
NICE upper!

Looked at the web site and saw a few things, custom gun at 1900 bucks with a mil spec standard trigger... Thats in line with Wilson etc....yet with a basic crud trigger... I think there are possibly as accurate a rifles out there for less money... just saying.

You'll see lots of posts here touting how well and how reasonable WOA and WOP do... They do it all by hand too, and national champions at that so they do know accuracy...

ANd I'm not saying use WOA instead, just saying your folks are far from reasonable IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I guess the bottom line is performance. While it may not come cheap, it IS there. The guy that makes the uppers shoots long-range competions with the upper pictured above, and wins, and that's with his trigger as well. He re-works the trigger to be much more than a milspec trigger, and they break at 3 pounds nicely.

I don't feel like $1900 is out of line for a truly custom rifle when Bushmaster sells models like the Predator or Varminter for not much less than that.
Then you get to their custom shop.... http://www.bushmaster.com/bcs/BCWPMR18.asp

May not be for everyone's tastes though. wink

Last edited by rockinbbar; 12/02/09. Reason: add link

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
THats what I was saying about others too, WOA is a national champion, not only a competitor, his name is well known at the nationals as civilian champ more than a few times... his stuff drives tacks. And it doesn't cost the 1900...

But we've done this discussion time and again, if folks want to pay more and feel better for same performance thats fine.

Bushmaster having a custom shop is enough of a joke that I won't even look. I"ve driven ARs for a long time now and have a few accolades of my own over the years at nationals, even having beaten a 10 time national champ... Bushmaster and custom shouldn't even be in the same phrase. And lets not start on their "match" triggers...

Of course the way I get to cheaper is buy a standard lower, yank the trigger put a good tuned RRA or other trigger in it, that was leaving me around 350 bucks. Most any upper WOA sells will be 1000 bucks give or take even with a Krieger(which is same quality as Rock) I'd still come in less than 1900.

The beauty of this post is that it seems you got what you wanted AND it drives tacks evidently. Thats the whole goal.

I know I'll swap barrels out as not all are quite the same even from teh top makers, if my WOA/WOP uppers won't shoot 5 shot groups of 2-3 inches or less at a full 600 yards.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rockinbbar, very nice looking AR and I really like the paint job.

but I gotta agree with rost on this one , there guns are way over priced for what you are getting. Below is there price and what the gun comes with

MFR 18" Predator
The MFR Predator came about because our love of coyote hunting. Every fall through spring we get out as much as we can to chase down the elusive hunter.

One thing that bothered me when I was out during the early fall and spring here in Arizona was wearing electronic muffs while hunting. It gets rather warm and wearing those muffs were very uncomfortable. We decided to make a custom AR-15 just for chasing coyotes and other predatory animals.

What we did is turned the barrel so there is no muzzle device. We also put a 11degree target crown on the barrel, which enhances the accuracy of these great shooting barrels.

Our first prototype was delivered to a friend here in Arizona and he got amazing accuracy with it. Clint put on a US Optics scope and shot 1/2 MOA group his first outing. Now I'm having a hard time getting it back from him. Happy Hunting Clint!!

Features:

■18" Rock Creek Stainless 1-8 Twist Barrel
■Standard Mil-Spec Trigger
■Aluminum Free Float Tube
■A-1 Stock
$1899

*All configurations are done to Specialized Dynamics specifications, not military specifications

Stock Upgrades
Magpul PRS $250
Magpul UBR $250

Trigger Upgrades
JP Trigger $179
Timney Single Stage Trigger $225

Handguard Upgrades
Yankee Hill Free Float Rifle Rail $122
Daniel Defense M4 Rifle Rail $259

Bobcat photo
Hover here, then click toolbar to edit content

As rost said the only outstanding part of that set up is the rock barrel and they want 1899.

I would take an Armalite M15 T with the nat. match trigger any day over that and the Armalite is 1299. retail.

Not trying to knock what you have as it sounds like it is an awesome shooter but their guns are way over priced IMO.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So do you get a rebate if you sell another one for them?

Their prices are too high but I guess you didn't pay that much did you.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Actully I did. Well, not really because I just got the upper, and didn't need the lower. I don't have an issue with what I got for the money.

I just needed a longer range AR than my M-4 for hunting coyotes, and I just wasn't "clicking" with the stock Bushy Predator upper.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What load does it shoot the best with? Do you still have the Bushmaster Predator Upper? I like the paint job .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey there rockin... what kind of scope mount did you set up your optics with? i need to invest in one soon.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rockinbbar, next time your needin a new upper check these folks out at WOA

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/complete_uppers.htm

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bea,

I think it shoots really well with anything you feed it, but I'm with the 55gr V-Max bullets. I know the long range stuff needs heavier fodder, but I'm not going to try & shoot coyotes much beyond 400 with it.

I do still have the Bushy upper.

Tommy, I have just a Leupold 3-9x40 on it now. I'm waiting for a Tactical scope from Weaver that will round it out. That LaRue mount is the cat's meow though. It's not going anywhere.

Jimmyd, I actually sold a WOA 7 twister 20" flutted stainless bull upper to get this upper. I thought I was better to be with an 8 twister for my purposes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i just picked up a nice little s&w m&p15, ordered a LaRue mount (for $200! i hate it when that happens...) and am thinking of going down to academy tomorrow for a Leupy 3-9x40 in matte.

am thinking of camo-ing the whole thing, actually. it's a brand new rifle, 16" bbl, 1:9 twist, 6 pos. stock. i'm gonna get all the components together, cleaned, and assembled, then i'm gonna think seriously about camo-ing the whole thing. scope, mount, all the metal and the furniture.

i like your pattern, but it's not what i want. not brown enough.

any tips on keeping the lenses clean and paint-free? painter's tape?

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, I just mask off the lenses with the blue masking tape, and cut out a piece to go over the power setting dial when I paint the scope. Sometimes I use an old set of lens caps to cover the glass.

Here's a simple tutorial.

http://www.predatormastersforums.co...b=showflat&Number=1221910&page=1

It's easy, and durable. You can match the camo colors you want.

Barry

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Bea,

I think it shoots really well with anything you feed it, but I'm with the 55gr V-Max bullets. I know the long range stuff needs heavier fodder, but I'm not going to try & shoot coyotes much beyond 400 with it.

I do still have the Bushy upper.

Tommy, I have just a Leupold 3-9x40 on it now. I'm waiting for a Tactical scope from Weaver that will round it out. That LaRue mount is the cat's meow though. It's not going anywhere.

Jimmyd, I actually sold a WOA 7 twister 20" flutted stainless bull upper to get this upper. I thought I was better to be with an 8 twister for my purposes.

Sold a 7 to pay for an 8. What pray tell moved you to those thoughts? Especially since I stabilize 52s in a 6.5 twist?
If you are only shooting 400 yards it doesn't take much accuracy or too great of a bullet to make do. Its when you pass into 500 and beyond with the 223 that its a must have for heavier pills vs the wind mostly.

How accurate is that upper with what you are running for ammo at 400?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
rost,

The WOA was on an EOP reciever. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. wink

To explain my thought process on wy I wanted a rifle I could shoot coyotes at 400 +- yards is that when calling open country, sometimes previously educated coyotes will hang up at ranges that I consider too far for my M-4 carbine. I generally won't try anything past 300 yards with that rifle.

I slow down my V-Maxes to under 3000 fps because they kill predators better that way. They won't shoot as flat, but they won't splash on coyotes and bobcats and have them run off either.

I have an Armalite Match rifle w/ 24" bbl that I've used to put down coyotes at 450 or so, but that rifle's not real handy on fast close up coyotes.

I've not had time to get the new upper out to 400 yards yet, but, I have faith! smirk

Barry

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin Barry, I'm sure you can tell by now, on this forum we all have very stong opinion's of what's right and wrong and voice that opinion strongly.
Buff up a bit and then ya can pack that Armalite grin Best of luck with that new upper and wack a bunch of yotes..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i'm all over that predator calling stuff.

it's just that i'm out there all the time, and having a gun that can smack consistently at 300 is important. and be small. any rifle i'm gonna hang offa the gator and tool across Rancho Tomas is gonna have to be tougher than one of those yoo-dee-layy-hee-hoo high dollar thingies you all got there.

no offense to anyone. please. if that's your thing, go for it, folks that raise beef love you for it.

have another burger.

this unit i'm working on (spending huge amounts of money on...) has gotta be a working rifle. i've whacked serious deer with my 1:7, and numerous 'yotes and hogs. i had a good 1:9 i "loaned" to my cousin, inclusive of a good base level ACOG. haven't gotten that one back at this point, so i got another. this one's a smith, a company i've got a lotta faith in.

rifle hasn't even been cleaned yet, i've got one of those high-zoot QD larue mounts coming for the flattop, and i'm eyeing just out and out buying a matte 3-9x40 leupy, then getting everything ironed out sling-wise and scope-wise... then taping it all up and trying to do a real random, winter tan kinda camo job on the whole thing. light browns. laying sheafs of johnson grass across the rifle as a black background pattern... something random yet refined, urban yet redneckool. we'll see what i come up with...

i think this package will work sexceptionally well out to 2-300 yds. and perhaps at close range also. a 3-9 DOES have a "3" setting after all.

cheers to all. thanks for your input sirs.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Rockinbbar,

It looks like it is a fine gun. Enjoy the snot out of it and I hope you burn the barrel out of it. Then you can have another built!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My current off-duty/varmint carbine is a LaRue Stealth Sniper 16-in. perched on a Charles Daly lower. The glass is a veteran Leupold 3-9x40 mounted on a set of Weaver See Thrus high enough for me to get a cheek weld. I blithely don't even have BUIS.

It shoots Remington Express 55 grain SP loads into .75 in. It was good enough to bust a coyote at about 90 yards last Friday.
Christmas gift for the current gun. JIC...

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/03/09.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Barry

Why are you scared to run the 16 at 400. Especially since you are purposely downloading the rounds to run slower? I've seen well built 16 inch uppers shoot under 3 inches at 600....

And yeah don't take our ragging to hard, its just hard to see someone spend more than they need to on a gun.

BTW did you miss teh question on why switching twists?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.