Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I can't speak for Dr. Oehler or Shane, but a 38 loaded with the OAL of a 357 (There are 38's you can do this with) is going to have more velocity potential with more powder than a std 38 load fired in a 38, at the same pressure. But why not just use 357 mag brass if you are loading them to that OAL? Is 357 mag brass built to withstand higher pressure than 38 specials? (I don't know but it seems like it would be)
357 cases don't fit most 38's, that I'm aware of. Lessining bullet jump can also be advantageous, so people do it. As far as brass goes, it depends, but can be ascertained without guessing.

When housed in 357s they can be worked up to similar levels as, well, a 357.....and exceed book velocities of a 38, with more powder and pressure and be totally safe. Your basically using speed and pressure data for essentially the same volume of space.

Capacity allows increases in speed.

Wadcutter loads are lighter than SWC loads at the same pressure, for a reason, a 222 Mag will shoot faster than a 223, for a reason.

Get a strain gauge or quit reloading? Fine. I won't beat you over the head with it. I absolutely never said any such thing. I've said that same thing all along - that I think exceeding the Powder companies load data by 4-6 grains and getting velocities 200fps faster isn't good safe reloading practice. Neither are switching primers, in some folk's opinion (not mine)

OK, I assumed (incorrectly) that if you were seating to 357 length you were shooting 38's in a 357 chamber - my bad.

But if I was wanting to shoot 357 velocities I'd probably just buy a 357 instead of a 38. Do most of the manuals list +P data for 38spl? It's not that close to 357 data is it? (I'm away from home at the moment so can't check).....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a dog in this fight, but, all them stripes mean Master Gunnery Sergeant, I think (we don't have them in the Air Force).

One does not get there in the Marines being the type of person who throws caution to the wind. The few I've known take calculated risks, and mitigate whatever is working against them.

I'm with Shane on this one, again, since I took exactly the same position on the similar 308 post for just exactly the same reasons.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can't speak for Dr. Oehler or Shane, but a 38 loaded with the OAL of a 357 (There are 38's you can do this with) is going to have more velocity potential with more powder than a std 38 load fired in a 38, at the same pressure. But why not just use 357 mag brass if you are loading them to that OAL? Is 357 mag brass built to withstand higher pressure than 38 specials? (I don't know but it seems like it would be)
357 cases don't fit most 38's, that I'm aware of. Lessining bullet jump can also be advantageous, so people do it. As far as brass goes, it depends, but can be ascertained without guessing.

When housed in 357s they can be worked up to similar levels as, well, a 357.....and exceed book velocities of a 38, with more powder and pressure and be totally safe. Your basically using speed and pressure data for essentially the same volume of space.

Capacity allows increases in speed.

Wadcutter loads are lighter than SWC loads at the same pressure, for a reason, a 222 Mag will shoot faster than a 223, for a reason.

Get a strain gauge or quit reloading? Fine. I won't beat you over the head with it. I absolutely never said any such thing. I've said that same thing all along - that I think exceeding the Powder companies load data by 4-6 grains and getting velocities 200fps faster isn't good safe reloading practice. Neither are switching primers, in some folk's opinion (not mine)

OK, I assumed (incorrectly) that if you were seating to 357 length you were shooting 38's in a 357 chamber - my bad.

But if I was wanting to shoot 357 velocities I'd probably just buy a 357 instead of a 38. Do most of the manuals list +P data for 38spl? It's not that close to 357 data is it? (I'm away from home at the moment so can't check).....................DJ

Your missing the point. Its an example, but it works if you try it.

I never said loads would equal a 357 in the 38 gun. They would require more powder and get more velocity if loaded to the pressures of a standard load (its not magic) especially over a wadcutter load, because of capacity. Period. And you won't find the gun's max listed in a manual

In a gun strong enough, they can go to pressure levels of the 357 loads safely, without magic. Its just an example, no riddle. The max for that load isn't in the manual for a 38, yet it can be safe, ya know? The max load for that gun ain't in the freaking manual! .

No more, no less. If you are inclined to do it, its there. If not, don't. Simple.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Montana,
On the subject of pressures, I had posted this on the 7.62x51mm working pressures in another thread on US Sniper Ammunition:

The 172-gr FMJ BT ammunition for the M-60 machine gun is larger diameter than the standard 145 to 148-gr M80 ball bullets. It was loaded with 41 grains of IMR-4475 behind a 172-gr match bullet and produced 67,500 psi in a bolt action M-24 or M-40 rifle.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.