Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Joel S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My knees are bad and this year they are really bothering me. For the last week or 2 we have actually been getting kinda cold (finally). Anyway, what works to relieve the pain for sore joints. I dont believe in hospitals and I'm sure other people here have the same problem. any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vodka! [Linked Image]<BR>I have tried Ben-Gay, or Heet in the passed. Helps some. <BR>I take pain killers for pain, having been born with a spine disease, that has been reducing the mobility along the spine. I live in constant pain, differing levels of it through the day. Not a damn thing modern medicine can do about it. Not yet, at least. ~~~Suluuq

J
Joel S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Suluuq,<BR>I've thought of that, I dont think my boss would like it though. I've tried flexall, ben-gay, cold packs, hot towels, knee braces, tylenol.<BR>theres got to be some home remedy out there that works.<BR>Although the vodka is sounding better by the minute [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Joel: The last few years, once in a while I'll get quite a bit of pain in the knuckles, and elbows. My Wife a few years back tried to start me on a Supplement called: Glucosamine 500mg and Chondroitin 400mg. I refussed for a long time but then got smart and lisened to her. I saw one of the old western actors James Coburn, who had crippled hands (probably from the same thing) talk about this. The stuff really works. I still don't take it the way suggested (1 tablet 3 times a day) but take one or two every couple of days. And I don't have that pain anymore.<P>Phil

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Joel S, sounds like ya got yourseld a little case of osteoarthritis(I AM NOT DIAGNOSING HERE), A very simple way to help this is to unload the joint that is causing the problem, a simple heel wedge will go along way in helping this, If your knees our painful on the inside a small wedge that is 1/8 inch to 3/8inch taperd to 0 can be placed in the inside of your shoe with the thick end placed beneath the outside of the foot, and vice vers if the pain is on the outside of the knee, good luck, BEARHUNTER

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Joel S., a piece of lead in the ear will surely ease the pain in your knees. [Linked Image]<P>I know how you feel, I turned 33 and feel like I'm falling apart. I screwed up my right knee last year packing out a buck and will probably need surgery to correct it but like you I don't care for hospitals and have been putting it off hoping it will fix itself. Try Alleve for sore joints and aches, it's an antinflamitory and helps ease the pain. Good luck...'ya old fart'. [Linked Image]

J
Joel S Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna give them a try.<BR>Its on the inside of the knee. if we do a 3-5 mile hike, by the time we get back I'm liming and my knee is quite swollen.<BR>This is another thing I'm gonna chaulk up to uncle sam.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Joel,<P>I've got to second Greyghost with the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I'm 50 years old and have been physically active all my life. This past summer, while working on forest fires, my cervical (neck) spine joints started giving me such problems that I thought I might have to have surgery. I started the Glucosamine/Chondroitin at 1 pill per day and within two weeks I had full range of movement with no pain.<P>Also, ibuprofen (Nuprin)is a great pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. When I know that I am going to be active, I take one or two before activity, and then don't get sore joints or stiffen up like I would have, had I not taken the ibuprofen.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Joel S - I broke my arm in 18 places and hand/fingers 21 from falling out of tree (don't ask) so even with the slightest cold I am in pain. I have found that alternating hot paks and cold paks every 15 minutes for an hour does wonders for me. Another great supplement I still use is Rutin. Between the paks and Rutin life is good. Toons

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the been there, done that category (though I don't know how anyone can keep up with Mrs. Knievel over here), broke the left elbow when I was 20, had it rebuilt three times, finally got Tommy John surgery, and now it's good if not great. <P>I used to take Indocin, a prescription NSAID that works great on joints and is murder on kidneys and stomach lining. Switched to Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) which is good on joints and not so good on kidneys and stomach lining. <P>I'm with Smokey Joe. When I know I'm going to be working, I take one or two Advils before and after. Helps tons. But otherwise I try to grin and bear it as much as I can (how noble). <P>Where did you guys hear about Glucosamine and Chondroitin, how come I never have, where do I get it, and is it FDA approved??<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FYI - I did the arm/hand break combo all in one fall....

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rick: Glucosamine and Chondroitin, is not a drug. It's a natural mineral supplement, and supports the regeneration of joints. It is sold in most Health food stores, drug stores, and pharmacy. It is not a drug, and therefore is not supported or disproved by the FDA. The ones I use are manufactured by Schiff, and a 150 caplets cost approx. $17.<P>My wife uses a non sodium type which cost more. I think around $25-30.<P>Phil<P>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Phil. Gonna hafta try it.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rick, and the Others: Just remember that this is not a pain killer. Takes about 2-3 weeks before you notice a difference. And then all of a sudden you'll realize that the joints aren't hurting anymore.<P>Phil

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Rick and others: In one of my previous lifetimes, I was in the health food business. I've put a lot of study into nutritional supplements and their benefits. Here's a very mainstream article that ran in USA Today about Glucosamine. I think the two to three weeks can be a bit optimistic. My experience is that it can take as long as two to three months. But the benefits for many people are quite significant. I'm going to just paste in the link, because I don't know how to do a hot link. Just paste it into your browser and go. Oh yeah, Schiff has the least expensive offering, near as I can tell. If you have a Costco in your vicinity, theres a combo product (Schiff Pain Free or Move Free [you'll see it under both names]). None of the nutritional supplements are cheap, but you have to decide for yourself if they're worth it. Thanks, Rex<P><A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/arthri/lhart002.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.usatoday.com/life/health/arthri/lhart002.htm</A>

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Oh, look! It automatically became a hot link. How nice! Guess I didn't have to know how, after all. <Grin> Rex

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't stay long. Just chiming in on the Glucosamine and Condroiton. We had a 12 yr old shepherd wolf mix who lost control of his hip joints. He got to the point where he needed help to get to a standing position. The vet advised Glucosamine and Contoiton. We saw improvement in 2 days. In 2 weeks he was back to his old self (trying to kill my lab. when he got the chance) <P>He is gone now, when dogs get old they get old all over. It helped him for a while.<P>Rick

Rick

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one else has mentioned this one so I thought I would chime in. Take a box of normal white raisins and soak it in a bottle of cheap vodka or gin. After a week, throw away the vodka :-( and eat 9 raisins a day. Had a friend with a lot of knee pain and it worked wonders for him. At least they have a nice little tang to them and add a lot of good minerals, etc. They are also easy to pack on a hunt. <P>As to pains, we don't want to go there. When I had my back surgery in May, I was asked if I had ever had surgery before. Got up to 8 before we ran out of room on the form. Been an active life and I am paying for it not. Not complaining though. I wore it out, it didn't rust up! <P>------------------<BR>Traveling Man

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Joel I can relate. Mine are the back/shoulder/knee/ and foot. A friend told me he took three aleve in the morning and 3 aleve at night for his back pain. I tried 2 aleve am 2 aleve pm. and stretched out am and pm. This helped a lot. I climbed 2 mountains in 1 day this last season and only got tired.I didn't have the cramps in the middle of the night . Hope this helps.<P>------------------<BR>kootz

goldbelt
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joel, I agree with greyghost, I take the stuff in powder form. Really helps out on a lower back pounded by trucks and a shoulder torn up by competitive handball. Since the pain is gone I take the stuff 2-3 times a week. I have strong knees but to insure that they remain healthy I wear neoprene knee braces and I think they have helped keep my knees healthy. I wear them when climbing, working out and bending a lot. I'll be fifty this year and I feel very good although it takes longer to recover, from an injury. It seems like I have one pain that rotates around my body.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.