Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good camo..no kidding!

This little guy was south of Glasgow...close to Triple Cross Res......

Seen a few in the Pryors...in the desert, south of Billings...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by Mosaic_Lynn
A quart Mason jar full of pot....
Finding it in the cupboard doesnt count... grin

Actually I was with my Dad hunting, it was November 1978, it was near Uxbridge, Ontario. He wanted me to go with him, maybe spend some extra time learning to shoot. My Dad liked the outdoors, hunting, fishing and he shared it with my Mom, myself and my brothers. Some of my fondest memories of time with him were in the outdoors. God rest his soul, I hope there is plenty of hunting and fishing in the beyond, I'd like to think he stills gets to do his favorite things.

Lynn

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you weren't happy about the time it was all burnt up...

You were doin' it wrong..... grin

Ingwe

Nah, we did it right. But we ran out of it, and wished we had more, or burnt it more sparingly. The jar is still around today, fulls of nuts and bolts and odds and ends grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
that's the only responsible thing to do. burn that stuff up and make sure it's gone.

wink

ABSOPOLUTELY !!!! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Found a cave in the side of a cliff with a water fall coming out. Found several old homesteads in the way back country and a couple of graves. Found an old kerosene drop cook stove miles from anywhere. Found a couple of deer and three bears and shot them. grin

Guess I never found anything real strange.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well...at any rate, its good that you did your civic duty...

and destroyed the contraband!!! wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I normally find a lot of stuff outside of hunting season or when I cruised timber.

Lot of stuff people used to work the woods with. I've found a ton of those little tin pans that are half moon shaped that they used to stick on the side of longleaf pine trees for turpentine.

Found a Remington 700 leaned up against a tree that had been there a long time. I never could get the bolt open.

A metric ton of pocket knives that apparently people kill a squirrel or something and go to skin it and stick the knife in the tree and walk off and leave it.

Once in Katirina TX I was walking down a sendaro in the summer and a little 0.10" rain came up in the middle of a big draught. On the walk back after the rain I probably found 100 arrowheads in the same 200 yards I had just walked before it rained and didn't see any. Was barely even a rain.

You find a lot of homestead style stuff in the national forest here because it used to be cotton farms before the government bought it. Old jars, fence stuff, chimneys standing by themselves. That sort of stuff.

Last edited by NathanL; 12/06/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good camo..no kidding!

This little guy was south of Glasgow...close to Triple Cross Res......

Seen a few in the Pryors...in the desert, south of Billings...

Ingwe

never found them down in the badlands, always found them in the short grass in about a 20 foot strip along the top of the badlands and not really anywhere else, though that may just have been where they were thickest.......we would walk slow, staring at the ground watching for movement and thats how we found them.....but it was one of those things where we knew they were there we just had to find them......wouldnt doubt ive damn near stepped on them in other places but they are hard to see unless your looking for them......have caught them from lil tiny hatchlings that could sit on your thumbnail to adults 4 or 5 inches long....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This guy was thumbnail size...thanks for confirming rattler!

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Wen I was about 15 about 45 yeas ago, I was kickin up old stuff from a real old burned down place and and shooting it with my 22. Kicked up a wide mouthed, clear glass jar of about 1/3 gallon that says "Coors Golden Colorado" Just like what is written on a bottle of beer today. I still have it. Best I could ever find was there was probably Malt in it when if left Coors.
Found a couple of nice knives while hunting. Old Buck 110 440C steel and a fixed blade from J.A. Hinkles.
Nothing like a lot of guys for sure.

I think that's my Buck.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
decaying bigfoot,I thought they ate their dead?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mudhen
In Idaho, I found opium vials in the ruins of mining camps where Chinese supplied the labor. In Colorado, wonderful graffiti carved on aspens by the Peruvian shepherds who herded sheep up there in the summer,

Mostly those were Spanish Basques and Mexican sheepherders until more recent times. We had several carvings on quakies on our property by one of the most prolific--and talented sheepherder-carvers--in West Central Colorado. One of the carvings on our place was a very detailed nekkid woman about 2 1/2 feet tall on a very large quakie. Alas, the tree died and soon blew down in the early 80's. We tried to preserve the bark with the carving on it but it fell apart.

Those sheepherder "quakie art" carvings from the 40's-60's are fast disappearing in these parts as the short lifespan quakies die, and sheep ranching is a small fraction of what it used to be--I really hate to see that history lost.

My buddy and I were hunting near Gunnison when he found a very old M92 Winchester under a tree wrapped in some kind of oil soaked leather--it was in pretty poor shape. Found a pack saddle with the panniers full of gear--it was obvious that it had been sitting there for at least a few years. Found my pocket knife i lost in the middle of the forest 2 years before--it wasn't near a trail or anything--I didn't even recognize the area when I found the knife! blush

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple years ago on some public ground in Wyoming on an antelope hunt, I found a Bushnell Laser Rangefinder. Blew the dust out pushed the button and it still worked. A bit bulkier than my dad's Leica, but gave nearly the same readings out to 800 yards. Guessing somebody was laid down in the little bowl, ranged a goat, shot, got excited and forgot to pick it up, then couldn't locate it afterwards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
if we're counting finding your own stuff.....I found my streamlight flashlight I lost during spring turkey season two years and a half years later during deer season....took a seat on the same ridge and sat on it. Changed batteries and it still works.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found remains of several moonshine stills. old cars just out in the middle off nowhere. One Swiss Army knife while hunting at Ft. Bragg.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Found an old rock house in the mountains above Calico, had a pile of cans next to it and a bed frame, in some mountains North of Baker, way in the sticks we came across an area littered with
bras and panties, and suitcases, and what appeared to be six mounds. We called the Sheriff and he said that the wind must have blown the bras there (and put bullet holes in them) and the
mounds were probably from prospectors. Left there with a bad feeling. Another trip found us in the mountains of Northern Cal, and we found a burning camp fire, a sleeping bag and a
big red stain on the ground, which we deduced from the ketchup bottle next to it, was ketchup. Never did figure that one out either. In the mountains behind Paria Utah we found a Ford
Model T body half buried in the mud, and also some grave markers that were not on the map.

Last edited by CaliRN; 12/06/09.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The coolest thing was a feral pigs tooth stuck in the stump of a large oak. Being Indian I've been taught this finding is a good omen and when worn or in my possession I am protected by positive spirits. I'll accept that and thus, always have it when I hunt.

Has to be found stuck in the tree, however. That is the magical find.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I found an old grave on top of a little hill in Alabama with my name on it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your whole name? That makes you stop and think for sure.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Found a pair if Zeiss binoculars in Colorado about 20 years ago. The ranch owner said nobody had said they had lost them, so keep em.
John

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.