Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey Randy, I hunt the first part of the season up in the Nicolet north of Hiles, and then do the second weekend here at home. I did not have much luck in Rosholt either. Even the number of shots heard in the woods was very low.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Any recent problems with Hmong hunters trespassing?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I haven't had any problems yet!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
sss.

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by formerbiologist
Doughboy,
Do you have brands on them to confirm they're the same deer? And how is the fact that the land ownership pattern is public land relevent? Hunters hunting on public land don't disperse themselves equally; I am well aware of that. I am also aware that deer do not disperse themselves equally throughout deer range. Better habitat holds higher concentrations of deer and show evidence of higher activity levels.

Theoretically, hunters on public land would all scout to find the best places to hunt. If this were true and all hunters were equally skilled, this would result in most of the hunters being concentrated in the same areas, but this doesn't happen that often either. Hunters tend to space themselves out at least a little bit so it must be that some hunters hunt where concentrations and/or activity centers are greater and some hunt where they are not.

I cannot emphasize this enough though; wildlife managers do not COUNT deer or any other wildlife species that ranges over large areas. They conduct population censuses that give them TRENDS over time. That is what is important. Hunters want to know NUMBERS, exactly, and it is not possible to obtain exact numbers. It is, however, possible to obtain scientifically sound population index numbers that indicate if a population is up, down or stable and by how much.

If I hunted public land and only saw 7 deer I would find a better spot. The assumption piece of my example was just that, an EXAMPLE of what many deer hunters expect and an explanation of why those levels of deer numbers are not possible. I used the example to merely show that IF deer WERE equally distributed throughout a section of land and hunters were equally dispersed and each hunter would be satisfied if they saw 'x' deer, the number of deer required to satisfy those hunters is not sustainable. In other words, it was a best-case scenario.

Part of the issue, too, is how wildlife agencies publish population numbers. In Wisconsin, when many hunters see the deer density maps that say '25 deer/sq.mi' many make the mistaken impression that there are 25 deer in every square mile in that county. This is obviously not true and some parts of the range (that which contains the best habitat) have more deer than others. The deer density per square mile business is a calculation of the estimated deer population for that management unit divided by the deer range is square miles. I think it would be better if agencies just said 'we estimate that there are x,xxx deer in unit z'. What do you think?

The DNR used to take pellet counts and give a Unit average of deer per Section in that Unit.They then got a Computer program which they based the herd size by the amount of deer killed in a unit.If the kill increased,they used that as a basis to say there are now more deer in that unit.The next year they would increase the no. of Doe tags available in that unit.Well they increased untill they have all but eliminated deer in some units and admit it now.I am for them getting off their asses and doing some field work.We had a more accurare estimate when they did,everyone saw deer and were happy.When they did that I always pulled off a Buck with bow and rifle and they were respectable deer.We took Does in our camp also,But they were never over shot and I never found dead deer in the woods from winter kill.That tells me that we were not above carring capicity for the land.i dont know what the Wi.DNR`s agenda is,but it is not about having happy hunters!!!! mad

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Knowing 5 - 10 people that used to "do" pellet counts for the DNR, I can tell you it wasn't a science at all. They were dropped off in the morning, layed around all day reading a magazine or book packed in their lunch bags and picked up at the end of the day with false numbers filled into the columns on the paper. No more reliable than the so called computer generated data that you claim is false.

Maybe everyone with all of their infinate wisdom and knowledge of wildlife biology that has posted here should pony up and volunteer your time to help get an exact count of the deer in the woods. That way no one has anyone to blame but themselves.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We hunt area 53 near Necedah no deer for 5 days hunting. Out of the 8 of us on better than 120 acres None of us saw as much as a tail.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Knowing 5 - 10 people that used to "do" pellet counts for the DNR, I can tell you it wasn't a science at all. They were dropped off in the morning, layed around all day reading a magazine or book packed in their lunch bags and picked up at the end of the day with false numbers filled into the columns on the paper. No more reliable than the so called computer generated data that you claim is false.

Maybe everyone with all of their infinate wisdom and knowledge of wildlife biology that has posted here should pony up and volunteer your time to help get an exact count of the deer in the woods. That way no one has anyone to blame but themselves.

Or maybe thats the kind of people you associate with and not represenative of the majority!!! laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, you got me and all my friends figgered out. Wait, I think I hear a helicopter...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Problem identified. WI DNR outsources data collection. Contract with some pothead layabouts. Fuggers must have tasted the "pellets" thinking they were chocolate chips.

GOA
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The spin doctors are hard at work. The care taken not to even mention the overpopulation of predators is kind of funny, in a DNR are calksuckers sort of way. FU WIDNR.

I wonder how many deer 500 plus wolves might kill per year? Not to mention fawns killed by bear, which are at an all time high & you have to wait many years to get a tag.. They have decided to let other predators (Who don't buy a license) "manage" their deer herd. It'll be interesting to see how THAT works out for 'em..
Northland Outdoors Article..

Wisconsin DNR: Deer harvest drops in Douglas, Bayfield counties
Wisconsin�s gun deer harvest dropped 24 percent from last year in Douglas County and 33 percent in Bayfield County, said Greg Kessler, Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager at Brule.
By: Sam Cook, Duluth News Tribune

Wisconsin�s gun deer harvest dropped 24 percent from last year in Douglas County and 33 percent in Bayfield County, said Greg Kessler, Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager at Brule.

Statewide, the preliminary gun deer harvest was down 29 percent from last year, according to the DNR. Hunters registered 195,647 deer, down from a preliminary harvest of 276,895 last year.

Many hunters said they just didn�t see many deer during the nine-day season that ended Sunday.

Pat Kukull of Superior Shooters Supply was surprised the harvest was down as much as it was.

�What I saw myself [hunting in Bayfield County], we saw deer,� she said. �But everybody who�s come in says it�s down, it�s down. Some even got skunked.�

�They were all saying they only saw the one they got or they didn�t see any at all,� said Brenda Bell, who works at Jim�s Bait in Barnes.

Kessler said this year�s hunt needs to be kept in perspective.

�I keep hearing comments that it�s a poor harvest or a poor season,� Kessler said. �But if you look at the long-term history, this was not a poor season.�

Much of the drop in harvest was attributable to fewer permits being available to take antlerless deer, he said. The antlerless deer harvest dropped 40 percent in Douglas County and 46 percent in Bayfield County.

The buck harvest was down just 1 percent in Douglas County and 16 percent in Bayfield County, Kessler said.

Through last year, the DNR offered liberal numbers of antlerless permits to bring deer populations down to management goals.

�We�ve come off a decade or so of record-breaking harvests,� Kessler said. �Comparing to recent memory is a difficult comparison. Those were the best years anybody can remember. I don�t think it�s as much doom and gloom as most hunters say.�

Some hunters who didn�t get a buck during the regular gun deer season will be hunting the muzzleloader season, Kukull said.

�The traffic for blackpowder, it�s phenomenal,� she said.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Again. No mention of predators.. They must have zero effect. FU WIDNR.

Blomberg: dismal deer harvest increases debate over changes. Link to another article.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Link from last year...

I see a trend. FU WIDNR. That agency is above the lowly hunters. They are a political arm of an out of control state government & have no accountability. I'm not sure, but I believe I saw a drone during rifle season that must have been DNR... Anybody know if they have such a thing? If so, they have waaaayyyy too much money to waste. I will be very interested to see what next year's license sales are. The WI DNR needs to be gutted like a fish and just start over. It's too far gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My FUWIDNR will likely manifest itself with my not buying a WI license for archery or gun season next year. Far too many states and provinces with their acts together for me to waste my time here. And my boycott will not matter in the least but at least, but in my own little world, as much as I live to chase whitetails, I know I'm not supporting the wrecking crew.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Well, that's my plan, as well. I think it may be more folks doing that than we may even guess, or hope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bruce-

Never in a million years did I think I'd utter those words but it's come to that.

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yep. It's actually heartbreaking. My time up there is cherished & I will still make my yearly excursions, but without supporting the dirty bastards with one MF red cent.

I was able to spend nearly 45 days up there this Fall & was able to put in more days in the field than many previous years combined. They have devastated the deer herd. There is no denying it. Many will try, but it is what it is. [bleep] wrecked.

Merry Christmas! grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I posted this before too, as of now, I'm not buying a WI deer tag. It would be the first time since 1997, which is when I started to hunt in WI.

I can hunt the rut in MN, for 16 days, and not have to fight other hunters for area's that are "theirs" because they've been baiting them since Ocotober.

Like Skane...there are a lot of other options besides WI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oulufinn
My time up there is cherished & I will still make my yearly excursions.

There's been no Earn-A-Buck or tzone's on beer, still have plenty. grin

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
oh jeeeze...if there was tags for that, we'd all be in trouble. grin

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,067
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.