Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
How do you guys handle not getting too ripe while on extended hunts? I've been on a few, and when you wake up and your water bottle is frozen and your in a little tent, it's hard to summon the motivation to wash up in a freezing cold creek. There aint enough meat on my little guy, and I don't want him freezing solid, breaking off, and floating down the creek!

After two days I'm craving a shower, and after several more, I can't stand the smell of myself. I had no idea feet could smell so damn bad. I've tried baby wipes, which seems to only delay the inevitable. Seems like only soap and water really works.

Is this inevitable, or have any of you found a system or routine that works while out there a couple of weeks? I'm interested in all opinions (not just gunwriters), but thought JB might have some good advice given his time in the field.

Cope
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone besides me wondering about this one... whistle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shocked

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Baby wipes will do for a few days, but soap and water become necessary eventually. If the weather's cold I just make sure there's some metal container in camp that can be filled with water and heated up.

When I'm camping in below-freezing weather I'm often in a wall tent with wood stove. It's easy to heat a panful of water on top of the stove. If the weather's a little warmer one of the solar showers is a good deal. These can be filled with warm water even if the sun's not out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Copenhagen
but thought JB might have some good advice given his time in the field.

Yep, I'm thinkin' we'll just wait and let JB "handle" this one........ whistle

grin
Ingwe

Oops...too late!

Last edited by ingwe; 12/10/09.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last Season Alaska - 25 days in the bush, 3 Dall Sheep hunts.
1 Shower after 20 days.

I pretty much stayed upwind of myself those last couple of days.

Baby wipes help keep the peace with the tent sharing client.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tramp bath.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i brush my teeth daily and change socks every couple days.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
That is why I never back pack.I always stay in a bigger tent that I can stand up in.I don't like to stink and won't tolerate others that do.
Warmer hunts, I setup a shower tent. I fixed up a 5 gal gardens prayer with spray nozzle you see in kitchens, and take a shower every other day or so.Colder weather,I heat water and sponge bath from a basin

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wet Ones work pretty well for me for a week or so. Then applying dry powders such as Gold Bond for the feet and crotch, and stick deodorant and baby powder under arms help.

When in a wall tent as JB mentioned, just stip down and give yourself a sponge bath with warm water and soap--- makes you feel just like new again. Of course some modesty by doing this while others are out is usually appreciated.
JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baby wipes and gold bond powder, feet and crotch. Got me thru the first 16 days of the war in '03.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I went to a gun show last week and some of the people there smelled a lot riper than anyone I ever hunted with even after 10 days in elk camp.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dude,

I live out of a backpack for months at a time while overseas. Just wash your nasty butt, brush your teeth, change your socks and underwear. Crotch and foot rot is no joke. You will stay healthier in the field longer and perform better.

Hot or cold, suck it up and pull a little preventative maintenance.

Cheers

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll run this gauntlet.

If I need a soap and water scrub bad enough in a back pack type hunt, I use a pop top drinking water bottle filled with warm water as the key to my system. In cold weather, I uncover only the portion I am scrubbing at the momment. Wet and soap a cloth, scrub and rinse off with squirts from the squeeze bottle of warm water where possible. Rinse the soapy cloth and use it to rinse off as neccessary. Then towel dry and reclothe that part of the bod again before proceeding to the next section.

In a snowstorm in Idaho once I washed remarkably well and completely with one liter of water. It is amazing how little water it takes if you put it right where most needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

There are some things, though, that call for backpacks.
Not that I have not wished for a mule at times.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta agree with the foot/crotch maintenance.
Can be 'interesting' to do in very cold conditions, but I feel sooo much better after I clean up!!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Baby wipes..the unscented kind. If they freeze up put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag at nite. A small pack of them in your pack makes for a pretty good "wipe" and keeps things from getting totaly out of control. Of course sometimes it's just good to get really rank! sick

LC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On a summer hunt, I make a hot water shower.

In winter, I make ... motel reservations.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three to 5 gallons of water heated on the wood stove.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah foot powder on both feet and crotch is a key to my system as well, I left it off. Baby wipes, even unscented tend to make things worse over time, giving you a really disasterous odor. I use scentlock clothes when I'm around other peeople as a courtesy, I have no delusions that it helps the hunting...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.