Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
After spending several days guarding the trees and watching rain and snow pile up on the stocks of my rifles (I find myself without a nasty weather "beater") I decided to change directions with the custom 1899 Savage I'm building. It will be my all-weather gun in future. The catch is this: While I want good weather protection, I don't wish to spoil the look of a pre-WWI Savage. Walnut straight grip perch-belly stock and blue steel. The wood is a no-brainer- Epoxy and/or Epifanes spar varnish. The steel is my primary question to y'all. I don't wish to use a finish that would look more appropriate on an AR-15 than a 100 yr. old Savage 1899. Is there something out there that would fill my requirements, or am I p*ssing up a rope? I have always been a blued steel man, and have categorically ignored the "modern" finishes. Now that I want one, I don't know which way to turn.

Thanks.

Gary

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary is there a cere-coat that is cloce to a blue?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Graphite black would look pretty good on that 99, another option would be to use a Wax..... Seal it all up real good...

If you want to do a cerakote finish, let me know. I would be happy to assist you with that.. I have the tools, and the ffl.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There is a clear coating offered by Doug Burche in his cerra-coatings. Might look into that.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about teflon coating? It comes out a graphite color.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Teflon is not as durable as the Cerakote finish.
As far as the clear goes, I was told by NIC that the current Cerakote product is way to glossy.
I just got off the phone with them, and they are working on making it more satin. I was told they should have it available soon.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gary, I picked up my 1899 250-3000 just to have a bad weather rifle. Stock has been sealed, and metal was all parkerized. Doesn't look too bad once you get used to it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am used to it,, It looks good... And it is a take down... One day,,,, one day....

Before I read the post, I thought it may have been Cerakoted.. Has that look to it..

Real nice, thank you for sharing that pic...

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truth to tell, I was told it was parkerized. Might be Cerakote, I don't know the difference.

Side view of receiver at the bottom. Got a fuzzy texture to it rather than being smooth.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might be dead wrong, but in my searches to find a cerakote to closely match gloss bluing nothing looks better to me than Midnight Blue;

[Linked Image]

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These pictures have a better angle. Looks greyer in these pictures, more like a parkerized finish.
Still looks good though, maybe you could send it my way when you are done with it?

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dawn2dusk, I like that color a lot, though the picture is kind of dark.

Brasshound... keep wishing. Took me 3 years of searching to find an affordable 250-3000 I was happy with! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh Cal,, you are such a party pooper...

Dawn, I can do a little about the sheen with the hardener. Here is a pic of OD green, and Graphite black..

[Linked Image]

Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you really like blue, you could blue it and then coat it with something. Lacquer for instance, as many case colored actions are coated.

Or you might try something like the coatings that are used on steel tools. There are a number of them out there. One that I use is TopKote or some similar spelling. Sold in most woodworking and better hardware stores. It is sort of like paste wax on steroids.

I don't think I could bring myself to epoxy wood or parkerize metal, but to each his own.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
CAlhoun,
I'd say it is parker. Having just recently done about a dozen rifles, shotguns and revolvers, even one 99, it looks right to me.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks guys, you've given me some food for thought.

Epoxy/ spar varnish on the wood will end up looking just like the original varnish used on these rifles 100 years ago, I guarantee. (Only much more weatherproof, at least for as long as I'll be around.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Consider the multiple color finishes that Brownell sells; Alumahyde II and other epoxy paint finishes are available in french grays that might look good (receiver) contrasted with a matt blue shade on the barrel and lever (from the same product line).

Good de-greasing prep is paramount; these paints are pretty durable, and a lot of them are air cure with no oven.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
edit: Never mind..

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/11/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paint finishes? How well do they stay on?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paint finishes are for individuals who can never make up there mind.. It keeps falling off, so they can change the color any time...
If you rub a hard surface with the paint, it will come off with ease..

Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.