-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good with me, as long as you use binoculars.
The person you are most likely to shoot is yourself, or your partner.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I carry cold 99% of the time. The only time I go hot is when I am going through alder jungle in brown bear country. I hunt solo so I am extremely careful and in general this is only for a very short period when I know that there are brownies in the area. I go cold as soon as I get out up above the alders.

I am not happy during these situations but many bears in the area that I hunt are not acclimated to humans and would monkeystomp my azz. I have had to take two dlp bears and have had to sling a shell right under two other bears...one sow with cubs and one big old boar.

This goes against my training and hunter safety education but it is a case specific thing that runs counter to my norms. I would never carry hot hunting unless I wanted to hunt brown bears in the brush and that isn't a winning play.

Sincerely,
Thomas

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thomas-
That's many times more compelling than "The dink I shot this year would have escaped and grown into a forkie next year if I had to chamber a round.....".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry cold, but handle every weapon as if it were loaded. Makes the people around you much more comfortable, cause they don't know for sure whether it is loaded or not.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castandblast
Thomas-
That's many times more compelling than "The dink I shot this year would have escaped and grown into a forkie next year if I had to chamber a round.....".

But, because I was carrying hot, I was able to quickly blow his azz off...

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When I leave the truck and I'm clear of the road, my rifle is fully loaded. The clip in my sidearm is full but left with an empty chamber. If I jump a whitetail I don't want to spend my time chambering a round. But then a lot of the times I'm hunting with a 45-70 Ruger medium sporter and your only going to get that one shot.

I don't like shooting a friends new gun for fear I'll want to buy one!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Thomas-

Exactly! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to carry hot most of the time. This year I decided to give carrying cold a shot, just 'cause, and I doubt I'll ever carry hot again. Carrying hot wouldn't have increased by chances to kill the deer I saw, and believe me, I don't think an animal could get more skittish than a PA whitetail on public ground during the last weekend of firearms season. It's nice knowing when I fall on my face and down a hillside that I'm not going to shoot myself (at least accidentally).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Thomas-

Exactly! grin

Looks like I'm not needed here...

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Do you carry loaded, if so, under what circumstances?

For instance, if you're hunting timber, and it's thick, do you load so that you can shoot quick in the brush when you see something? Or do you walk unloaded to then load when you see your quarry? If so, how do you keep quiet when loading?

If I'm in a tree stand, I have one in the chamber and the safety is on. If I am on the ground still hunting, I have one in the chamber and the safety is on. When I get back to the truck/cabin/etc. then I unload the chamber and magazine.

I must be a product of my environment. I've never hunted with anyone who doesn't do what I described above.

----------
Hunting is my religion
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I agree, what IDIOT carry's a loaded weapon in a vehicle, up a tree with a loaded gun and down the tree and carry's a loaded gun crossing a stream, creek, muddy bank, what ever!!GOOD GRIEF!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a header once while deer hunting on an island in PWS. The soil and grass will simply give way in some areas depending on how close the bedrock is to the surface, and water content of the soil. It's not if you're going to fall in that terrain, but when.

I don't know for sure if the muzzle of my rifle swept my son or not, but it certainly could have. For me I simply won't tollerate the possibility of a loaded gun sweeping my family members.

Those that argue about people being killed by unloaded guns are idiots. Just as the people that don't know how to unload a gun are idiots and shouldn't be handling guns.

Simply put, you can't be killed or kill a family member or hunting partner with an unloaded gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many times has this been done, and has anyone on either side convinced anyone else?
Wasted effort on both sides!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tracks
How many times has this been done, and has anyone on either side convinced anyone else?

Yep.... however, for all of those that do not have a round in the chamber when hunting... I also suggest you unload your carry gun as well....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And all those with a round in the chamber I suggest you marry a swallower.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tracks

Can only speak for myself Tracks, but since I started reading these hot v. cold debates I give a lot more thought to where I'm at, what I'm doing, and then make a conscious choice as to the condition of my gun. This is a big change from being raised to always hunt hot. It's very timely info that I can pass on to my kids as they become shooters and hunters.

So yes, it changed my mind and I'm glad for the new info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New info, my hairy white BUTT... wink

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
An unloaded gun will not A.D., never, ever, ever.

Then the safest solution is to never load the gun.And if you never shoot anything,you never have to worry about field dressing or packing out the carcass. grin

Stubbie
By far, the folks I know carrying cold kill more game than those insisting on carrying hot...

By that I mean specifically the folks I know insisting on cold chambers are by far the more experienced and lethal subset. Not an absolute of course...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stubbie
By far, the folks I know carrying cold kill more game than those insisting on carrying hot...

You missed my point entirely,the key word in my post was NEVER.If you NEVER load the gun,you can't shoot anything,and there is no chance of an accidental discharge.In fact,since you are not ever going to load the gun,you don't even need to have ammunition for it.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.