Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
have any of you seen or done a wildcat with a double radius shoulder like the Weatherby cartridges but on a rimless case? If so I was wondering how they feed, headspace problems, ease of reloading cartridges, etc.? the Weatherby works soo well because it headspaces on the belt, but I am wondering what problems would arise by using a rimless case such as the 30-06 with the double radius shoulder?

thanks!
advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by advntrjnky
have any of you seen or done a wildcat with a double radius shoulder like the Weatherby cartridges but on a rimless case?

I guess my question is.... um, why? confused

Seems like lots of hassles to me.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I've seen one long ago, but it may have been a Weatherby.
Everything imaginable was experimented with in the 1950's-60's.

There is a single radius shoulder recent semi/wildcat:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/new_products/varminter535_061207/

Bruce

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Now, as you are reading this in the Custom & Wildcat forum.....I ask you....Why are you asking why? Can't a guy do research and ask questions for intelectual reasons anymore without getting bashed?

advntrjnky

Originally Posted by ColdBore
have any of you seen or done a wildcat with a double radius shoulder like the Weatherby cartridges but on a rimless case?

I guess my question is.... um, why? confused

Seems like lots of hassles to me.

8mm-06 = perfection
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
bcp - thanks for the link! I had forgotten about single radius shoulders....more things to contemplate now.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
....without getting bashed?

Bashed? Hardly the intent.

I still do think that trying to do something on a double radius case that Weatherby hasn't already done is futile and lots of work for minimal return.

But you're obviously free to continue...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
More importantly - what does the double radius achieve other than looks? I could swear Roy said he did it mostly to be different. I would like to hear if it actually has an affect on internal ballistics to the positive.

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
advntrjnky, I think that the double radius proved to be a good deal, right along the lines of what P.O. Ackley came up with with his line of cartridge improvements. The doulbe radius would eliminate case trimming. As for ballistics improvement, that would be very questionable.

If you are thinking of a wildcat improvement, I would suggest that you stick with the tried and proven "Ackley" designs that have a very long track record with guys that like to play around with wild cats(like me).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was under the impression that Roy Weatherby went with the double radius shoulder because it would be difficult for any old backyard gunsmith to duplicate. Basically, if you wanted a Weatherby, you'd have to go to the source. At least that's what I've read.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by keith
The double radius would eliminate case trimming.

keith, could you tell me more about this? I have not found this to be true in my .300 Wby.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by keith
The double radius would eliminate case trimming.

keith, could you tell me more about this? I have not found this to be true in my .300 Wby.

Me either.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It didn't eliminate trimming for the several I've used.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I was under the impression that Roy Weatherby went with the double radius shoulder because it would be difficult for any old backyard gunsmith to duplicate. Basically, if you wanted a Weatherby, you'd have to go to the source. At least that's what I've read.

That's what I've read as well, for what it's worth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Second what prairie_goat said. He wanted only bona-fide
gun smiths doing his cartridges at the start.
Cheers Merry Christmas NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
buffybr, Eliminate was the wrong word, "slow down the frequency of Case trimming" would be more correct, sorry about that.

I never trimmed a 257 Weatherby case in two rifles, customs with minimum spec chambers and zero freebore.

The Ackley Improved chambers that I have have eliminated case trimming....so far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally devised by Ralph Waldo Miller and probably others.
Powell (or Payne) Miller Venturi Freebore, PMVF, later became CCC Controlled Combustion Chamberings. The Hollywood gun shop was in the picture and one of the shops was in Ventura so definitely a California development. No doubt a big influence on Roy Weatherby.

Claimed a venturi effect on acceleration of the gas flow, but this sounds like a benefit invented after the fact.

I always went with the view it was to make it harder for reamer makers. But the Germans, Von Hoffe for one, also experimented with various neck and shoulder configurations.

If you could go through all the archives of RCBS, Clymer and Pacific I bet you could find a lot of these single and double radius cases. Some on rimless, rimmed, belted and reformed rimless 348 brass.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Um, the SMC isn't EXACTLY a single-radius. I think Mic and By Smalley (a Thiokol rocket guy IIRC) would beg to differ. The shoulder is shaped to reflect energy in a certain way to help optimize consistent ignition and is deliberately not a pure hemisphere.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Was my 7mm Vom Hoffe Express one of those. It was supposed to have been built by the Hollywood Gun Shop.
Butch

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think there were two versions. One the neck went from radiused to angular after firing if I remember correctly. It was fire formed on each firing. This was abandoned but I don't know if it was just for convenience or if it proved of dubious benefit.

Similar experimentation was down with artillery rounds by the Germans.

Any Photos of the Vom Hoffe?

Just did a search on the 7mm and no wonder I am confused. There are at least four to six versions of the 7mm Vom Hofe.
The 7x66 and 7x73 Super expresses. One radiused the other conventional and the third with the expanding shoulder.
I think all were free bored.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/16/09.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought it from one of Russ Haydon's clients. A fellow contacted me and said that he was a friend of the builder[deceased] and really wanted it. I sold it to him for what I had in it. I may have photos of the rifle, but not the ammo. It was the 7X66.
Butch

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.