Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
no. i find nothing wrong with it.

Kinda ribbing ya some but I"ve not had good luck with douglas and am trying one again right now and its a consistent 2/1 grouper while trying to work up loads... 2 almost touching and one way away....
I shot them some in my competition days and always went away from them because they were a pain.

Glad ya got a good one! I'm still hoping on this current one and if it fails I'll replace it and never use one again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 338 edge is the 338/300 RUM?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes.....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
top of the line douglas barrel, isn't there an oxymoron in there somewhere hiding?

Exactly what I was thinking, just couldn't figure out how to spell oxy...ah heck you know what I mean... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, thanks for [bleep] on a really nice rifle my now dead friend built. no i didn't select anything, it was a gift.
and i am not 100 percent sure it's a douglas, he had a few, and that's what i thought it may be, he also used a lot of shilens, and lilja's.
i just picked a name that i thought may have been used for the barrel.
i have no complaints with the barrel. heck, putting down a barrel that shoots like this because you feel it's substandard or whatever is someone talking out your fat ass.

yeah, i take offense to it, it was a hand made gift, and ya gotta [bleep] on it like your [bleep] is the greatest and bestest.
if it is really a douglas, and they all clean as easy as this one and shoots as well, i'll be buying them from now on.
i'd like to see you shoot groups like this with a 338 rum.

dickheads.
2 shots, and adjustment, and then 3.

[Linked Image]

and another 3 shot group.
[Linked Image]

so ya don't like the barrels, keep it to yourself. don't be baggin on a gift from a dead guy, that was a dear friend.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey if you'd understand some things... if it works it works... I was just amazed. They are not known for their top line accuracy. Pretty common knowledge among shooters.

It was a funny, didn't mean any disrespect, and its evident if you can get her to group at that distance then its working for you.

And I hope the one I have here works for me too.

My apologies.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
the 338 edge is the 338/300 RUM?

Is is 300 case necked up and improved.
The 338 RUM case is not not used in the Edge wildcat to my knowledge.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Edge is the 300 RUM case necked up with no other changes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

+ 1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

Oops, sorry about that!
I had always assumed it was an improved version blush

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK I'm confused.

338 edge is just the 300 RUM blown out to .338"?

Wouldn't that be the same thing as a 338 RUM?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No the .338 RUM case is shorter than the .300 RUM case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Splatter, I didn't mean any disprespect at all about your friend and or his rifle nor to you.

I've had a history that wasn't too shiny with Douglas and perhaps in this case should of kept my mouth shut.

If you knew me you'd know I don't mean any disrespect to either the gun, you and or your friend who has passed. If anything I'm as sentimental of a guy that's ever come down the pike.

Bottom line, sorry about the dig towards the barrel maker. I guarantee you it wouldn't of come out of my mouth with most any other barrel maker in the world.

My apologies.

Mark

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Rem. came out with the 300 Ultra, it was a 2.850" case length, same as the 375 H&H.

When they came out with the 338 version, they shortened it up .090", to 2.760".

As stated before, the Edge is just the full length 300UM necked to .338, with no other changes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
okay guys, we're fine....
i miss the old guy pretty bad. we would talk for hours on the phone, and i spent a good part of my free time out at his place in the boonies trying to learn what i could from him about machining. he used to work for nasa during the apollo era, making rocket engines.
had no family here, so i/wife tried to be it.
he had a massive stroke back in april and died a week later.
we was very anal about everything being just perfect. this was his rifle, and i got it from his son, as a remembrance.
i am glad i took an animal with it, i am sure he's up there looking down smiling !
as far as i know it's douglas, but maybe a lilja ?
i am sure there's no way, as markings are not on the outside.

the comments just struck a nerve with me...
sorry guys

mark

kim woodbury making a 338 rum for me, but plans changed and now a friend has the barrel and action in a knox stock chambered in 338lm. he took his cow elk with it at 658 yards.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mark

Glad we are back to ok for sure. I sure didn't mean things the way they came across.

Looks like a fine old gent for sure. I"m sure you learned plenty, and I'd have to guess the loss as a huge one for sure. They seem to have broken the mold of the good ones along the way.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rost495,

top of the line douglas barrel, isn't there an oxymoron in there somewhere hiding?

If a rifle shoots consistant 1" at 300 yards is it still O.K. if it's a Douglas? What is a quality brand to you?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
rost495,

If a rifle shoots consistant 1" at 300 yards is it still O.K. if it's a Douglas? What is a quality brand to you?

Douglas are better than most OEM barrels, and are in the same realm as other second tier like Shaw, Pac-Nor etc. but are not in the same class as Krieger,Hart,Bartlein,Rock and other top tier barrel's.
RC828

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
rost495,

Experience has taught me to judge a barrel by how it lives it's life. In other words from start to end and how the particular barrel makers tubes typically go thru the cycle. And I'm for betting that Jeff has similar experience to me when it comes to such matters.

I don't judge a tube by how it shoots in the moment. I've had 3 Dougy tubes all three lived and died pretty much in like manner. All broke in rough, then all shot well for a while, then all puked within 1K rounds. So for me and my experiences I've found other tubes to live and die much better.

IMO, those that say look at my gun and the group it shoots and then proclaim a barrel to be a good one tends to show ones inexperience. Not a shot at all taken @ Splatters gun and or him here. Just a comment that I'm making after watching over the years when people go to defending this or that tube. Typical response is see the group it shot, it's a good tube...

That's just the way I look at it.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/15/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i see your point, but when it consitantly shoots like that, to me that's a good barrel and the nut behind the trigger.

and i seriously doubt that i'll ever put 1k rounds down the tube of my rum in my lifetime. i have too many others to play with, and this is for one particular place we hunt.
a pre trip zero check, and some shooting over the summer before hand, and it's off to the hills.

it was nice yak'n, but i'm done with this thread.

you have your thoughts an experience's and i have mine. they differ and it just doesn't matter, it's the internet.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.