-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
N
In reading the above post, I thought I might stick my toe in the water.
First off, I work for a very large manufacturing company that sell's products all over the world and I am part of the management team. Saying that I have seen some of the most inept SOB's running companies that have no idea what the customer wants.They dont listen to them and they really dont care. Its about numbers,sales and bonuses. They are blinded by thier positions. Many have never spent anytime in the trenches with the product they represent. This is the state of American Manufacturing and or business in general, and it will kill us off in time, if we dont change our priorities.

So, when I see post revolving around a manufactures new offering, I take it with a grain of salt, because i have been bitten by this more then once myself. You see, my job is to get you to buy the latest and greatest and convince you that its going to be better, faster etc. So dont get suckered in on new products! and never, ever, ever buy something in its first year of production.

The .375 Ruger may very well be the exception. It appears to match H&H performance, can fit into a standard length Mauser Action and has a good variety of bullets available for reloading.
But only time will tell.

I do know this much, when it comes to products that have to perform, people dont like to change from what works and the .375 H&H works and on top of that, it does have an element of Romance built around it. That, is almost impossible to beat!

I do hope that the .375 Ruger is successful and in ten years we will know if thats the case.

As far as trusting a Outfitters back up gun, you have to be crazy! I have had the luxury of knowing and growing up around several Outfitters in BC and if you think i would trust an old Springfield that has been bouncing around behind the seat of a pickup Truck on dirt roads for five years, your nuts. Unless you have a lot of ammo and time to test it and correct it.LOL.

Hell, I have seen them breaking green horses a week before hunters arrived, float planes so heavy with Gear or Moose they are sinking at the dock and Jeeps that didnt have brakes because the roads were so bad the brake lines were toast.

How many do you really think shoot the back up rifle every year?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to agree with "bobinNH" on many of his points and would like to add a some. Every couple of years the "New and Improved" cartridges come out with manufacturers quoting same or better performance in shorter actions or better performance with shorter barrel lengths etc, etc. The WSM's,SAUM's,RUM's and others I am sure I have missed. Ballistics on all these cartridges perform nearly the same as Roy Weatherby did with his factory loaded ammunition 50 years ago!! The magazine writers pump up the new and improved to sell magazines, guns and bullets thats what they get paid to do and I think is great. The more guns sold is great for everyone down the retail chain and great for our 2nd amendment rights. If some of the other gun manufacturers start loading the 375Ruger in numbers then the cartridge will stay around for a long while, I hope it does. I spend a lot of time at the range and I have not seen a lot of Rugers on the line and the few I have owned or seen shooting have not been the most accurate guns. I hope Ruger has put more quality into there barrels than they have in the past. Great ballistics are one thing actually hitting your target is everything !!! I have two 375H&H myself both weighing in at reasonable weights 8.2lbs and the other 8.4lbs. both are scoped with a Zeiss Diavari 1-6X42 and with 24 + 25 1/2" barrels. I personally think the 375 H&H is the greatest all purpose large game cartridge that has ever been made! Even though the Ruger is getting some legs it will never achieve "Greatness" as the 375 Holland and Holland has at least that's my biased opinion.

This is a fantastic forum/site, it is great reading all the information that's given by many of the extremely knowledgeable members--HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE !!!!!!

Bob say hi to Denver for me, I hope both of you are freezing your Nutt's off up there in Cow-Hampshire

Dino

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Bye Squeeze..you're on ignore ...not missing much as you never really have anything intelligent or interesting to say....same banter about 20" 300 mags and shorter/lighter.......to say I won't be missing anything is a dramatic understatment.I get better information from the Sunday comics than anything you've ever posted.......like most things that originate in California,there's a lack of substance and rationale thought;the novelty wears off quickly,and dgenerates into a landslide of senseless blather.... I should know better than to think anything really "bright" can come out of Anaheim..

You really are not very good at anything other than making fun of people,and I doubt that are very intelligent at all..kinda like a big clown with nothing to say.....matter of fact you should change your handle toBozo the Clown...it fits better than "Bigsqueeze".

Oh, and don't forget to catch the next episode of Western Extreme...you'll learn a lot from those guys.BTW, what's your favorite part? Where they shoot the exploding arrow into the gas cans to light the big fire?That should give you a pile of jollies laugh.....lots of appeal to someone with the intellect of a 5 year old at the circus....Or someone who moans and wails cause his barrel is too long or he has to pull a bolt back another 3/8 of an inch.

.but I guess that's where you get your experience...the boob tube or the next exciting episode of Boddington's gear test articles.....how's it feel to get all your info second hand? Moron...anyway, enjoy the "ignore status"...you richly deserve it.BTW I have a 375 Ruger being built on an Encore with a 12" barrel...wanna try it out?

Good Bye!
................On ignore? I`m so touched!...................I can see thru my posts anyway, that I refrain from the name calling as well as any home state and city references. But I can see now that it is not beneath you to engage in such im-maturity during any debating process where there are disagreemnets or varying opinions.

If you think you can get more info from the comics, be my guest! Bozo the Clown too uh? Did you watch him growing up?

Agree or disagree, it seems as though you ran out of any logical and intelligent debating skills through your name calling, ranting, state and city referencing.

All of my info second hand? Oh and a "moron" too uh? Hardly, after 40 years of field experience!....But I do read various writer`s opinions, pass on their info and am able make my own judgements. Don`t watch too much of "Western Extreme." Is that a good show?

A 12" 375 Ruger uh? SURE! I`ll be very happy to try it out! Would be alot of fun! But wait a minute! You say that I`m on your ignore list, and yet you invite me to try out your Encore??? Now, I`m, really touched and would absolutely love too!

So now that I`m on "ignore" from you, does this mean you won`t respond to this post? Do or don`t, it won`t matter. But regardless, I`ll wish you the best for the holidays anyway!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It amazes me how protective some folks can get over a caliber..I have been stomped, gilflurted and stringhaultered because I consider the holy grail calibers like the 45-70 and the 243 pieces of crap on big game animals from elk up! smile smile so what, why get your shorts in a wad over something as trivial as a caliber...

I have a lot of respect for Bob H and he knows his business IMO..I get the impression he also is an avid fan of the .375 H&H and I sure won't fault him there!

Me, I like both calibers, I agree with all the posts in part or totally, but in the long run, I don't really care one way or the other who likes what, it's all I can do to keep myself in control of calibers and guns, I keep having these changes of mind...maybe its a curmudgeon thing..I, even on ocassions, put my good guns up for sale, and I still don't know why I do these things, I am a gun whore, and have no loyalty to wood and steel.:) fortunatly they don't usually sell and I breath a deep breath of gratitude to you all...but when they do I ALWAYS later regret selling them..:) smile Usually when I find a good horse I can't afford or the grandkids need another horse the rifles disapear..

I will probably keep my 375 H&H English rifle.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I agree with bobin on this one. I'm a young guy getting ready to buy my first 375 and the ruger isn't even a consideration. In my opinion nothing cool about it, or advantageous. The 375 H&H has it all to me. An awesome looking tapered case, the belt, the romance, and it speaks of better times, for hunting anyway.

I think all these new calibers make it harder to find factory ammo for any random caliber cause it would be way to hard to stock everything, so they'll probably have the newest, latest, and greatest at the expense of other stuff.

I realize it helps sell more stuff, and more people employed in the hunting-shooting industry is a great thing, but I won't be the sucker.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Much as I would like to try the .375 Ruger, if you look up "smooth" in the big Oxford dictionary there is a picture of a guy shucking H&H cases through a Model 70.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hornady and Double Tap load 375 H&H loads with 270 gr bullet @ 2800 fps. I chronographed the 270 gr 375 ruger in my 23" barrel african and its about 2790 fps. So an H&H loaded to it's potential is pretty much the same as the ruger in same length barrels, and the 375 ruger is about loaded to it's potential already.

So basically, no difference in ballistics. the ruger is supposed to burn at a slightly different burn rate than the H&H, so there might be a better powder for the 375ruger that isn't being tested with this cartridge yet, but that's just speculation.

There for, you should choose the caliber based on weather you reload, if nastalgia plays a part, what rifles you like better, or initial cost of the rifle.

Last edited by gohip; 11/24/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
2 great cartridges, lots of rifle options. The loony answer - at least 1 of each and let's go hunting! smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 86thecat
More difference between Ginger and Mary Anne, but either would be OK. Take your pick and enjoy.

[Linked Image]
375 Ruger on left, 375 H&H on right, 30-40 Krag in center for comparison

More sense has never been made on a �cartridge comparison thread. Thanks.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Bob, breath deep, count to ten, place BigSqueeze on ignore and go plan your next hunt. This internet banter about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" differences can be hard on the blood pressure.

Sense there, too. A lot.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I keep reading about that stainless steel/synthetic 7.5 pound Sako 85 in .375 H&H, is it imported into the US of A?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not stainless, that I can tell, but certainly synthetic.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148160569

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these discussions. Valid points on both sides. However, if the 375 Ruger had been invented at the time the 375 H&H was invented, and vice versa, the same arguments would be made by the same parties only with the cartiridges reversed for their proponents (same with .270 vs .280, 300 WSM vs. 300 WM and 7mm WSM vs. 7mm Mag, etc. ad nauseum). With the advent of one there is therefore no "need" for the other, blah, blah, blah. In 2000 years we will be having a similar discussion. "Well the 375 Larry will never overcome the 375 H&H or the 375 Ruger because they are tried and true with a 2000 + year headstart and they are tried and true, blah, blah, blah. There is no need blah, blah, blah."

Hell, to listen to some people, there is only a "need" for three calibers. It's just that what those three calibers are is in dispute from many knowledgeable people with differing opinions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 375 Ruger is just a natural progression of developments. What Big Sky says has a lot of merit. Had they both come out simultaneously, the Ruger's shorter action with identical performance in a shorter, handier rifle might have just been enough to come ot on top. I own two 375 H&Hs and have ZERO desire to own a Ruger, but the 375 Ruger is here to stay and it's a damned fine cartridge. Now those WSMs are another story alltogether. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by 86thecat
More difference between Ginger and Mary Anne, but either would be OK. Take your pick and enjoy.

[Linked Image]
375 Ruger on left, 375 H&H on right, 30-40 Krag in center for comparison

More sense has never been made on a �cartridge comparison thread. Thanks.

Ginger of course...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ginger ...

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the Ruger is the best BG cartridge design brought out in recent memory;and if they had given it to us necked down to 30 cal and 7MM,it would be better yet;would make an easy choice in those calibers over the WSM's or the RUM's any day IMHO...

But I also think it will not "obsolete" anything.... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/16/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But but but Bob, the WAzzM's work in a short action.. grin

Never mind, gotta go.

C-Ya

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
But but but Bob, the WAzzM's work in a short action.. grin

Never mind, gotta go.

C-Ya

Dober

.....oh yeah....I forgut...those wee little things.... crazy grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Call me shallow...predictable...whatever...

Ginger.

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.