Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody use or like these rifles anymore, with the black forend tip and white line spacers, or are the classis models or synthetic the way most people go now?

`Bring Enough Gun`
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do. By some quirk of fate the factory BDL stock fits me like it was custom made. Won't claim that late 60's styling is the prettiest thing around but it doesn't bother me either.

The relatively closed grip is more conducive to proper trigger control and the slightly flared grip also gives good purchase and helps pull the rifle in. The 22" barrel (on .473" chamberings) balances well. They are heavier than a comparable synthetic stock model, but scoped with Leupold DD's they only run from 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 pounds, a lot better than an 8 1/2 pound Model 70. The shiny finish turns some folks off but that bowling pin stuff is definitely durable.

Mostly because of the fit they are still my favorite out of the box factory rifle - that and the left handed ones are easy to find. Even going custom I've had more McMillan BDL's than any of their other designs.

I like the shape so much I took a left hand Model 70 wooden stock and used bondo and sandpaper to give it a pistol grip identical to a BDL. Took the McMillan Super Grade stocks off of my two Custom Shop Winchesters and had McMillan custom inlet two BDL stocks to them.

Guess I like that design... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The ergonomics are there and that finish is DuPont Imron. It's been used on commercial stuff like semi-trucks for decades. It's way harder than any other stock finish I've ever owned. Flattening agents do not add durability to any finish. My shop has CDL's on the rack with flaking finish from rack rub. You won't find that on BDL's.

Not a fan of the white line spacers though. The skipline checkering on the BDL looks much nicer than the recessed stamped looking stuff they've gone to now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still like them and the open sights they come with are a bonus.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Horseman
I am pretty certain BDL finish is not Imron, especially the early vintage ones. They are both polyurethane but several things about the manufacturing process make me believe it is a proprietary finish on Remington's part.

I also think I remember Imron as being a bit late for BDLs now that I think about it. I think Imron came out in the early '70s? My Google-fu is weak this morning.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
RKW is the name of the Dupont finish used on the earlier 700s. I liked the mid-'70s cut checkering a bunch, then they bollixed that up and I went to other rifles.

The RKW finish was used for bowling pins, I think. Harder than a weddin' peter, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like newer classic stock styles a lot. But something about the BDL and Weatherby Deluxe styles. Kinda "retro". Maybe someday make a comeback. Tom

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I always have one eye open for a sweet looking "older version" of the BDL. I'm not sure of the dates, but I like them better. I've had a couple that I had to sell off over the years.

CLB

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Horseman
I am pretty certain BDL finish is not Imron, especially the early vintage ones. They are both polyurethane but several things about the manufacturing process make me believe it is a proprietary finish on Remington's part.

I also think I remember Imron as being a bit late for BDLs now that I think about it. I think Imron came out in the early '70s? My Google-fu is weak this morning.
art

It was Imron in the mid 90's and I'm positive. At that time I bought a new BDL and had a 94' or 95' catalogue where they mentioned it by name. I was going to tech school at the time for Auto Body so I knew my paint and even talked to the DuPont rep about on one of his weekly visits. It wouldn't surprise me if they've now gone to a different maker but it is still a catalyzed urethane to be sure. Very tough stuff.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have no idea as to the finish on the bdl but i have a 243 that i bought in 76'-77' and it has been hunted hard, yet still looks almost as good as new. i've read in several different gun rags over the years that the model 700 has been the best selling bolt action in america for 40 years. no other rifle is even close. i'd guess that many (if not the majority) are bdl's. one article i read just a week or so ago said the 700 was the majority favorite in some annual elk hunter survey the writer apparently takes each year. that said, seems everyone is making a stainless/tupperware version to appeal to the frugal buyer, and they seems to be outselling the "top of the line" versions (of course they are cheaper to manufacture too). as in 700 sps vs bdl or cdl. to answer the op's question, i'd say go ahead and buy the bdl. with decent care it will last you and your children their entire hunting lives.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
What do you know, it has got white line spacers!
Do those cost xtry?
grin
And a trigger and iron sights and shiny stuff on the wood too!
And checkered lines in the grip areas and...

I like them, but I like the looks of the matte finished stocks as well. I don't look at them that much in the field, though.
Like that $5000 extra for engraving on a fine scattergun, I don't think it makes it shoot a whole lot better or worse...some folks say the white line stuff is too much, but I don't think that much of it one way or the other.

Seriously, the BDL's I have were bargains, left handed and brand new. I didn't care about the spacers or model name. And like my ex-wife and a pair of shoes on sale, nothing was gonna stop that transaction! shocked
And the 700 is a solid platform, got a decent trigger that can be adjusted or is easily replaced if you prefer. Easy to put a wide selection of mounts on...it's just easy.

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like mine. I prefer the satin finish but, like the J lock, I wasn't gonna past up an excellent rifle over something like that.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Horseman
Found where Imron did not even come about until 1970. I have not seen the big difference I would expect in the finish when they would have swapped to Imron.

But in defense of your memory, Imron after a few years of curing would be hard to tell from anything else and its "gumminess" in paper would have been less obvious. So, I would have to concede you are probably right about the mid-'90s BDL finish being Imron.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up what I think is a BDL in .243 to use as a donor.
Purdy little thing, perfect stock, and a smooooth action.
Have not shot it yet, but it seems a shame to take it apart.
Will post a pic when I get the chance.

Have an A1 Day!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Horseman
The ergonomics are there and that finish is DuPont Imron. It's been used on commercial stuff like semi-trucks for decades. It's way harder than any other stock finish I've ever owned. Flattening agents do not add durability to any finish. My shop has CDL's on the rack with flaking finish from rack rub. You won't find that on BDL's.

Very true.

Doesn't mean I like the high gloss on BDL's, but the gloss Imron finish is one of the more durable stock finishes out there.

Nor do a I care for the drop at the heel--more felt recoil to me.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Horseman
Found where Imron did not even come about until 1970. I have not seen the big difference I would expect in the finish when they would have swapped to Imron.

But in defense of your memory, Imron after a few years of curing would be hard to tell from anything else and its "gumminess" in paper would have been less obvious. So, I would have to concede you are probably right about the mid-'90s BDL finish being Imron.
art

Sitka,

The "Imron" formula has been around for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it's been around since the BDL was introduced in 1964. They didn't call it Imron until Dupont introduced the auto paint version in the early 70's.

I use industrial Imron in the course of my work frequently--currently have about 30 gallons of the stuff setting in my shop. There are numerous lines of Imron produced by Dupont, including some clear finishes.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't Imron go bankrupt a few years ago? It was in all the papers... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the BDL fine, but I like the Classic and CDL better.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a 700 BDL in 223 Rem. I like the rifle a lot. I'm not overly crazy about the ultra high gloss finish it has. I'm thinking about buying an aftermarket stock or trying to refinish my stock to a satin finish.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I like the Lefty BDLs better than the CDL. For one thing...a price of $700 for a CDL turns me off cuz the BDL will do the same thang as a CDL and cheaper. grin

Reason for liking the BDL is the wider forend, just fits my hand better. The CDLs have a narrower forend which does not seem to fit me all that well but if it was given to me I betcha I could make it work cool

I also like the 22" barrel on the standard calibers. I do not think you gain that much fps on a longer barrel and for the area I hunt hardly anything can be seen outside 200/300 yards.

I do not like the sights on a rifle on the BDL cuz I always mount scopes on my rifle. But fillers will plug up the holes.

The gloss blue on BDL's remind me of older rifles/shotguns and they work for me. I have one LH CDL .243 and the satin black metalwork is ok with me too.

All in all I like the BDL better but know many people like the CDL for its anthestics. What ever rocks your boat and makes you happy is the one you should want as your oar smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.