Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
68W Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Folks,

I've got a cow tag for ID unit 51. I don't know the area hardly, I've got a great topo though. Just put in for this tag cause it fits with the University schedule and I want the meat more than the trophy. Anyone that has ANY knowledge for this time of year in that unit I'd appreciate it. Any late season cow hunting advice in general would be greatly appreciated too, I'm still really inexperienced but I'm hooked!

Merry Christmas,

68W

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We hunt that area, so get up early and you can spot elk coming out of the valley to the hill at daybreak. Spot them and get to where they are going don't try to catch them. Good luck! Don't know how much snow is in the valley in the last week but try spotting from Bucknbird rd across the valley to either side. They closed alot of roads around the area so watch it.

68W Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks, I'll get the map out and find that road I hope. that's the kind of help I'm hoping for. As far as snow, I know that the forecast is for snow solid through the next week. I hope it's enough so I don't have to go trudging in up into the mountains to find these ladies.

What do you mean exactly by get to where they are going but don't try to catch them?

thanks again,
68W

Last edited by 68W; 12/13/09.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 68W

What do you mean exactly by get to where they are going but don't try to catch them?

They have been known to walk and eat faster than you can trot. Try to cut them off instead of chasing after them.

I would just drive that main road that goes from Howe to May. This time of year you are bound to spot some cows on the valley floor somewhere. Stop and talk to ranchers and farmers. They can be very helpful when hunting new areas.

I have never hunted 51 but been through there a few times and it is good looking elk country.

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 12/13/09.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
he means if it looks like their going up a canyon dont go up the canyon with them work your way around some how and head them off at the pass. also after nov 11 alot of road close and public acces is for horse or 4wheelers only.this is the last of the hunts the elk your after may have been shoot at about 10000000000 times they will be spooky.we have been getting snow storms, and before that we dropped down to -10 have good gear and whatch your feet if they freez your @#*&.And another thing the ranchers and farmers in that area wont help you and wont let you hunt on there land.they only have every tom dick and henry ask and most people dont close gates or clean up trash so there sick of it and dont let any one on.the elk in that area winter out on the lava flats back towards the D.O.E they wont be up high just some old die hard bulls will be look for foot hill leading out to the lava flows.and watch that you dont go on D.O.E land or guys in black will come and kick your ass

Last edited by billjiw; 12/14/09.
IC B2

68W Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
billjiw,

I can imagine the frustrations the farmers deal with on that. I'll have the right gear for sure. Where are these lava flows, that's a good lead for me to pursue. If you could say which part of the unit there are lava flows I'd be much obliged...I'll be sure to watch out for well armed men in black.

68W

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The lava flows are before you get to Howe on the Idaho National Lab/DOE site. You have to get permission in Idaho Falls to hunt on thier property. Like Dog unter said drive the road from Howe towards May and glass. You could also go up towards Sawmill canyon. Depends on the amount of snow in the valley how well you can move around. Good luck.

68W Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
24mileboy,

I will be in Idaho Falls before I go hunting. Is it really possible to get permission on short notice, where do you go? Thanks for the help!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Going up toward May from Howe is through the Pahsimeroi River valley. Another small road off to the east is Little Morgan Creek, which should be on your topo map. Good elk country back in there, too. A bit of private land but not much back in the canyon. Most of the farm land is down bordering the road.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
68W,
Here is the address of the F&G office. Idaho National Laboratory (INL) Elk and Pronghorn Permit: A pass is required from the Idaho Fish and Game office, 4279 Commerce Circle, Idaho Falls, to hunt elk in the Lemhi, Beaverhead or Snake River Elk Zones or pronghorn in Units 51, 58, or 63 within 1/2 mile inside the north and east boundary of the Idaho National Laboratory, which is adjacent to agricultural land. Hunting of all other species on
INL land is prohibited.
If you go over the pass to summit reservoir you are in another area which is into the Pahsimeroi valley. Also if you go too far into the Donkey mtns you are in another area, so be carefull.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,449
Posts18,471,018
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.