Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Offering more hunters more opportunities and getting more people in the field enjoying the passion we all share ain't never a bad thing

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lonerider
Offering more hunters more opportunities and getting more people in the field enjoying the passion we all share ain't never a bad thing

absolutely.

-ken

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ribka
Now the lazy idiots want to make it easier by allowing crossguns?

So because I may wish to try something different, I would be a lazy idiot? It would appear that you don't have any valid argument against crossbows, so you've taken to stomping your feet and name calling. This has been my experience with most of the members of NYB, that I've spoken with.

Why does it bother you so much, that someone would choose to use a different tool than you would, on their own property?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by accrash
Originally Posted by ribka
Now the lazy idiots want to make it easier by allowing crossguns?

So because I may wish to try something different, I would be a lazy idiot? It would appear that you don't have any valid argument against crossbows, so you've taken to stomping your feet and name calling. This has been my experience with most of the members of NYB, that I've spoken with.

Why does it bother you so much, that someone would choose to use a different tool than you would, on their own property?

I have a feeling a few on here are lobbying for the cross gun industry. Have seen it on other archery sites

Because it will shorten the archery season that is why. With todays bows and a few hours of practice can shoot out to 50 yds. Now why do you need a weapon that can easily shoot out to 100 yds with a scope during a primitive weapons season?You can use crossbows in ml and modern firearms.

Introduce crossguns and we will have a 5 day archery season in a few years. If more people get into hunting will have a lottery only hunting season like they do in many Western states. I always see more crowds every year when i hunt and it is getting worse with growing populations. I do not want our archery seasons shortened.

Same argument why can't I then use a 30-06 during archery season? If we let people use firearms during archery we would introduce more people to hunting. Same flawed argument.

Again you can use cross gun during other seasons. No one is denying you anything

I'll fight to keep archery seasons as they are.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by noKnees
It depends on a few factors down south. The late season cuts hunter numbers down quite a bit. The other consideration is that many of the serious hunters are out of useful tags by then. Its rare that I have buck tags left that late in the year and usually have enough venison I am not looking to bust a doe in the late season. I may go out for a walk around but Its maybe 1 or 2 years in a decade that I seriously hunt the southern ML season. Of the 4 guys that I know that seriously hunt, its mostly the same story.

We have land in the Southern Tier, but I don't hunt it till the gun season opens, so I do my southern bow season hunting on state land and its no where as crowded at the opening weekend of North ML.

If the muzzleloader season ran the 7 days before rifle south I think it would be wall to wall muzzleloader hunters.
It depends on a few factors down south. The late season cuts hunter numbers down quite a bit. The other consideration is that many of the serious hunters are out of useful tags by then. Its rare that I have buck tags left that late in the year and usually have enough venison I am not looking to bust a doe in the late season. I may go out for a walk around but Its maybe 1 or 2 years in a decade that I seriously hunt the southern ML season. Of the 4 guys that I know that seriously hunt, its mostly the same story.

We have land in the Southern Tier, but I don't hunt it till the gun season opens, so I do my southern bow season hunting on state land and its no where as crowded at the opening weekend of North ML.

If the muzzleloader season ran the 7 days before rifle south I think it would be wall to wall muzzleloader hunters.

Good point. When they moved the ml season in MD before the firearm seasons the ml numbers increased over 500% in a few years. Guys that want to legalize cross guns in archery season are rifle hunters that do not want to practice with a bow. Keep em out of archery season

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You can use xbows during gun season..so what you can use a stick bow or compound during that season as well. I do so regularly ain't the issue at all. You sir are just narrow minded and short sighted. Adding extra oportunity to any season may change nothin and may not even get anyone new in the sport. I do not use a xbow..don't like them. Am I handicapped with a compound? HELL no..see my above post mentioning that I and several friends regularly out shoot people we know that shoot x bows. They perhaps will benefit somewhat in that if people shoot them better and more accuratly there may be fewer lost animals. You are making a big deal of nothin of importance to the hunters in your area..certainly you can find somthing better to do with your time than bitch and whine about such a simple thing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bowhunting should require drawing and holding the bow.
Crossbows should only be allowed for those with a documented physical handicap or disability.

Opinion only.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WTM45
Bowhunting should require drawing and holding the bow.
Crossbows should only be allowed for those with a documented physical handicap or disability.

Opinion only.

Can't argue with that at all.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

it is my assumption that most people arguing against cross bows are younger people.

i've been bowin' ny for almost 40 yrs now & still have plenty of strength left to continue. however, one day down the road i'd certainly like to be able to remain in the woods in the early fall season hunting with a broadhead. crossbow may be the only option left at that time.

i know plenty of guys who'd love to be out during bow but are unable because of their age.

everyone gets old.

-ken

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you can lug around a crossbow, climb a stand, or drag a deer out then you can carry a light long bow/recurve/compound bow too. Who says you have to pull a heavy draw weight?

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
[/quote] Introduce crossguns and we will have a 5 day archery season in a few years. [/quote]

It seems to be ok in Ohio. The bow seasons are quite long. The gun seasons are shorter though...which is a whole different debate.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't think it will be the inability to draw and hold a bow that will hinder me in my future years. Heck, I've already dropped poundage twice over the last ten years because of elbow issues. It will be the simple inability to be mobile and to keep warm.

But that will not stop me from going bowhunting, giving tips to others, stoking a campfire and telling stories.
The entire outdoors adventure is what I crave, not just the shot.
Using a crossbow simply would not give me the same enjoyment. I do understand it does for others, and I'm not actively trying to take that away from them. For me, I don't ever want one.

I will gladly assist and help any disabled or handicapped person to get a deer/bear with theirs.

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
accrash said it best why do you care what someone else does as long as it does no harm to you

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Because the truth to the whole crossbow hunting thing is that the vast majority of people that want the crossbow seasons are unexperianced hunters. So it does do a lot of harm to the whole "BIG PICTURE" of hunting. Out west is sorta a little different story however in the east and other high populated areas it is just another bad name for hunting. The last thing we need is more yahoo's running around in the woods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The crossbow existed long before the compound bow.....

It's slower, weaker, and more "archaic" to load. It's also more traditional than a compound bow. That's just history. They are older than our Country, that's for sure.

I'd support the crossbow in NYS during archery season. Makes sense to me. I mean when you called for "archers" in the middle ages, crossbowmen were a part of them.....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

It's slower, weaker, and more "archaic" to load. It's also more traditional than a compound bow. That's just history. They are older than our Country, that's for sure.

I'd support the crossbow in NYS during archery season. Makes sense to me. I mean when you called for "archers" in the middle ages, crossbowmen were a part of them.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

There ya go !

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Lets see Bow season this year Oct 16- Nov 19 ,, Dec 13- Dec21 Thats 6 weeks of bow hunting Why no room for crossbows?

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
lenty of room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
that was plenty

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.