Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only the improved o8 case or one on the 284 case would clean up the chamber if it has major issues. I don't know if you could find a spare 284 magazine but if you could it would probably take care of any feeding issues with that case. The 243/308 magazine won't handle the 57mm case.

260 AI would be interesting, I have no idea about how smoothly it would feed.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Well.........poo.
I will certainly have to go with an AI case over a case that won't feed out of the mag because I have a bunch. Since I had two guns, I've been picking them up over the years at gun shows. They aren't cheap. Plus other possible parts.
Don't care for wildcats at all, but it would be much cheaper. Just need dies.
Somebody school me on Ackley rounds. Can I fire the std round in the gun? Don't you do that anyway to form the case? How does it headspace when fireforming? It would be my first wildcat. Hurt the resale too, but don't plan to sell it till I croak.
This is all making me want to send it to MidWest first to get a gunsmith fix if I can, and a voucher to help with cutrifle if I can't.
Von

USMA '86
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
IMO your usually better off selling the gun and starting all over. Buy yourself a M-88, savage 99 or BLR in another caliber such as the .257 Robts..A rebore or rebarrel combined with the needed action work usually costs more.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Listen to the Pro's not internet pundits like yours truly.

If you wanted an AI that would be cool but may require an action polish and feed ramp polish or slight change of ramp angle to feed with silky smoothness. Re-bore is about as much as a new barrel.

Dies are about 2-3x standard cost. If properly chambered factory loads will feed, fire and form just fine. In fact the slight drop in pressure during fire forming might be just the ticket for the above 95 grain factory rounds.

It would have to be a labor of love to pursue. If I found one in 257, 284 or 358 that would be the end of that project. The only problem is I couldn't in good conscious sell the problem BLR even at a pawn shop till fixed.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A straight rebore from Dan Pederson (cutrifle.com) costs $220. That's just reboring, with no fancier stuff such as setting the barrel back or rechambering to an improved round. He can also set the barrel back and clean up the original chamber, or rechamber for an improved round, but those cost a little more. But even setting the barrel back and rechambering to an improved round is only $320.

That is a lot less than most rebarrel jobs cost, especially considering the work involved in replacing sights, forend fitting, reblueing, etc. The bore will be cut-rifled and hand-lapped, the reason that I have used Dan's services more than once.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by atkinson
IMO your usually better off selling the gun and starting all over. Buy yourself a M-88, savage 99 or BLR in another caliber such as the .257 Robts..A rebore or rebarrel combined with the needed action work usually costs more.

I am sure Ray didn't mean to knowingly sell a problematic gun with sticking extraction without full disclosure....

Rebarrel it or rebore. Sounds like you are a BLR guy, so no need to switch gears.... but a 358 Win blr is a nice option if the barrel is large enough for the rebore.

Allen

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My experience mirrors Jeff O's. I have had no extractions problems with my .325 WSM BLR with max handloads. I did have a chamering problem one time with a case that didn't resize properly. This was with nickel brass!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same same with my .358 BLR. I could run anything in it that I ran in my bolt .358.

That said as the brass gets older (used more) it can get hard the chamber, which was true in both my BLR's.

JB, damn your hide, now you got me thunkin' evil thoughts about how easy a .358 WSM wildcat would be, as a rebore of my .325... grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I would love to dump the rifle for a decent price and buy another. But because of sticking someone else with the problems, and because they have gone way up in price, I'll have to continue the project. Maybe Browning will give me a voucher that will help after the MidWest report (assuming it needs a barrel).
Von

USMA '86
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am confused on the voucher idea. Are you assuming they will give you some voucher AND you keep the defective gun? I always assumed any compensation would be with the stipulation they take said problem gun out of circulation, you get a discount toward a replacement gun.. like it cost you a couple hundred for a new gun.

Allen

IC B3

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
You are very possibly right. I didn't ask. I plan to ask tomorrow what happens to the gun and what the likely amount could be.
Unless it is a lot, I'm not going to lose the gun, and I doubt it is a lot on a 20 year old gun.
Von

USMA '86
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.