Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The boat paddle stock would sure let you get the full benefit of the recoil.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by muledeer
Though I still wish Ruger would come out with an official version of the .404 Ruger... grin.

Dennis

Now that would be perfection. If you need more than a .423" bullet at 2300-2400 fps, then dinosaurs must be on the trophy list or marksmanship classes might be in order.

A .416" bullet is second best, and those of us who've actually used a Hawkeye in the 400-class calibers in the field find advantages in the standard length action configuration. But we can't all like the same things, which is what makes this Forum interesting. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a certain difference between people who actually do something with it, versus those who talk about it.

Thanks...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The only thing keeping me from the 416 Ruger is the inability of Winchester to make them. I think this will cut 416RM sales dramatically, when more makes build rifles.

As to the standard action business, I've been using magnum actions for a couple of years now and haven't noticed a problem. I can see the advantages wrt production but in the field I've not found a difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Yearning for a .416 Ruger"...has a nice ring to it. What I'm hoping to see in 2010 is the .416 Ruger but in the Hawkeye 23 inch barrel "African" version. This rifle would continue to build on the prior success of the .375 Ruger and is a very classy looking piece as well. I believe we are entering an era of appreciation for the old classics i.e. .416 Rigby & .404 Jeffrey. Nostalgia perhaps? May yet see a .404 Ruger coming. To the camp fire - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm debating also on a .375 or .416 for just playing around with feral hogs. I just can't get myself to buy a rifle with those hogue stocks on them, then have to find a stock right away!! I think one would make a good thumper. A good stocked .416 or .375 with a low magnification scope will fit my bill nicely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?
Rigby is #1 by over a century. Holland and Holland is a "newcomer" but compared to Ruger, ancient.

That's why I had my 400 Holland built because they know what they are doing. (What ever happened to that wonderful Ruger SXS and how many Red Labels have fallen apart on the sporting clays circuit?)

Perhaps a subscription to African Hunter would prove enlightening so you can read about all the bound up 700s in 416 rem due to excessive pressures. Now we have a smaller cartridge with powders we can't buy, operating a who knows what pressure with ONE ammo maker whose solids were taken off the market because they failed. Sounds great to me.

Give me my trusty 700 in 400 H&H or a CZ in 416 Rigby. No investment castings and the floorplates stay closed too.

I am old enough to remember when the 458 Winchester was going to rule the world for dangerous game....didn't work out too well.
Fact is the Brits still know more about building dangerous game rifles and cartridges than some boys in CT.

My 700 and the real H&Hs (400 on the right)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then a .375 Ruger African is the right answer. I almost took mine to Texas this year for hogs, but decided to take my .338 RCM instead. Which was great fun, but the .375 Ruger African is so nice...some day I'll have to do it just for fun.

Dennis

Nice to hear your bias again, oldman1942. Seem to recall that the older accounts sort of indicate lots of problems with those models too. The really funny part is the way the actual African PH's laugh at all of these kind of debates. Shoot...some of them even carry PUSH FEED dangerous game rifles. They've only killed tens of thousands of animals over there, so those guys probably really don't understand rifles and hunting... whistle.

Last edited by muledeer; 12/22/09. Reason: Respond to oldman1942's comment too...

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Homesteader
"Yearning for a .416 Ruger"...has a nice ring to it. What I'm hoping to see in 2010 is the .416 Ruger but in the Hawkeye 23 inch barrel "African" version. This rifle would continue to build on the prior success of the .375 Ruger and is a very classy looking piece as well. I believe we are entering an era of appreciation for the old classics i.e. .416 Rigby & .404 Jeffrey. Nostalgia perhaps? May yet see a .404 Ruger coming. To the camp fire - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
....................Your yearning for one, just may come to pass!.......Rumor has it, that has soon as Ruger solves all potential African stock splitting issues, we`ll see a 416 Ruger African!..........Patience!........Patience!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?
Rigby is #1 by over a century. Holland and Holland is a "newcomer" but compared to Ruger, ancient.

That's why I had my 400 Holland built because they know what they are doing. (What ever happened to that wonderful Ruger SXS and how many Red Labels have fallen apart on the sporting clays circuit?)

Perhaps a subscription to African Hunter would prove enlightening so you can read about all the bound up 700s in 416 rem due to excessive pressures. Now we have a smaller cartridge with powders we can't buy, operating a who knows what pressure with ONE ammo maker whose solids were taken off the market because they failed. Sounds great to me.

Give me my trusty 700 in 400 H&H or a CZ in 416 Rigby. No investment castings and the floorplates stay closed too.

I am old enough to remember when the 458 Winchester was going to rule the world for dangerous game....didn't work out too well.
Fact is the Brits still know more about building dangerous game rifles and cartridges than some boys in CT.

My 700 and the real H&Hs (400 on the right)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
.....................Mr Oldman has struck again with his biased,,,NESS!

Killing success or possible failure, has absolutely nothing to do with how old, or how ancient, or how much SENIORITY any particular rifle/cartridge combo has OR who builds the rifles!!! If you think that ANY British built rifle chambered in any H&H cartridge, will somehow kill better, be more effective, or is more accurate than either the 375 Ruger or the 416 Ruger chambered in the Ruger rifles, then you have a pile of rocks between yer ears!

Decades or centuries of experience, AS you put it, has absolutely nothing to do with anything pertaining to success, failure, accuracy, or anything else for that matter. You`re in a dreamworld of fantasy to think so!

This argument of more decades, being more ancient, and/or more experience in building rifles won`t hold any water with me, as it shouldn`t for most "logical" and "un-biased" thinking individuals.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry but I have to call BS on this post. First, the 416 Rem Mag pressures happened early on and since then the cartridge has prove itself without any problems. I've owned and hunted with a Ruger 416 Rigby and I've NEVER had the floorplate open inadvertently. The 400 H&H? Anybody know where we can buy brass let alone ammo? Good luck with that one. The 459 WM didn't work out too well? There are prpbably more 458 WMs in Africa in the hands of PHs than all other combined. with today's powders 2150 fps is easy with a 458WM. Lastly that same article on African Hunter you misquoted also dedicated quite a lot of ink to the notion that a 700 (and without irons as backup to boot) and dangerous game is an oxymoron. Honestly...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[quote=oldman1942]Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?

You should have brought this to the attention of Winchester, Remington, Ruger, and Hornady years ago. You could have saved them the expense of years of product development for naught. Perhaps you could call them now and tell them to go home because it's not possible to improve on what was developed 100 years ago.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all, this may come as a shock, the 700 is a push feed.

All those companies you cited have brought out and dumped so many duds over the years, I doubt they want my thoughts.
The 5mm Rem, the 25/30/32 rem, the 32, 35 351 and 401 WRA autos,
the 22 rem & win autos, the 22 WRF....tell me when you want me to stop. Ruger & Hornady will catch up when the 375 H&H and 416 Rigby are still killing game as they have done for nearly a century.

You buy whatever you want, but don't fool yourself that they are in any way superior to what the Brits were building decades ago and still are.

BTW 400 H&H brass is available from Qual Cartridge. You might learn "Google".

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have built a couple of 416 Rugers on 98 Mauser actions and added all the bells and whistles to them,I actually built them before the 416 Ruger existed. I think I built the first one ever? It just seemed natural to neck the 375 Ruger up to a 40..so I built two and sold them both. I had no trouble at all getting 2400 FPS out of them with a 400 gr. bullet..Great caliber IMO..another fellow on here, picked up where I left of and beat me to the 404 Ruger, and even better caliber perhaps, but it would be argueable and without reason, they are all the same.

The Ruger 416s fully equalled the 416 Remington and the std. accepted load in the 416 Rigby is 2400 FPS..They are all about the same for all practical purposes. The Ruger can be built on a much smaller action and in a lighter rifle if you prefer...

I, personally, will stay with the 416 Rem. as I have a ton of loaded ammo for it..and the 416 Rigby is an old outdated caliber the requires a big action that should be a 500 some odd in the first place, at least IMO..but it is a dandy caliber even today. In fact, I recently acquired a 416 Rigby in a Ruger No.1 that is a tack driver, and I am sure that I will like it.

Of note in all fairness, the 416 Rigby is simply a 416 WBY without the belt and is capable of an easy 2700 FPS and I know some hardy boys that shoot thier No. 1s in 416 Rigby at a bit more than 2900 FPS with a 400 gr. monolithic bullet, they spend their weekends slewing such beasts as watermellon, cantalope, blocks of ice,and any other substance that make pretty showers of juice and chunks fling in all directions, and they can put on quite a show, make one hell of a mess, but they clean things up and go to the nearest pub and join in the merriment of balictics and planning fun gun things to do next week end with their big bores, not to mention they annually kill Whitetail, Javalina and feral hogs by the gross ton.

When it comes to 40 caliber, all you have to do is pick the one you like, not the one that someone else recommends, they are all about the same as far as hunting cartridges..I would pick the gun I like as opposed to which 40....enjoy! smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
oldman1942

You're right, there have been some duds over the years, but that was also true 100 years ago. Your posts are starting to remind me of the bureaucrat who wanted to close the U.S. patent office about 100 years ago "because everything that can be invented has been invented".

Last edited by doubletap; 12/22/09.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, it's your money, if you want to reinvent the wheel, feel free, just don't whine when a 375 H&H or 416 Rigby will sell when you want to unload it, ammo can be bought in the third world and new is not necessarily better. I missed out on the Corvair too! (LOL)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd happily sell a few rifles and donate it to 'Buy a prostate of oldman1942' if it would shut you TFU.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone who actually owns one complain when people advocate a different model for themselves? I'm starting to think this guy -- oldman1942 -- is complaining overmuch to people like me, who actually do own rifles, and ones that we bought because we like them.

Maybe he's an Atkinson-style expert, but then we've seen Ray's reality...

Dennis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldman1942
First of all, this may come as a shock, the 700 is a push feed.

NOSHITSHERLOCK...jorge

PS:Product #: 325716
Manufacturer #: 400HH
Price : $ 46.49

Real popular round that one and a 700 in 400 H&H? LOL that's like putting spinners on a Bentley....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummmmmmmm all I can say is I am glad that I purchased my .416 Remington magnum in a model 70 Winchester and it won't be for sale anytime in the next 20 years.

Store bought ammo is half the price of Rigby cartridges, sorry I must think of things like that since I am a working class person. The Winchester is set up proper and the safety is not small like the Ruger. I have never had any pressure problems when hunting in Africa with the rifle period. It worked like a Swiss watch!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.