-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray - concerning your post: seems the more enlightened members around the 'fire agree on the virtures of the .416 Ruger. Especially on the "African" bolt action platform...so why are the Marketing, Sales and senior management at Ruger HQ slow on the uptake here?

Mike Fifer/ Ruger CEO - please consider this another friendly nudge. Regards, Homesteader

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For some reason or another, I really don't get the feeling that Mr.Fifer/Ruger CEO cares about our 'nudges', nor do I think he reads these threads (even though the link(s) have been forwarded to him.)

That said, I've pretty much given up on Mike and Ruger. A .416 barrel is currently indicated in the lathe; the threading and counter-bore done to mate it to a M700 L/A Mag. Chambering will be done on Tues eve as that's when the Brown Truck is supposed to show up with the reamer and headspace gage from Dave Kiff and PTG.

The quandary will then be, what to stock it with. Got a CDL that would look nice, but not sure that it will handle the recoil or the #5 barrel contour. Could go with a B&C Medalist with the alum. block which I also have, or an Accurate Innovations (big $$$).

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
N
N
"but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO."

I see no downside to the .416 or .375 Ruger...... [/quote]

Agree 100%.[/quote]

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread, but this seems like a relevant question/topic to me at this point in the discussion:

416 Ruger vs 375 Ruger...yes, I can do the math, but in your opinions, with well constructed bullets for the task at hand, what will a 416 Ruger with a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 fps do better than a 375 Ruger's 300 gr bullet at 2650, really?

I see the extreme example of full-on solids on Elephants where the hole doesn't get bigger - but what's next on the list? Cape Buff?

With better sectional density and properly chosen, controlled expansion, bullets it seems to me that the penetration and wound channel through the animal are going to be *pretty* similar.

Am I completely off the reservation on this?

Thanks, look forward to reading the replies!

-Joe

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by noordinaryjoe
"but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO."

I see no downside to the .416 or .375 Ruger......

Agree 100%.[/quote]

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread, but this seems like a relevant question/topic to me at this point in the discussion:

416 Ruger vs 375 Ruger...yes, I can do the math, but in your opinions, with well constructed bullets for the task at hand, what will a 416 Ruger with a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 fps do better than a 375 Ruger's 300 gr bullet at 2650, really?

I see the extreme example of full-on solids on Elephants where the hole doesn't get bigger - but what's next on the list? Cape Buff?

With better sectional density and properly chosen, controlled expansion, bullets it seems to me that the penetration and wound channel through the animal are going to be *pretty* similar.

Am I completely off the reservation on this?

Thanks, look forward to reading the replies!

-Joe [/quote]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

The 416 for many, adds more emotional assurances or insurance when hunting the big stuff.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Plus, hard to beat a stainless crf .416 for under $800 new. Actually, this makes me wonder why I don't have one. confusedgrin

The only real issue is that it has a complete POS stock, which no one who I've ever taalked to in Alaska has kept, on the short-barrelled version. It's a target-model Hogue, and Ruger has never put anything on any of their rifles that was worse-designed and implemented than that one. There is one guy in North America who propelles it constantly, so I guess he's having a major influence on Ruger... whistle.

Putting a good stock on a Ruger isn't that hard nor is it that expensive, so it's not that big a deal. Just a thing to know.

Dennis

Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Fine cartridge but if you want a 416 there is only one...the headstamp says "Rigby".

.243 .416 Rigby (Yes Virginia it IS big) 9.3x62 .275 Rigby

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tophet1; 09/07/10.
N
N
Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....[/quote]

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe

N
N
]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

The 416 for many, adds more emotional assurances or insurance when hunting the big stuff.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.[/quote]

Thank for that Squeeze...while sometimes over thought, obviously good bullet selection is important.

Your response also helps reinforce for me that the .375 African minimum isn't entirely off base. I have read a great deal about needing to punch a hole .4" or larger in the heart of Cape Buffalo to ensure it will bleed out swiftly.

Killing game is alway very subjective - no two animals have ever been shot in exactly the same way, so it is VERY anecdotal, too!

This is why when folks say things like " I once shot a ____ and this happened, so now I never use _____" I instantly go into 'disregard' mode! ;-)

-Joe

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe [/quote]

Anyone that likes the idea should send the encouragement to Randall Pence, Director of Marketing. He's the one that asked what I thought about it. I told him the biggest problem with those stocks was most didn't have checkering which made them too slick. He agreed and said checkering was necessary. They are talking about it. I personally think it's a great idea.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.

Thank for that Squeeze...while sometimes over thought, obviously good bullet selection is important.

Your response also helps reinforce for me that the .375 African minimum isn't entirely off base. I have read a great deal about needing to punch a hole .4" or larger in the heart of Cape Buffalo to ensure it will bleed out swiftly.

Killing game is alway very subjective - no two animals have ever been shot in exactly the same way, so it is VERY anecdotal, too!

This is why when folks say things like " I once shot a ____ and this happened, so now I never use _____" I instantly go into 'disregard' mode! ;-)

-Joe [/quote]........NoOrdJoe.............Interestingly, I bought my 375 Ruger Alaskan to use primarily here on the N/A continent hunting trophy bison, big bears and maybe a moose or two, but not originally for use in Africa. I`ll get over there someday with my Ruger Alaskan.

But, for a one and do-all caliber for Africa? Whether one favors the RUM, Wby, H&H, or the Ruger round, there`s no better single all-around caliber for Africa than the 375.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe

Unless you heard it directly from Mike Fifer or have seen the above in person, on a gun rack, for sale, it's exactly that - a RUMOR.

Rumint (Rumor Intelligence) is what the firearms industry thrives on. Pimp everything in a mag/rag/TV show/SHOT Show/etc, build the hype, and then sit back while the product trickles to market.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - Now you've gone an burst my bubble... Ruger, Remington, Winchester out 'pimping' their wares...OMG. At least on the street corner you can see what your buying (or not!). Next thing you'll tell me is there is NO Santa... Regards, Homesteader.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am a fan of the .375 caliber and I shoot a 375 H&H, and the .416 Rem. as well as the 404 and 450-400. The Ruger versions or the 375 or 416 are just as good IMO..

I also know the .416 is a better killer than the .375 in any of its forms and it becomes obvious as one uses both..That said, I believe the 375 is sufficient for all DG.

I personally prefer the .416 over the .375 for any application. If push came to shove then I would make my choice based on recoil between the two..If the recoil of the .416 didn't bother me then I would choose the .416, otherwise I would opt for a .375 and go about my business..I still use both based on no particular reasoning.

Keep in mind that a 300 or 350 gr. 416 shoots as flat as anything the .375 has to offer and has the advantage of bore size and bullet weight on the heavy bullet side.

For the NA continient, the .375 is probably the better choice for most..Both will serve you well in any case.

This caliber thing is somewhat over rated IMO, at least within reason. Bullet construction and bullet placement play a much bigger role than caliber. Comparing these two is a prime example of that.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.

"I didn't get these scars falling over in church"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Iron
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.

Same question I, along with others, have had for some time.

Got frustrated enough that I built one on a Rem 700 action, though I wish I'd had a M70 CRF to build it off of (which I may still do).

I'm hoping that Mike Fifer or one of his 'designated hitters' is at the SCI Convention. I fully intend to ask them face-to-face what the issue is with the .416 African and see which 'story' I get for a reply.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - glad to see the saga of the .416 Ruger "AFRICAN" is still alive and well. OORAH! Glad to see your M700 build is, well, built. Maybe...just maybe Santa Ruger will have good news for all good 'lil boys an girls lusting for a .416 Ruger African for 2011.
FYI - I'm sure you've seen that a 9.3mm African is in the works. Saw SKU 37113 on Lipsey's site. If they do that one then the .416 is a distinct possibility. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Homesteader, I saw the various 'hints' of the 9.3 and my fist thought was 'you rotten SOBs' (or something along that line), and followed up with comment on the Ruger Ask the CEO web site.

While it may fill a 'gap' somewhere along the line, the 9.3mm is a .366 cal - not a .416. IMHO, Ruger took the 'easy' route to declare another African model rather that putting their collective noses to the grindstone and correcting the stock issue on their .416. It's not rocket science.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

As good as the 416 Rigby is, it's legend and lore far exceeds it's actual use. I don't have any statistics but would bet that Ruger has already sold more of it's 416's in two years than Rigby has sold of it's 416 in the past hundred years.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

As good as the 416 Rigby is, it's legend and lore far exceeds it's actual use. I don't have any statistics but would bet that Ruger has already sold more of it's 416's in two years than Rigby has sold of it's 416 in the past hundred years.

Nice rifles there 458. I have a question though: How does the 416 ruger compare to the 458 win? I've been trying to make up my mind on which one I'd rather have. Thanks, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the 416 Ruger had been available when I built my 458 it is what I would have chosen. Now that I am so familiar with my 458 as a backup rifle and also have numerous 375's I really have no particular use for the 416 Ruger -- except that it is an excellent cartridge in an excellent rifle.
I do feel the 458 Win makes a bit better stopper - and the 416 is a bit more versatile.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.