Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Phil do they come from the factory with the boat paddle stock?Or that newer synthetic like the 375 Alaskan?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think the boat paddle is a consumer added option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
[IMG]I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

I'm starting to see a trend maybe. The only time I went to Alaska for brown bear, my guide out of Trapper Creek was toting a 338 Win Mag in a Ruger canoe paddle stock. He swore by it for the same reasons.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
utah: Thanks! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobInNH - there maybe another reason the "boat paddle" stock style is so popular with Alaskan guides. Has more to do with function then making the rifle lively as Phil mentions. Think boat...engine quits miles away from camp, forgot the extra paddles. "Row, row, row your boat..." LOL Regards from warm sunny Florida (just had to do that Phil...) Homesteader.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Homesteader....they like those stocks up there. grin

They are tough!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobinNH -I believe you as they must have other "redeeming" features going for them besides their lack of cosmetic appeal. Sort of like the barmaids at Octoberfest...may not be the prettiest BUT can sure haul those big beer mugs! Regards, Homesteader.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Iron
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.
.............Ruger won`t chamber the 416 Ruger in the African version until it first solves all the stock cracking issues with the 375 Ruger African. Up to this point, I dont know if Ruger has completely solved the cracking issues.

Though sooner or later, we`ll see the 416 Ruger chambered in the African.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I have the itch for something with more umph than my .340 Wby. Has anyone tried the .416 Ruger yet?

I'll go out on a limb and say that the .416 Weatherby would give you all the oooomph that you need. grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Iron
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.
.............Ruger won`t chamber the 416 Ruger in the African version until it first solves all the stock cracking issues with the 375 Ruger African. Up to this point, I dont know if Ruger has completely solved the cracking issues.

Though sooner or later, we`ll see the 416 Ruger chambered in the African.

I am wondering if their recoil lug design means that cracking cannot be entirely eliminated. I am not sure old Bill had a .416 in mind when he came up with it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
I am wondering if their recoil lug design means that cracking cannot be entirely eliminated. I am not sure old Bill had a .416 in mind when he came up with it.

You know, I had the very same thought. But then I regrouped a bit. The recoil lug on the Hawkeye African is no different than the recoil lug on the M77 RSM - the RSM being chambered in such calibers as the 375H&, 416 Rigby, and so on. The difference is that the RSM has a beefier stock and employs a second recoil lug on the barrel. Maybe Ruger should consider a barrel lug on the Hawkeye as well.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The small recoil lug on M-77's is an issue with larger calibers and since Ruger chose to retain it even on their magnum action makes me think they are not likely to change it. Their choice to use a steel hanger on the larger calibers works OK and I imagine they will either do something like that on the 416 Ruger or else use a stock with a metal bedding block.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an old version of the RSM in 416 Rigby (24" barrel and no barrel band) with the metal hanger as Phil describes. I too was worried about stock cracking as there were a few stories out there. I had the steel block glass bedded and have had no issues and that was in 1993(?). Anyhow two trips to Africa and two buff with no problems. Ruger knows what they are doing and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger knows what they are doing and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not so sure about that Jorge. How long has the 375 African been out, and they still have issues with cracked stocks, let alone manage a wood stock on the .416 Ruger? I'm left with more than a hint of doubt.

Their choice to use a steel hanger on the larger calibers works OK and I imagine they will either do something like that on the 416 Ruger or else use a stock with a metal bedding block.

A metal bedding block would certainly help. However the down side is cost. Unless Ruger stikes a helluva deal with someplace like Accurate Innovations, a wood stock with a metal bedding block is probably not in the future.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Would some steel bedding plus crossbolts help prevent the wood stocks from breaking?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steel bedding and a crossbolt fixed my son's 375 and kept it from splitting. I even dropped the 416 in it an fired it a box or so from the bench and it held up to that but I would prefer a bigger bite from the lug.
It would not be hard or expensive for Ruger to add a metal hanger to the stocks they already have.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whelen nut, it will not only give you the ummmmmmph but wear your frigging arms out from totting that heavy arse rifle with muzzle brake on the end. The new one I shouldered at the gunstore was something like 12 pounds.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
If the 416 Ruger had been available when I built my 458 it is what I would have chosen. Now that I am so familiar with my 458 as a backup rifle and also have numerous 375's I really have no particular use for the 416 Ruger -- except that it is an excellent cartridge in an excellent rifle.
I do feel the 458 Win makes a bit better stopper - and the 416 is a bit more versatile.

How much lighter is the old stock than the one that comes on the Alaskan?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older stock is about half a pound lighter than the Hogue but of more importance it balances better and places the weight more up front and is slimmer around the action and carries easier. The old canoe paddle stocks are also tougher than a woodpecker's lips.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tonk,
My friend had a .378 Weatherby on a Schultz and Larsen action with 2 mercury recoil reducers in the stock and a muzzle brake.
His friends goaded him into it at a gunshow. He couldn't sell it fast enough after he had fired it! grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.