Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Got a rifle I'd like to raise the comb on. Walnut stock. A new stock is not an option on this rifle- a BLR- to the best of my knowledge.

I don't need to raise it much. I hate how those tie-on cheekpieces look. Any other options? Kind of imagining an adhesive-backed pad or the like.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/17/09.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They make an adhesive one - check shotgun magazines for it.

Option is to have an adjustable comb put on it by a good smith. Would sure look interesting.

Me

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Teal. I'll check on that.

I don't want anything gimmicky; just simple and clean. Don't need much lift; Browning just kind of split the diff between irons & scope on that rifle and even in extra-lows the scope is a tad higher than ideal on a fast-handling lever gun...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The last of the three I posted would be the route I'd go

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Can a master wood crafter add some wood to it and for a lack of better words "whittle" it away until it fits you perfect?

I mean its wood after all, shouldnt he be able to adhere it to the stock some permanent way?

Just a thought.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone tried this one?

Looks nice, at least, but not real excited about leather in the rain...

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=108223

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Jeff, I agree that blr's have an impossibly low comb to shoot with a scope. Brownells sells a leather covered "ruber" one that comes in different heights and glues on. I bought the tallest one and like it but i guess i have a long neck or something and i add them to every rifle i shoot very much.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The last of the three I posted would be the route I'd go

Thanks. I like the price on that last one! Never been one, but reality is forcing me to be a cheap bastid lately...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff O;
While it isn�t the prettiest solution available, when we encountered a similar hurdle on our eldest daughter�s 6.5x55, I cut some closed cell foam and jammed it under an Uncle Mikes elastic ammo holder. The plus of this modification is that it isn't permanent and can be easily adjusted.

I made one out of wood for a pump shotgun once, but I wasn�t totally pleased with how it turned out and I don�t believe I�d recommend that route. I eventually covered it with yet another Uncle Mikes ammo holder so I didn�t have to view it every time I picked it up. Someday I intend to restock the shotgun, but not soon.

Once a long time back, I did graft on a piece of wood onto the butt stock of a Lee Enfield that I�d installed a scope on for a teen aged hunter. I was able to match the wood fairly well in that instance and while the epoxy seam was visible it wasn�t somehow as hard on the eyes as the addition on the shotgun stock.

Hopefully that all was some use to you, good luck whichever way you decide.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I like these pouches...

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do not try to add wood to a nice gun to raise the comb. Kill the value immediately, and fugly to boot 99% of the time. Get something to add to it that you can easily remove without leaving any marks.

As an example.. there's a nice uncatalogued model of Savage 99 here that I'd like to have, wouldn't even mind the d&t or sling studs. Except, guess what somebody did to the stock? I won't touch it now, neither will anybody else. Been relisted about 4 times.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

Cheaply, cleanly and easily? I sanded a flat section on my K15 and glued a chuck of balsa wood on. Then I carved it until I was looking right down the high mounted scope. Also, I sloped it so that under recoil it pulled away from my face instead of whackin' me. I then finished it so it looked almost like the rest of the stock.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While it isn�t the prettiest solution available, when we encountered a similar hurdle on our eldest daughter�s 6.5x55, I cut some closed cell foam and jammed it under an Uncle Mikes elastic ammo holder.

Bingo!!! Works great and easy and cheap and removeable and even keeps your little cheek from getting whacked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the leather one from Cabela's that I use on my muzzleloader and on a shotgun w/ slug barrel. The leather thong ripped almost immediately when trying to tighten it. Currently use 550 cord.

This seems ideal: Beartooth pad @ Cabela's

If on a wood stock I would remove it before storage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Do not try to add wood to a nice gun to raise the comb. Kill the value immediately, and fugly to boot 99% of the time. Get something to add to it that you can easily remove without leaving any marks.

As an example.. there's a nice uncatalogued model of Savage 99 here that I'd like to have, wouldn't even mind the d&t or sling studs. Except, guess what somebody did to the stock? I won't touch it now, neither will anybody else. Been relisted about 4 times.

[Linked Image]

Who ever did that, has done quite a good job, especially if its a DIY effort. But as you rightly say, it's killed the value of an otherwise collectable rifle...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seyfried did a G&A piece about a decade ago in which he built up a cheekpiece with wooden dowel "rebar", built a clay (I think) fence around it then filled it with Acraglas or somesuch, shaved and sanded to fit then painted it. Can't remember if it was wood or synthetic, but you could get a replacement stock, do this to it and retain the original if you ever decide to sell.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If we're talking synthetic, then it is really easy to just lay on some black epoxy and not even have to paint it.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
paint or camo dip will hide well done mods.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 73 invisible), 3,034 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,112
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.