Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by oulufinn
The spin doctors are hard at work. The care taken not to even mention the overpopulation of predators is kind of funny, in a DNR are calksuckers sort of way. FU WIDNR.

I wonder how many deer 500 plus wolves might kill per year? Not to mention fawns killed by bear, which are at an all time high & you have to wait many years to get a tag.. They have decided to let other predators (Who don't buy a license) "manage" their deer herd. It'll be interesting to see how THAT works out for 'em..
Northland Outdoors Article..

Wisconsin DNR: Deer harvest drops in Douglas, Bayfield counties
Wisconsin�s gun deer harvest dropped 24 percent from last year in Douglas County and 33 percent in Bayfield County, said Greg Kessler, Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager at Brule.
By: Sam Cook, Duluth News Tribune

Wisconsin�s gun deer harvest dropped 24 percent from last year in Douglas County and 33 percent in Bayfield County, said Greg Kessler, Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager at Brule.

Statewide, the preliminary gun deer harvest was down 29 percent from last year, according to the DNR. Hunters registered 195,647 deer, down from a preliminary harvest of 276,895 last year.

Many hunters said they just didn�t see many deer during the nine-day season that ended Sunday.

Pat Kukull of Superior Shooters Supply was surprised the harvest was down as much as it was.

�What I saw myself [hunting in Bayfield County], we saw deer,� she said. �But everybody who�s come in says it�s down, it�s down. Some even got skunked.�

�They were all saying they only saw the one they got or they didn�t see any at all,� said Brenda Bell, who works at Jim�s Bait in Barnes.

Kessler said this year�s hunt needs to be kept in perspective.

�I keep hearing comments that it�s a poor harvest or a poor season,� Kessler said. �But if you look at the long-term history, this was not a poor season.�

Much of the drop in harvest was attributable to fewer permits being available to take antlerless deer, he said. The antlerless deer harvest dropped 40 percent in Douglas County and 46 percent in Bayfield County.

The buck harvest was down just 1 percent in Douglas County and 16 percent in Bayfield County, Kessler said.

Through last year, the DNR offered liberal numbers of antlerless permits to bring deer populations down to management goals.

�We�ve come off a decade or so of record-breaking harvests,� Kessler said. �Comparing to recent memory is a difficult comparison. Those were the best years anybody can remember. I don�t think it�s as much doom and gloom as most hunters say.�

Some hunters who didn�t get a buck during the regular gun deer season will be hunting the muzzleloader season, Kukull said.

�The traffic for blackpowder, it�s phenomenal,� she said.

When The DNR had their Oct.meetings on the upcoming Hunt .It was asked if predators were taken in account and they said no.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately the DNR is in complete spin mode on everything just trying to save their axxes. We need a changed in Govenor and DNR.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Decker is a political opportunist, big time lefty, never met a tax he didn't like and all he did was find a parade to jump in front of, like most politicians.

2. Road kill is a very good way to estimate herd numbers. The WI road kill has been decreasing steadily for the last 8 years.

3. The DNR is intentionally taking the herd down in anticipation of lower hunter numbers in the future.

I've posted the details in "Cheeseheads are serious" so I am not going to repeat.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Fast_Ed
1. Decker is a political opportunist, big time lefty, never met a tax he didn't like and all he did was find a parade to jump in front of, like most politicians.

100% spot on!

He's transparent as a glasss house. Hopefully others are seeing the same.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The latest is that the DNR has pushed back their 2010 deer season recommendation until April 2010.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably want to wait until they see what the winter kill is.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Plenty of snow, so far. Looks like it may be a tough one.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Huntz,
That is not how the Sex-Age-Kill method works at all. Look it up on line and read it. Also look up the independent assessment of the Sex-Age-Kill method that was recently done by independent wildlife biologists from other parts of the country. The method the WDNR uses to estimate deer populations is sound; not perfect, but sound. I know you probably won't do this because it's easier to complain when you don't get 'your deer'.

BayDog,
If you 'know' 5-10 people that used to do deer pellet surveys, they were probably college students out supposed to be learning how to do that method and how it works. To my knowledge the WDNR hasn't used pellet surveys for a LONG time as part of their data analysis; those dirt bags would probably serve with the same excellence in any endeavor.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by formerbiologist
Huntz,
That is not how the Sex-Age-Kill method works at all. Look it up on line and read it. Also look up the independent assessment of the Sex-Age-Kill method that was recently done by independent wildlife biologists from other parts of the country. The method the WDNR uses to estimate deer populations is sound; not perfect, but sound. I know you probably won't do this because it's easier to complain when you don't get 'your deer'.

BayDog,
If you 'know' 5-10 people that used to do deer pellet surveys, they were probably college students out supposed to be learning how to do that method and how it works. To my knowledge the WDNR hasn't used pellet surveys for a LONG time as part of their data analysis; those dirt bags would probably serve with the same excellence in any endeavor.

Well actually I do attend Deer meetings accross the State and was involved in the Deer 2000 project.I live and Trap where I hunt and probably have more field time than most DNR people.I am not claiming to be any kind of authority on the subject,but then again I am not some smuck sitting in a Gin Mill bitching about some thing I know nothing about. smile

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FormerBiologist,

Most, if not all of them are at or near retirement from the millwright and electricans unions in the Fox Valley area of Wisconsin. All have kept gainful employment over the years and of the ones that I keep in touch with, are still working today, so are probably high up in the Union seniority list.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...lumn--Deer-alarmists-react-without-facts

I think I'll agree with Pat.

Now that the wolves have moved on there was more deer sign where I hunt this year than the previous two. However, because of the warm weather, the deer never had to move during the day. They could munch on azzhole's bait piles at night and hold up all day chewing their cud. Standing corn to the south compounded the problem there. Five guys in my party saw two deer and shot none all season. As I said plenty of deer but the conditions for success overall were limited.

Last edited by jackfish; 12/28/09.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have nothing to complain about. The deer kill in Grant County WI fifty years ago was 728 . Deer kill in 2009 6.522 .

Did I kill a deer in 1959?...Yes. Did I kill a deer in 2009?...Yes.

Is this relevant? Let's sit down and have a couple of beers and discuss it sometime.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I lied. Yep. I AM going to buy a 2010 WI gun license and hunt the whitetail. Well, more or less setup in whatever stand I have on my 40 that feels right for the day and wait and see what comes my way.

After last year seeing no deer I was pretty demoralized. But. This past January I gave up smoking the butts. So that means that this year I gets the opportunity to sit in the ladder with not stinking smokes burning, and no motion/noise made by me swmokin' them.

A few weeks ago I found the remains of a small 8 point that had been eaten. brain was pretty much all that was left of the flesh. Fuggin skull sure did stink. Shook the spine off, cut the back of skull behind antlers off w/ bow saw, dumped the brain. Gonna assume wolves or 'yotes took this on down.

GOA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not to burst your bubble, but..... I've never smoked anything, never even tried it in my 33 years, and I didn't see a deer last year in WI. grin

All joking aside, good luck to you.

This will be the first time in 14 years I've not hunted in WI. The area were were in, the DNR, and the crew I was with, didn't make it fun anymore. If it's not fun, why do it. I'll be exclusivily hunting MN this year. I plan on doing a lot of it, weather permiting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best luck and a safe hunt to you tzone!

GOA
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.