Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I recently "re-discovered" Marlin lever rifles. I had one when I was a teen. Where I grew up every young man had a lever 30-30.

I swapped it off for something or another a long time ago and started experimenting around with other rifles.

I found a nice 1974 336 at a pawn shop about a year ago and it felt so natural in my hands that I had to bring it home with me. Since then I've bought a 1950 model to keep it company

I put a Weaver V-3 scope on the 1974 model and the 1950 edition came with a Lyman receiver sight.

I've used three bullets in loading for them,...the 130 grain Speer flat point, the Lapua 150 grain flat point, and the RCBS 30-150 FN cast.

With proper loads, they'll do about anything one would ask of a rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have packed my .35 all over creation the last 2 years hog hunting and have never had the chance to try it out. I passed on a few small bucks also. I am eagerly awaiting the time I can bloody mine up. I walked into a gun shop and there sat the 1976 336 .35 Rem that still had the Genuine American Walnut sticker on the forearm. All the ones I had fooled with prior to that one had a checkered forearm and stock, I liked the smooth forearm and stock and after a few minutes I filled out some paperwork and we went home. Mine wears a Weaver V3 1-3x20mm, Weaver Base, and Weaver Rings. The factory irons are zeroed just incase. I find myself carring the Marlin more and more each year and my bolt guns collect dust with the exception of my .260.

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
My 336/.35 is a Marlin Marauder circa 1964. A lot lighter and shorter than the '99. Nice carbine for shorter range hunts.
[Linked Image]

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a marlin 35 remington a few months ago at a local gun store. It is brand new, I haven't had a chance to try it out. I will probably try Rem 200 grainers first. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks. ps- probably use it on deer next year.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
if its a marlin, try the hornandy leverevolution 200gr. the shoot 1" groups at 100yds. the effective killing range is about 250yds, much better than the old school roundnose ammo

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks grizzlyallen for the advise! I am going to try the 200 gr. Hornady 35's also! I have shot differnet calibers in the past, but I am new to the 35 remington and I am reading anything that I can get my hands on. Thanks, Clyde!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
best of luck. iam sure you'll be pleased. ive only put down two deer w/ the .35in the last two yrs since i have had it, but it put them down in short order w/ no complaints. be well, Al

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm addicted to lever guns, though I do have several bolt actions. I just picked up a 336 in 35 Rem a few months ago, and can't wait to hunt it. I loaded up 100+ rounds for it, from lite to hot and took it to the range to sight it in. What a pleasure to shoot. I have 4 other varying 336's in 30-30, but am gravitating towards the 35 Rem. quickly. It has a little bit bigger bang to it. A nice thump to it.
I must say I also have 2 1895's in 45-70, one a guide and the other a Cowboy. I do like thumpers. The Cowboy is by far my favorite of all my rifles, just love to shoot it. It's the best feeling rifle I have ever shot. Now this 35 Rem is looking good, but until I hunt it a few times I can't say it's the one, but it sure feels like it's up there.

Windage & Elevation
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The allure goes away for me when its time to pull the hammer back, and that nice big buck gets all nervous and looks right at you when he hears a loud click-click. Don't try to tell me about holding the trigger and not making any noise.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find the hammer trick much easier to do with old Winchesters. Rebound hammer Winchesters and Marlins new and old are harder to do. With the Marlins the hammer makes a noise as it hits the tang.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My little .35 struck this morning at 7:59am. Deer movement has been slow here in TN and I was getting disgusted with my stand location. I had seen a few small bucks, missed one with a pistol and I was just about over it. I called a friend and he told me to just sit tight as the location I am in holds some good deer. I always hunt on Thanksgiving because that was the one day a year papaw and I always went, no matter what. He has been gone for several years now and I still always go no matter what. I got up, had some coffee, got ready to leave, slipped papaw's old hunting knife on my belt and stared at the gun cabinet trying to decide what to take. I was going to take my 30/06 because that was his favorite caliber but I am waiting for a new scope. When we went I always carried my old 30/30 lever, I no longer have it but I do have the .35 so I grabbed it. 2 does came flying up and old grown up road and stopped for a few minutes, I knew something was after them I just didn't know what. I look up and I see times coming through the brush. He's grunting and half chasing, I get a small opening and I let one fly at about 40yds. I hear him crash off and then all is silent. I give him and hour, and a friend and I go to find him. He didn't go far, I wasa little aggravated at the lack of blood, no pass through, but we did find him in short order. Not a monster by any means, but a pretty good buck and it means a lot being on this day. In all honesty this is the first buck I have ever even seen on Thanksgiving. He is a 9 point with a kicker making him a 10pt. He started a spliit brow but it is a tad short.

[Linked Image]

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I just shot mine this afternoon to make sure it was on. Good old gun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just bought a 1977 model 336/.35 Rem a few weeks ago for the late deer season. Had awful weather, so no success, but it sure shoots and carries nice.

I've been told that this should work for elk too at close ranges. I'm using the Hornady ammo.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Goat,

So well said and well written.

Doc

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've owned and sold two Marlins, one the Marauder, like an idiot. Anyway, despite owning almost a dozen deer rifles, I decided I couldn't do without a pre-warning Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Went to the Freeport, NY gun show this past weekend. Saw a guy walking around with a slung Marlin, with the little for sale flag tucked in the muzzle. The rifle appeared to be 60s vintage, very clean, totally original and well cared for. The price was right and I bought it! I now have three classic levers in classic calibers: a Winchester 88 in .308 that can hold an inch at 100 yards, a vintage Savage 99 in .300 Savage and now the Marlin 336.

Can't wait to get a scope mounted on this rifle and get it to the range. It will be my primary rifle for the 2010 hunting season.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FLYING FOOT Here's a true story for ya! Dec 18, 2009, near dark, under 50yds, DRT like a big rock. 200 lb rock. 270Ruger ultralight, 130 hornady SST--LUNG SHOT angled to his right shoulder. Not much meat damage just DRT!!! Not a step, not a twitch, just DRT! If you don't beleive me, I can't help that! I usually hunt the woods with my 35 or 45/70 marlin but this was on the edge of a big field with 300yd shots. Glad to know the 270 and SST were still effective.
Bullet didn't exit and I didn't find it but, I gutted him in the dark.??

happy hunting

Last edited by caveman; 12/24/09.

cavey
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 21 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,496
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.