-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember being a teenager and going to the auto store buying engine parts and an old man in there looked at me and said " son, general motors has spent thousands of trial and error and engineering in that engine and you think youre gonna make it perform better in a weekend" i guess i should have listened to him then but....anyway...the 45 round was designed for 230gr and i think its best. i have shot the 185jhp's from sierra and i like the expansion but when bullet length and diameter nearly meet it kinda bothers me. bergers makes a 185fmj thats a plated lead and it works well in a 1911 but the grooves in a glock hate them. they are cheap to shoot and they are hollow base that give you good bullet length. loading them light might cause a misfire due to the hollow base in the bullet..it might not ignite if the powder is too far from primer. man, i just like the 230fmj and from my testing to get good expansion is kind of tough with any bullet but it can be done.

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GSSP
I cast an LBT 230 gr Wide Flat Nose/WFN for my Ed Brown Special Forces 45 acp. It's a wonderfully accurate and deadly bullet.

Alan

PS, I sell them over on Gunbroker.

[Linked Image]

That is an excellent bullet IMHO. Flat point hard cast are excellent IME

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the LBT 230 gr LFN. Great bullet!

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by macrabbit
The 185 JHP at 1100 hits like "the hammer of Thor" grin on blacktails and jackrabbits (and perhaps pigs- I don't remember if I've done that).

I've done it now, for sure, though.
Still the hammer of Thor. At least, through the eye at 7 paces! laugh

(Stupid pig. It came right up to this ugly lump on the hillside. I'd like to know, though, if it came there because of my "dying rabbit blues" serenade.)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by GSSP
I cast an LBT 230 gr Wide Flat Nose/WFN for my Ed Brown Special Forces 45 acp. It's a wonderfully accurate and deadly bullet.

Alan

PS, I sell them over on Gunbroker.

[Linked Image]
Man, that's a good looking bullet, I wish I had that mold. I have a Lee FP mold and it turns out very accurate and very good bullets, but I'd love to have some with a meplat like that; very nice.

That is an excellent bullet IMHO. Flat point hard cast are excellent IME

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 185 JHP at 1100 hits like "the hammer of Thor" grin on blacktails and jackrabbits (and perhaps pigs- I don't remember if I've done that).

I've done it now, for sure, though.
Still the hammer of Thor. At least, through the eye at 7 paces! laugh

(Stupid pig. It came right up to this ugly lump on the hillside. I'd like to know, though, if it came there because of my "dying rabbit blues" serenade.)

[Linked Image]
Well, I'm not cool like you and have pictures ('cause this was a long time ago), but I've killed hogs with the .45ACP using first a 255 grain cast bullet (.45 Colt bullet), and then a factory Jacketed Flat Point (cant remember who made it, I think it was GECO or Fiocci, but I don't remember) and finally settled on 230 grain JHP's once I figured out that Hogs weren't as hard to put down as everyone said they were. Eventually, I took to the field with a 9mm with 124 grain JHP's which did the job just fine also. Still, nothing dropped a hog like my .30-30.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! I've never been called cool "cool" cool before. Thanks.
Maybe soon I'll even be allowed to play in some reindeer games.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

(I agree pigs aren't Sherman tanks, but vs deer I've had pigs gain more yards after the catch shot. While we shouldn't scare newbies with stories of hogs' invulnerability, we'd do an equal disservice if we implied they're cream-puffs. And I'll continue to wield my 185-gr. H of T. smile )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I've found, like just about every other animal that walks planet earth, it's all about shot placement. With body shots, unless you break the shoulder, they are a bit tough to put down. But since pig hunting is normally an up-close kind of thing, I've made it a habbit to take head shots. Now I fully expected to see handgun bullets bounce off a hogs head, because I've seen it with humans, but I've been surprisingly delighted to see that it hasn't happened to me yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
it's all about shot placement.

Don't bring up that old wive's tale again! Convince everyone of that and we'll have nothing to argue about.

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Well I've found, like just about every other animal that walks planet earth, it's all about shot placement. With body shots, unless you break the shoulder, they are a bit tough to put down. But since pig hunting is normally an up-close kind of thing, I've made it a habbit to take head shots. Now I fully expected to see handgun bullets bounce off a hogs head, because I've seen it with humans, but I've been surprisingly delighted to see that it hasn't happened to me yet.

Kevin - in case you didn't see it, you might be interested in this thread...

Digital Dan's life with CBs (and pigs)

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (21, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 6,704 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,827
Posts18,537,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.