Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cabelas has Rem-UMC carbine ammo in stock, I just recived 250 rounds.

Doc

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jorge, i saw a really good article in gun tests magazine regarding the m1 carbine. it compared 2 offerings from the cmp vs. 2 commercial offerings, one by fulton armory, the other by auto-ordnance.

check it out, the results may well surprise you.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my intent was not to get into a pizzing match with you about this. You stated you did not trust them, I said I have one that has been issue free.

Not sure where you are going with this now though"
Me, not going anywhere. The link i showed reflected the history of the universals. Some of them, the single spring ones are a lot different than the later double spring ones.
Unlike a military carbine, universals were much different depending on when they were made.
I don't look down on the aftermarket carbines as shooters.
As mentioned I have a iver johnson that i had put together with a new barrel and mil spec parts and it works really well.
On the other hand i had a friend pick up a alpine a few years ago that had a crooked barrel.
I wasn't doubting your success with yours. Just pointing out for those not familar with carbines some of the history.
I have a friend that has owned a 1903A3 for years and believed all that time it was a military issue rifle. Had to break the bubble that it was not. However it shoots just fine.
I might add also in reference to the garand, most are parts guns. Meaning they were switched around as to the internals.
The cmp did get some back in that WERE original and have gone off at auction, some in the ten to 12000 range. It wouldn't be impossible to find one untouched, but not to likely altho it does happen.
I know where there is a unfired HRA at a house near me that I will never get a chance at. The guy who owns it had an in with the director of the d.c.m. many years ago while in the marines. He got it from memory in the 50's. Haven't tore it down and that would be the only way to determine condition.
Most carbines and garands as to the internals went through various revisions as to the parts. Just cause it says it's all winchester, don't make it correct.
Actually i believe the term being used in the carbine club and garand club for parting back to original times is "as original." Not to run this thread to much further, but recently i got a winchester "bavarian" carbine. The germans refinished them and did some other cosmetic things to it, but i think it is pretty much in the condition it was as to the parts as when they got it in 1945. Germans had a thing about marking parts to the gun. From the colors it wasn't touched, but the insides have some variety as to manufacturer. I think done by the U.S. Army in europe at the time. I might add it muzzle guaged at a "2" which means it wasn't used much.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/26/09.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16gage, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.