-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once you make the choice WHERE you are going,you will need to find out what is the biggest animal on the venue..Kudu,Eland?
Plan for your biggest kill.I taken two Zebra,one with a .270 and the other a .338,Kudu went down with one hit from the .338.IF you are in an area with Eland,then take your 9.3.
If the biggest in a package in Gemsbok,Impala,Warthog ,Kudu your .270 with the best,ACCURATE bullet will work fine...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hi all,

having answered the question over .270 vs 9.3 x 62, I'll quantify that by saying answered "for me".
I would now like to pose the question over whether or not you guys would recommend using protected point (PP) or round nose (RN) projectiles? Most likely Woodleighs, and in what weight for the 9.3?
Cheers,
Aussielad.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Mate, personally I like round nose bullets. If an animal is so far that a round nosed bullet can�t reach it without dramas � you�re too far away. Get closer. I�d say a 9, 3 250gr round nose will work on any PG animal � if you shot placement is true. Having said that, there�s no reason why a spitser / protected point bullet 9, 3 250gr would not do the same.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Woodleighs and Africa are like Tooheys and T-Bones.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
JJHack has this right. I've been with him twice now and watched our parties shoot well with: 9.3x62, .338,.300WSM, .325WSM,.300 Weatherby, and 30-06. They all killed game DRT. This time I took a 30.06 with a premium scope and really enjoyed it. I could see the bullet impact through the scope and all died one shot on the spot. Guys in the camp went through some long tracking exercises, but got every animal. You gotta have blood trails. Ligher recoil just makes it more fun. I shot great Elliesbear custom ammo with BTX bullets and that's what I'll take next time.

The F-4 Phantom II is the standard of excellence that all modern fighters are measured by. Sign on the wall at the factory in St. Louis.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

OK...fill me in...whats a Toohey?

confused
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ingwe

confused
Ingwe

Tooheys (new) is an Aussie beer that is slimly distributed by Budweiser here in the US. It has won the "International" category for the best lager beer for the last 2 years.

A Tooheys draft is heaven in a glass and has no equal. Nothing at all like US Draft beer. Heavier, smoother, clean palate. I knew it was that good when I was 18. (Thankfully, drink driving laws were invented)

Just loaded up some 180gn Woodleighs in my .30/06 and boy, do they look good.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Yeah, but we know the others tracking problems weren't because of the calibers or brand of bullets..shoot a wildebeast the the snout and he aint gonna be DRT, or a zebra through the guts, etc. You and Clay didn't have to go find any...course, a fellow that been a thousand miles an hour, upside down, over hanoi, at night or a fellow thats been "dealing with" the taliban in the hindu kush ought to be able the shoot something in the chest! And ya'll did!

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Tooheys (new) is an Aussie beer that is slimly distributed by Budweiser here in the US. It has won the "International" category for the best lager beer for the last 2 years.

A Tooheys draft is heaven in a glass and has no equal. Nothing at all like US Draft beer. Heavier, smoother, clean palate. I knew it was that good when I was 18. (Thankfully, drink driving laws were invented)

Thanks AGW!! We have a specialty store on the corner here, if he doesn't have it...nobody does....will be sure to try it next time I have JB and Eileen up for a barbie!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .338 caliber and .358 caliber were made to order for the plains game of Africa. FORGETABOUT those .270's calibers gents, good for Impala but your better off with the .338 caliber simply put it handles all things across the board in plains game.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would take the 9.3 and not hesitate one second.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7 mag with premium 160-175gr bullets should do the trick!!!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Hi all,

having answered the question over .270 vs 9.3 x 62, I'll quantify that by saying answered "for me".
I would now like to pose the question over whether or not you guys would recommend using protected point (PP) or round nose (RN) projectiles? Most likely Woodleighs, and in what weight for the 9.3?
Cheers,
Aussielad.

I've made a lot of 1-shot kills on plains game with .30 caliber 180 grain bullets. Therefore I'd tend toward lighter bullets in a 9.3. I can't see any reason to consider round noses. You might get a shot down a dirt road or something and appreciate a bit more ranging. Another reason to use lighter bullets. Woodleigh bullets are not very available where I live so I have no game experience with them. I shoot Nosler Partitions exclusively for anything the size of a bull elk, kudu, or smaller. That includes every African plains game species short of eland. I would not hesitate to use a 180 grain bullet on an eland but have never shot one.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the truth is a .30-06 with good 180's is just about ideal. I have hunted with over a dozen PH's now, and know at least that many more quite well, and only one didn't hold the .30-06 in high regard.

He was also the youngest PH I've ever hunted with, and basically was run out of the business because he was a thief and liar. Whether that had anything to do with his opinion of the .30-06 could be debated.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like a bit more poop than an 06 personally, especially for eland & zebra. Hard to beat the 300 Weatherby with 180 TSXs or a 338 with 210 of the same. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 9.3x62 and a 200 gr. Woodliegh would be as close to an IDEAL combination as you could get for plains game...
And yes, it'll work out to 300 yds...
Perfect.

Ingwe

I would second that. If I used the 270 I'd probably load the 160-gr Nos Part assuming they still make it or a 150-gr TSX.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, yeah, Nosler still makes the 160 Partition, but I have never seen it used in Africa.

Have seen a bunch of plains game animals whacked with the .270 with the 130 Hornady Interlock and 150 Partition, and they all died pretty darn quickly. Have also seen some shot with the 140 TSX from the .270 WSM and various 140-175 grain bullets from the 7x57 and 7mm-08. They also died expeditiously, since almost all were shot well. Only one or two weren't, but one of those was due to a scope that went bad, and the other to iron sights in the hands of somebody too old to use them precisely.

As a matter of fact the oldest and most experienced PH I've hunted with thinks the 7x57 is plenty for plains game, even eland. He started as a game ranger in Zim over 40 years ago, but what does he know? He does think that if somebody can shoot something bigger that's not a bad idea, but he isn't impressed with bigger cartridges until he sees his clients shoot them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

confused
Ingwe

AGW - oddly, the last Tooheys I drank was in Anchorage, AK. Drank many in Gladstone and Townsville when there for a military exercise. Drank many more with my Australian mate when I was stationed in Japan. He drank a lot of VD (which I love), XXXX, and Coopers.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Thanks AGW!! We have a specialty store on the corner here, if he doesn't have it...nobody does....will be sure to try it next time I have JB and Eileen up for a barbie!! grin

Ingwe

I have already passed this info to John. He mentioned that store so maybe he has a cold one waiting for you?

JW

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

I think it is a great thing that this eternal (and unanswerable) question about calibers has morphed into one about beers, which is obviously more substantial.

Here's to hoping that someday you and I will drink one together, at best around a campfire....

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,341
Posts18,487,734
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.