Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

I guess another reason I got away from the hips is that at typical CQB ranges of 5 yards and in I found it wasnt as hard as I thought it would be to hit someone in the head with reliable consistency. I would have never thought it was possible until several thousand rounds of airsoft convinced me it was a very viable option.

I have to admit that when thinking back, I covered the head of quite a few suspects with my Glock while on a lot of felony stops and a couple of hostage situations. Of course, during the hostage situations we had two sniper teams at each scene, and each was resovled without anyone being harmed. I knew in those circumstances that by the time I knew there was a green light given to the snipers, the suspect's head would have already undergone a total cranial evacuation.

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Never hear it quite put as a "total cranial evacuation" but that is very accurate based on the head shots I have seen with .308s..

Good luck and stay safe out there, sometimes I miss it but with todays west coast media Im kind of glad Im out now.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not commissioned by anyone; I've been in school since I left LE, augmenting our household income by teaching, some semesters full time. I have about 1 year left and I should have the degree I seek.

I've been out 10 years and I still miss it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lee,

I did go to med school, ALL of it and biochem and genetics were not required coursework at our school. They were prereqs. Where did you attend these classes?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There ya go duckster, let the cat outa the bag! grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God, what a strange thread crazy

Lots of good info punctuated by Liar's foolishness. I have him on ignore, but his posts keep coming up in the quotes.

I shot some soda cans one day with .22, .357, and .44 shotshells at 15 feet or so. The .22's might have dented them a little; the .357's would put a couple holes in them, and the .44 would actually shred them enough to make you think, "that would actually kill a snake". I will stick to bullets for two legged vermin. I also prefer autoloaders to revo's, but this one is a pretty good tool for defense:

[Linked Image]

Don't own it anymore, but the .357 in its original platform is no slouch smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
old speer manual gives info.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cannot believe I just read the whole thread.

A few years back I took a local deputy prosecutor and his Dr. buddy down to a local ranch. They wanted to kill some rattlesnakes.

My prosecutor buddy had a cheap (Star or Bersa or something) 9mm.

At a distance of about 10 feet on a side hill full of shale rocks, he bounced a load of snakeshot off a flat rock (and snake) squarely into my face. Fortunately I was wearing wrap around ESS shooting glasses. A funny conversation followed.

Stung a bit but that was it. I got some great mileage with that one though. Standing around in the halls at court, my friend got ribbed quite often over that one. He was the only local deputy prosecutor to have a reputation as a cop shooter.

The snake was unfazed until I popped him with a 240 grain SWC from a .44.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't use the .357 much, as I prefer .44s. That being said, I have used one effectively in defense from Monty Python type killer Jackrabbits that stalk the Great Basin Range of the West.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
How much did it cost you to have that awesome surface texture applied to the metal? laugh

PS I know the story. I was joking. Actually does look cool, tough.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You know Hawkeye,

The sad part is you know the story. I have been spending too much time gone and retelling old stories instead of being afield making new ones. I am back in the states now, so it is time to get out into the deserts and mountains and get back at it.

I just have not acclimated to the cold yet though. Winter in the Rockies is a bit cooler than where I have been.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mackay

Careful how you sit that Ruger, it could fall off and scratch the finish.

Please tell me it is not 13076, She would never forgive me for trading her into that life!

Is that the one advertised as 8 pound sledge with finished highlights of ball peen?

Last edited by LouisB; 01/10/10.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I am back in the states now, so it is time to get out into the deserts and mountains and get back at it.

Welcome home, Mack. I'm glad you're safe and sound.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now getting back to the "Bird Shot" or whatever some wish to call it, I have shot snakes with a .357 mag and #7.5 shot and #6 shot out of a .357mag cal. handload. The #6 shot penetrated better but the #7.5 shot scored more hits on target, distance being 15 feet.

However, I found it much more effective to use the .44mag cal and #6's, as it kills big snakes (rattle snakes) dead as a door nail at 20 feet.

I would never consider using a .357 mag loaded with #7.5 or #6 shot as a means of self-defense (only as a last resort thing) being there were no 158 grain hollow points around for the pistol.
I do believe that a .44 mag pistol loaded up with #6's, would at 6 feet cause an attacker to be disabled or slowed down a whole bunch! Once again I would much rather be in that situation with my pistol loaded up with 240 grain hardcast bullets.

Now if we are going to discuss med school, anatomy is a 1st year required course for grad students enrolled in medical school. One does NOT simply just sign up and walk into class. It does NOT work that way gentlemen, as most of you already know. In some schools Pharmacy students and medical students share the same classes for the 1st year and courses for the first 2 years are very much alike.

There just is not enough room for random people in those classes period. Classes are always put together by school officials and if your not majoring in the medical field, your not going to get into a class, just because your wanting to learn this or that.

Last edited by Tonk; 01/10/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Tonk,

That was what we called our frequent fliers in the Sheriff's Department; we called them "Tonks." Although we did not purposely strike anyone above the collar with an expandable baton (ASP), except in very limited circumstances, if one happened to slip, or the suspect bobbed into a blow, the sound of a baton striking a head was a hollow "TONK." Of course, intentionally striking someone above the collar with a baton was considered using Deadly Force against that person. So, when a "TONK" occurred, one had better be justified in shooting the suspect. If it was an accident, first the suspect was taken to the hospital for at least a CAT scan (after a baton strike anywhere, we took the strikee to the hospital), and then the offending officer had roughly a ream of paper to write in an attempt to stay out of jail, keep from losing everything in the inevitable civil suit and keep his job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes,

Last edited by Tonk; 01/10/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome home, Mackay! I think you missed the worst of it - the cold anyway.

Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
...At a distance of about 10 feet on a side hill full of shale rocks, he bounced a load of snakeshot off a flat rock (and snake) squarely into my face. Fortunately I was wearing wrap around ESS shooting glasses. A funny conversation followed....

I've been hit by reflected snake shot from a handgun round too. That is why I don't use it against snakes on reflective surfaces - and also never without good eye protection. "You'll put your eye out!". grin Stings - doesn't it? wink

Really - if one sets out to clear snakes as a mission, it's a lot cheaper and safer to just use a shovel. We (my crew and I) killed dozens....maybe hundreds of rattlers along the tracks in Wyoming - using simple hand implements, and even a couple hydraulic tools. But the snake-loaded handgun is a lot easier to pack around. Still - if you haven't verified a good dense pattern (which I've found comes best from larger bores), those loads ain't much use against anything at all.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use #12 shot in handloaded Speer capsules. They do work well out to 10 feet or a little beyond and the small shot gives me a dense pattern. I was surprised by how well a .22 LR crimped shotshell worked against a rattler at about 6-8 feet with a head shot. It dropped and did not even twist or writhe about like I expected. DRT. .38, .44 and .45 Colt work even better. There is a lot of #12 shot in a .44 or .45 shot capsule! I load them up very light, as that provides better patterns.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Really - if one sets out to clear snakes as a mission, it's a lot cheaper and safer to just use a shovel. We (my crew and I) killed dozens....maybe hundreds of rattlers along the tracks in Wyoming - using simple hand implements, and even a couple hydraulic tools.

Laughin' at the mental image - FreeMe and the Braveheart crew on a snake binge. wink

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.