Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sitka, if you think so, fine. But you would be wrong.
It is not just the cost per ounce of material that goes into the expense of gun finishes. Of course you know that, but then you are mighty defensive of that plastic/epoxy that you favor so much.

I never said english walnut was black walnut but simply that we use both of them then, and now. They are not appreciably different in anyway that affects finish.

So, enjoy your dillusions, but while you are doing it, the top gunmakers in the world will continue to use oil based finished the vast vast majority of the time, and that is a fact.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrentD
Sitka, if you think so, fine. But you would be wrong.
It is not just the cost per ounce of material that goes into the expense of gun finishes. Of course you know that, but then you are mighty defensive of that plastic/epoxy that you favor so much.

I never said english walnut was black walnut but simply that we use both of them then, and now. They are not appreciably different in anyway that affects finish.

So, enjoy your dillusions, but while you are doing it, the top gunmakers in the world will continue to use oil based finished the vast vast majority of the time, and that is a fact.

Brent

Brent
Your chickenshit picking is getting tiring... Not once in this thread have I mentioned epoxy. It is your bunched thong that appears to be doing the most chaffing. Not once have I mentioned any specific finish being better than oil or Permalyn or pro-custom.

You mention Guild members as if they are the ultimate authority on finish quality... They aren't and as proof, they do not agree. I can send you to Guild members that do not use oil finishes except over serious sealers. Some even use epoxy. They are not using epoxy because they think oil is a more waterproof finish, that is a guarantee.

If they were finishing black walnut you would see a huge swing away from oil finishes. Most still foolish enough to use sanded slurry finishes would finally smell the coffee and drop that joke method.

SOme might find this hard to believe, but there are guild members that will argue that glass bedding is never needed and completely unacceptable. Some will continue to do all sorts of foolish things even after seeing absolute proof their trick does not do what they think it does...

What I did say is that black and European walnut are not alike and there are HUGE differences in the considerations when finishing them in commercial operations. Anyone that has two brain cells to rub together will see that instantly on working them. To suggest as you just did that there are no differences is either pathetic or an attack just to be a prick. Either way, you are in total error on that point.

By the way, how many Gulid members have called you asking advice on wood finishes?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love the way you look down your nose at a few hundred years of gun building. Still works, that is the biggest problem with your arguments. Still works. Why does that bother you so much?

Meanwhile, go for the plastic dip if you want.

But keep at it! It is, at least, entertaining.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brent
Pretty obvious you are just spoiling for an argument. Pretty obvious you are clueless about the basic problems associated with wood movement. Pretty obvious that is not slowing you down one little bit.

1) Your concepts of stock finish change drivers are at best simplistic.
2) Your contention oil has been working for hundreds of years as proof of its ultimate fitness is at best simplistic.
3) Your experience with oil over epoxy is not even up to simplistic.
4) Your comprehension of basic differences between woods and how that affects finish is non-existant.

While there is much more it has become obvious to many that your sole focus here (24hour) is now trolling. Sad, because there is much you might learn... Not thinking your kind of teaching skills are needed.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sitka, you do this everytime the issue of oil finished come up.

This time, 6 posts ago you claimed to have rested your case. But here you are again. Why all the hostility?

But you are right, money, profits, etc. They are simplistic. They are also correct. Simplicity need not be opposed to truth.

Sadly, there is much you also might learn. But you don't. You don't know much about the history of gun making - it seems you know even less than I, and that's not much.

So, why do you bark so loud?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reading comprehension ain't your long suit, is it? Kindly show me any indication of a rested case six posts ago. If you assimilate information this well with everything, say especially firearms history, I can understand how you came to such false ends. I will happily stick to my version of firearms history, especially as it relates to finishes.

"...do this everytime..."

What, waste time trying to help someone clearly lost? Sorry begins to describe a number of things in this thread... I am sorry I wasted time with you. I am sorry you distracted the course of the thread... And of course you are sorry... very sorry.

Now I am done with you...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Sorry to leave you hanging in suspense like that. Had to go out and kill another meat deer. It was snowing right at freezing, humidity was 100%, everything is soaked. Except my Permalyn finished local black walnut butt stock, of course. Of course we only have regular water and snow around here, not the extra wet kind.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Reading comprehension ain't your long suit, is it? Kindly show me any indication of a rested case six posts ago.

Good insult, but you wrote in post number #3619933
"The last thing I am going to say is that the finish is not a good finish.."

How else would I interpret it? Actually, it was in the beginning of the post, so you were off on yet another rant even before you finished.

Now I am done with you...

Oh goody. For how long? 10 minutes? Meanwhile, oh never mind, yee ain't worth the trouble.

Brent

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Brent
Pretty obvious you are just spoiling for an argument.

I haven't been on this forum long but IMO it is YOU that have a zest for confrontation. Perhaps if you didn't approach every post thinking "there is much you might learn" as you mentioned earlier. It's all in the delivery man. You have much to share. More people could absorb it if the delivery were less abrasive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
I haven't been on this forum long but IMO it is YOU that have a zest for confrontation. Perhaps if you didn't approach every post thinking "there is much you might learn" as you mentioned earlier. It's all in the delivery man. You have much to share. More people could absorb it if the delivery were less abrasive.

TA DA!!!! Buy that man a beer!!! Only post that makes any sense in the whole thread.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always made my own. Usually a mix of spar varnish and linseed with driers added. Lately Min Wax Wipe on poly, turpentine, Tung,and Linseed with Japan drier. Might add Carnuba Wax to the last coats.

Both Pro-Custom and Permalyn are similar. Permalyn is closest to the Poly/Oil mix I like. It is an up dated version of Flecto-Varathane a long oil poly varnish.

Each person will find what suits them eventually. The search for an improvement over plain linseed oil has been going on over 200 years and hasn't ended yet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 62 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.