Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sort of sorry I brought this up.

Nice to learn that none of us in northern Maine know how to hunt deer.

GB1

S
S
In north central WA there are a few guides that have leased all of the good private land and there's a lot of animosity. Higher state taxes, higher license fees, and shorter seasons are all signs of...? FYI if you come to WA for a guided hunt: skip Jerrod Gibbons. (sorry, personal hunting experience talking).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far, failure just breeds determination. I get up earlier, look harder, and stay out later. Hunting or fishing, I know that if I keep going, I can wear one out of the woods or water. Sometimes the season cuts me off before I'm ready to quit though.

Honestly, I keep going just because I enjoy it all. We do more big sky country, as opposed to deep woods stuff where quarry might only be yards away. There are really only brief periods where I truly hunt with cat like intensity. Most of the time it's a passive endeavor and I'm thinking of a whole array of things. I spent a sh-tload of time in college and took classes on herpetology, ornithology, dendrology, agrostology, botany, mammology, entomology, geology, ichthyology, plant/animal ecology, and animal behavior. It's really hard to get around out there, because there's too damn much to look at and listen too.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Doesn't seem to distract you enough to keep you from harvesting something nice most trips, from your pics!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't. The woods is a great place to take a nap. I've seen me do it!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds to me like alot of states are doing the same thing that va. is. they issue more and more tags every year,til sooner or later they hurt the deer population. in some parts of va. the deer are very hard to find due to many doe tags or the lack of mass crops. and then there are those damned coyotes. thing are changing fast with insurance companies putting tons of pressure on the government to thin the the deer out. most of the over populated areas near me are in the city ,where you can't hunt. if they allow hunt its doe only. i can't sit in a stand and let the big bucks walk all the time. some one said the killed 22 deer legally,theres something very wrong with that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I'm guilty of this too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The desire to kill a nice buck keeps me focused, otherwise, I would do something else with my time.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was sound asleep on opening day when a buck rudely woke me up. Made me so mad I shot the SOB. Focus is for wimps smile

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I'm not into it I go do something else.

Well, you could hunt all them wolves in Northern Maine that is obviously killing all the deer......... wink

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by High_Brass

I was sound asleep on opening day when a buck rudely woke me up. Made me so mad I shot the SOB. Focus is for wimps smile

That's the spirit!!!.......... A man after my own heart......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I didn't hunt from a stand at all this season. But when I did last year, I would try to ID every sound I heard and every movement I saw. Was it a robin or a cardinal? Was that sound an armadillo or a turkey?

You wouldn't believe how sharp your senses will get in a morning hunt.

But If the deer aren't moving, I can't sit in a stand like that anymore.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoot, you in a FL lease, or out of area?

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Its located on the east coast near cape canaveral. total of 52,000 acres. I hunt about 17,000 on the south end.

You can check it out at Miamitracthuntclub.com

tc.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I always aim at squirrels with my rifle, and try to follow them as flawlessly as possible. Gets your senses up, I have also resorted to sleeping. But that didn't seem to fix anything shocked haha. Just don't resort to drugs to stay concentrated.....!! No matter how boring it gets

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.