Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
BIG difference between a kid getting a whack now and then to discipline vice being abused by an alcoholic or non-alcoholic parent.

That people can't tell the difference between the two says a lot about them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was never physically abused by my parents, but rather verbally. Everytime I was hit I deserved it. I don't look back and wish I wasn't hit. I don't consider it abuse because it taught me lessons and the verbal abuse taught me how NOT to treat my son. My only regret is that I wish I didn't allow myself to believe I was stupid like my parents said I was. I got over it, but it wasn't until I was a teenager.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude gotta ask.WTF is with those diaper pics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You shoulda just took their word on it!

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"OK, Go pick a switch." That's what my mother and Grandma used to say. Richard Pryer used to have a funny in his act about the switch. He said that he pick a switch and say that he wouldn't do it anymore. Then he would throw his elbow in the air and run and jump in circles quoting his Grandma saying, "you bet your sweet little black a$$ you won't do it anymore". It make the calves of my legs sting just to think about it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Maser
My only regret is that I wish I didn't allow myself to believe I was stupid like my parents said I was.

Your parents were right.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remember Bill Cosby and - "all children have brain damage"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMSc97UksM

Last edited by BCBrian; 01/03/10.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
My only regret is that I wish I didn't allow myself to believe I was stupid like my parents said I was.

Your parents were right.

That's mean....

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was I spanked as a child? Yes and my brother and I are not anywhere the worse for wear because of it. Did we deserve the it the spanking I mean. Yep, I can honestly say we did.

Did I spank my three kids? Yes, but with an open hand and yes it was a great motivator not to do it again and yes they grew up to be find additions to Society, none of them had any behavior issues that required law enforcement intervention.

A Few years ago I had a discussion with one of our local county jailers on the subject and he related to me that in his profession he got to know a lot of inmates at his facility and that he could definitely tell who among them were spanked or Spocked as young ones.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Dude gotta ask.WTF is with those diaper pics.

It's called incontinence.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mosaic_Lynn
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Your parents were right.

That's mean....

grin

Maybe so, but MiddleFork Miner was still right!

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The few I got that I DIDN'T deserve did not nearly make up for the ones I DIDN'T get that I DID deserve. (If that makes any sense.) laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, rarely but memorably, and I usually deserved it. With my own kids we used a small rod of some sort like a wooden spoon etc. and I learned one thing that would have improved the spankings I got as a child: don't discipline in anger. My Dad had to be furious before he would spank me.

With my own kids I did it with disappointment and grief that it needed doing and let the kid know that. Didn't have to spank very many times all together. My wife is asked sometimes to teach on raising kids and one of her counsels is to teach your child that no means no in any tone of voice. It can be done, though some parents don't believe that.

Outcomes are hard to measure. I have a master's degree, one long marriage, work that I enjoy, and have travelled widely --- all of which could be said by some psychopaths I'm sure.

Our three children have all graduated from college, one with a master's degree. All are responsible adults with good jobs who are raising well behaved children, and all three spank them. I dispaired with our oldest grandson who was the most strong willed rebellious little tot I've ever heard of, but his parent kept at the consistent spankings. He's now a remarkably mature responsibile fun loving 12 year old.

It seems to be working.

As others have said, there is a vast difference between child abuse and physically painful discipline.

One story: when our youngest started college, he had to take some kind of freshman orientation to life. By that time he had crewed on commercial fishing boats in the Arctic, tree planting crews in northern Canada, a construction crew plus had played state championship level football. The subject of teenage rebellion came up in the frosh class and he was the only one in the room who had not rebelled to some extent. Everybody in the room turned to him and asked why he had not rebelled.

"My mother wouldn't let me," was his reply.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
BC- I was. All 9 of my siblings were. My sons were.

So far, only two of us have spent a night (that's all) in jail. Mine was voluntary - I was passing through Pendleton, the bus station closed, and I was walking the streets until it reopened for my ride out, when the cops offered me a bed. Hell, they even left the door open..... good deal for both of us.

My son's was pure space case... long story... traffic related.... (them judges have no sense of humor when you fail to show up, even after paying the fine and thinking the matter was settled!)

Some years ago I was in a college class with a Liberal instructor, adamantly against corporal punishment. She made the case that virtually all criminal prisoners had been "abused" by corporal punishment.

Me, not being too smart, asked the class (all adults in their 30's or later), going for education credits, how many had been spanked in their youth. Every hand went up. Then I asked how many had ever spent a night in jail. Only my hand went up.

I didn't explain- figuring that was worth points! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess, for the most part anyway, I was a pretty good kid. I can only remember getting physically punished for my actions once, and that was with a switch. Yeah, I deserved it. My brother, on the other hand, was much more defiant than I was.

We had no problem doling out a spanking or two with our kids. I actually only remember spanking our daughter once. Our son was much like me as a youngster, he was more afraid to disappoint us than do something to get a spanking - I don't remember ever spanking him. All I had to do was look at our son and we "counted" at our daughter. They seem to have turned out OK albeit "progressive" - don't know where we went wrong.

As several have said, there is a huge difference between abuse and a corrective spanking. And it is different for each child and parent. But the parent needs to know where the line is.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid, we had 'the Belt'. I don;t remember many occasions, but I deserved them all. My kids go the hand until they were 5 or 6 and by that time it was unneeded. Spanking were reserved for stuff that could have resulted in serious harm or the like, like when my son lit a fire in his bedroom wastebasket.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Furprick,
I never smacked any of my own, chosing reason and sanction over abuse.

By not disciplineing your children with the proven method, you are abuseing them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only those without the mental capacity to raise a child beat them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was spanked, mostly by mom. Wooden spoon when I was really asking for it. Dad usually got me by the back of my neck with a thumb and middle finger (the "Spock" as someone put it) so as to have my complete attention when he decided a correction was necessary. I deserved more of them than I got.

Daughter is just one now, if she earns a spanking I suspect she'll get it from either of us.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Only those without the mental capacity to raise a child beat them.

Spanking aren't beating. My enormous mental capacity says so.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.