-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My friend an Ph John sharp lost half of his finger to a Puff Adder and what Steve says is prety much word for word what Sharp related to me. He did add that both he and his trackers of many years Isaac and Kevin have been through a lot; lion, leopard, buffalo & elephant charges but NOTHING scares them more than a Black Mamba. Glas I've never seen a SINGLE snake in Africa! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tonk

The PH grabbed me by the arm and pointed to the long snake making it's way in the field. I must have been every bit of 12 or 13 feet long, with a silvery color on the whole of it's body. I saw NO BLACK anywhere! I got a lesson taught to me that day.....this was an adult BLACK MABA I was told. It seems the only black on them is their entire mouth inside. Just the opposite of a Cotton Mouth but black as the ace of spades. I dare say I stayed in the truck.

yep their name comes from the color of their mouth, their body is usually slate gray or silverish in the right light, especially after a shed....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Excellent Plan! I have seen what I believe was an adult black mamba near Lake Manyara. I couldn't be sure because I was running in reverse as fast as I could. The Toyota caught up to me in less than a mile.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, now don't you bother to go get your eyes checked and get a pair of perscription glasses OK. I don't want you to start seeing all those snakes that are around in various places. Trust me Jorge, they are there and that is a fact. Not to mention those friggin Scorpians too.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
the electric shock works, well at least on animals. i first heard of this a couple of years ago from our local veterinarian. he once gave me an extensive lecture on just how one does this. i was amazed but as time went by i sort of forgot about it. i recently asked him about it again and he said that he treated a terrier that was bitten by a puff adder on the tongue. he said the dog was eating again in less than 24 hours. he once told me that if he was bitten by a snake he will take to the cattle prod with out a doubt.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/04/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a big problem with guys killing snakes in the bush out of hand..... there's no need for it, it's illegal in most countries and it's the hunter who is the invader into the snake's environment.

As I see it, people who behave in that manner are just bloody ignorant of the real facts of the African bush.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
the electric shock works, well at least on animals. i first heard of this a couple of years ago from our local veterinarian. he once gave me an extensive lecture on just how one does this. i was amazed but as time went by i sort of forgot about it. i recently asked him about it again and he said that he treated a terrier that was bitten by a puff adder on the tongue. he said the dog was eating again in less than 24 hours. he once told me that if he was bitten by a snake he will take to the cattle prod with out a doubt.

like i said i dont understand how it can work, from what i know it doesnt seem to be possible and i have yet to find anything that tells me why it works, just ppl stating that it does.....but out in the bush with no modern medicine or the like nearby, hell ill shock myself if yah give me the cattle prod grin beats doing nothing, thats for damn sure.....

Last edited by rattler; 01/04/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
As I understand it..shock works on hemotoxin...no idea on cyto or neurotoxin.....
And I agree with Shakari..I don't kill snakes,just catch & photo..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

.....but out in the bush with no modern medicine or the like nearby, hell ill shock myself if yah give me the cattle prod grin beats doing nothing, thats for damn sure.....[/quote]

i hear ya. a friend of mine once got bitten(on the tip of his index finger) by a mamba while stalking kudu. he shot the snake and then took one look at his finger and simply put his finger in front of the barrel and shot the tip of his finger to hell.he then fainted. i know this story isn't suppose to be funny but you should hear the local trackers tell this story.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/04/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i got a bit of a giggle, mainly cause i can see myself doing similar knowing what i know bout snake venom....dont know that i woulda used a gun but i might sacrifice the finger with a quick chop with a heavy knife sure....but placing it over a rifle muzzle? ill pass grin

Last edited by rattler; 01/04/10.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Studies have proven conclusively that an electrical shock does not break down the venom. Too bad, because it beats anaphalaxis if you are allergic to anti venom.

I've seen a puff adder, and several Black Forest Cobras, but no mambas. I'm glad about that. I should note that the staff sees the snakes long before I.

There is a great program about a game ranger in Kruger Park who was struck by a black mamba, and was able to flag down a car and get medivaced to a hospital. The MD's at the hospital didn't believe he was bitten by a mamba, because he wasn't dead after an hour, so they refused to give him mamba anti-venom and put him on a ventilator. After 36 hours or so, his body metabolized the venom, and he began to recover. Eventually he recovered his speech and gave them hell for not believing him.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rattler, a quick question.

Which snake, either nuro or hemitoxin has the fastest acting venom?

By that I mean, considering you are injected with the same amount of venom and receive no medical treatment, which snake's venom is likely to kill the quickest?

The reason I ask is that I have heard of 'one step' snakes and 'two step' snakes, meaning that you will die after taking one step if bitten by one, or you won't take but two steps if bitten by the other.

I don't believe any snake's venom acts this fast, but it got me to wondering which was quickest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1234567
Rattler, a quick question.

Which snake, either nuro or hemitoxin has the fastest acting venom?

By that I mean, considering you are injected with the same amount of venom and receive no medical treatment, which snake's venom is likely to kill the quickest?

The reason I ask is that I have heard of 'one step' snakes and 'two step' snakes, meaning that you will die after taking one step if bitten by one, or you won't take but two steps if bitten by the other.

I don't believe any snake's venom acts this fast, but it got me to wondering which was quickest.

I'm not Rattler and I'm not an expert on snakes, but my guess would be one of the Sea Snakes...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the "one step" and "two step" thing is BS......15 minutes is realistically in normal conditions how quick the fastest acting venom will likely kill a healthy adult male....

Pete is right, the sea snakes have the fastest acting venom and if you think about it that makes sense....they got to paralyze the fish NOW! in a 3D environment like the water...

on land its the fierce snake(inland taipan) of the Australian Outback but it rarely kills anyone in nature cause it lives in one of the most inhospitable places on Earth.....the run of the mill Asian cobra and Russel's viper kill more ppl than any other...both have fairly toxic venom but nothing spectacular, we have a couple rattlesnakes that are worse....however they live in densely populated areas with poor medical care by western standards so by a quirk of geography and economics they whipe out more ppl each year just due to the fact they bite more ppl than any other species...

in Africa Egyptian cobras, saw-scaled vipers(lil bitty viper rarely more than 18 inches long) and the puff adder kill the most...

in the US the eastern and western diamondbacks kill the most....due to their large size and the fact they have large ranges....our lil prairie rattler has more toxic venom than the western diamond back but because its smaller and tends to inject less venom in a bite and the fact its range mainly includes pretty rural country with fewer ppl than the other two, it kills very few ppl...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Awhhhh...come on....

Snakes are cool..... cool

And only the venemous ones count..... grin

Ingwe

I killed my share of cotton mouths near Pierre Part, Louisiana(Bayou Corne and Lake Verret) while in grad school at LSU. They would strike a hit from a .22 if it was too far back, swim toward a boat and look for a fight, and weren't afraid to drop down for a visit if you're alligator hunting in the dark. Snakes are great from a distance, but that's about it for me! These African snakes as y'all describe them, well, y'all are braver than me! blush

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 01/04/10.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Two years ago my PH Henk Viljoen shot two in a termite mound hole with a single 375HH bullet. They were curled up together in a ball in that hole.

And here he is holding up the biggest one! But it was in 2005, when I hunted with you. Henk was hunting with Chris and Cyril.
[Linked Image]

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh yeah Cyril, how could I forget that guy. He was sooooo funny and made that trip such a joy!

Sorry we almost killed him with the pranks we pulled. Was that the same year we put the gemsbok horns in the bush near their water hole blind?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Studies have proven conclusively that an electrical shock does not break down the venom.

Any chance you could direct us to where we could find the studies and results?

There's been talk of such studies for many years but I've never even seen a single paper or scientific report stating any findings either way, and would be very interested to read any you could direct me to.

As I understand the theory, it should work and I remember reading claims from one or two PHs that it did work (seem to remember Wally Johnson of Mozambique fame claimed to have used the Landrover trick a time or two) but of course, those are just claims rather than scientific research with conclusive scientific results.

It'd be nice to see proper conclusions one way or the other for the obvious reason.

ADDED

Having just spent a bit of time researching this on Google, it seems there are no end of arguments and examples either way but very little if any proper scientific studies.

I did however notice that there seemed to be more claims of successful treatment with the HT lead of a truck than there with with using a stun gun...... might possibly be something to do with voltage/current in relation to effeciency of treatment...... but I'd still be very interested in the results of any proper studies that might have been conducted if anyone knows of any.

Last edited by Shakari; 01/05/10.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shakari
Originally Posted by hatari
Studies have proven conclusively that an electrical shock does not break down the venom.

Any chance you could direct us to where we could find the studies and results?

Here is one: pdf file

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JPB,

An interesting read but really an example of my added comment. They used a stun gun and a simulation of a stun gun but didn't try it with a HT lead set up..... if you do a Google search, you'll find several examples where people claim to have used the HT lead set up successfully.

I've heard no end of stories over the years for both arguments and I don't know which is right or even if there's an inbetween where it might sometimes work, but not always..... and I've certainly never had to give it a try on anyone and hope I never will.

I would however, like to see a report of a long term study with really conclusive results either way.

Having said that, I guess it'd be a very difficult subject to research thoroughly! smile

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,308 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,379
Posts18,469,527
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.