-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got whacked when I got too mouthy - it was always mom. That stopped when I got taller than her. My mom is the BEST. I love her. I hope I turn out to be half as good a parent as she was.

And time outs are for puzzy liberals.

Last edited by Ivan; 01/04/10.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gotlost
yes, but not near as often as I probly should have. there was a certane order we would have to sit in Church just so I was at arms lenght.

That's funny. I used to jokingly tell my wife that we were limited to having "only" 8 children because that's all the 2 of us would be able to reach & effectively smack in church. laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by BCBrian
As a teacher who's now taught 30 years I always made it a point when meeting the parents of the real "winners" type of kid (you know, the parent's of kid after kid - of the type - that every parent or teacher would envy)

...in my 27 years as a cop, these are the kids that at thirty, or forty, decide to experiment with cocaine or meth, molest children and commit suicide.

I don't know what is so different about where you live - but around here, I regularly run into the many of the now grown kids that I taught way back when.

Guess what?

The ones often labelled as "winners" back then, for the most part, are still the people, that society in general, would tend to consider the "winners" now.

The ones often referred to as "loosers" back then, are predominantly - still the people most of society would consider to be the "loosers" now.

I think it's safer and more prudent course of action for a parent to try and raise children, who act in such a manner, that upon most people meeting them, would be admired - rather than what you seem to be suggesting.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a teacher who's now taught 30 years I always made it a point when meeting the parents of the real "winners" type of kid (you know, the parent's of kid after kid - of the type - that every parent or teacher would envy)

...in my 27 years as a cop, these are the kids that at thirty, or forty, decide to experiment with cocaine or meth, molest children and commit suicide.

Your observations are opposite to mine. I don't doubt you a bit, but am curious as to the differences between our observations. Probably it has to do with what we mean by kids who are "winners" etc.

Hmm.. On further thought I have seen some kids who lived by the rules of another person; parents, church, etc. and a significant number of them jump the track when they leave the nest, often in their 20's. However, most of them showed a veneer of winsome respectability as an older kid, too brittle and even judgemental about rules. They did not own their own values and it showed. They didn't have a relaxed hold on their standards, even when wrestling with them and failing themselves and everybody else at times. I was not including those surface performers in my winner kids, though they look good on the outside. I would think most classroom teachers would read those kids accurately also.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

I don't know what is so different about where you live - but around here, I regularly run into the many of the now grown kids that I taught way back when.

Guess what?

The ones often labelled as "winners" back then, for the most part, are still the people, that society in general, would tend to consider the "winners" now.

The ones often referred to as "loosers" back then, are predominantly - still the people most of society would consider to be the "loosers" now.

I think it's safer and more prudent course of action for a parent to try and raise children, who act in such a manner, that upon most people meeting them, would be admired - rather than what you seem to be suggesting.

My guess, is that ltppowell is misinterpreting your term 'winner' as 'privileged'.

As the natural tendency is for teachers to end up meeting the 'loser' kids parents, I'm curious what motivated you to make a point of meeting the parents of the good kids, and what you learned from that?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
got my arse whooped a few times.....deserved every one and didnt take me long to figure out how to avoid them was quite simple really, quit doing chit dad told me not to do....dont know when the last one was, know we moved to the new house when i was 10 and dont remember him laying a finger on me at the new house so im pretty sure my last spanking was when i was younger than 10....course you also got to figure even when i was 17 my dad coulda whooped my arse so common seance tended to prevail on the major chit......

on the minor stuff, well dad figured the physical beatings we caused our selves when curing boredom did his work for him......doing 60mph in a plastic sled, being towed by a pickup, down a stubble field tends to give you its own beating if you fall out of the sled....couldnt lift anything heavier than a pop can with my right arm for most of a month....

as for the girls.....havent spanked them in years.....at this point, confiscating their cell phone for a week tends to have better effects than a spanking....they do get popped up side the head with an open palm and a flick of the wrist atleast once a week though to snap them out of doing stupid chit around the house....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got spanked when needed & deserved.

I would have no problem at all spanking my son if needed.... however, my son has a very tender heart and wants to please... I can make him cry by just scolding (telling him I do not like what he is doing and he needs to straighten up)so at this point I do not necessary with my child.

However, we do have friends who need to spank.... wink

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got spanked almost daily sometimes I deserved it sometimes I didn't, but I am none the worse for it now.

My dad used to tell us he should have spanked us in the morning for what we were going to do the rest of the day that way it would be over and done with.

I am not against it now but don't look to it as the first course of disipline.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was, and "it depends."

In my experience, spanking has to be in the arsenal but like nukes it should seldom be used.

What you should NEVER do is throw a parental temper tantrum, beat your kid, then pretend it is "discipline" ... that they somehow earned the beating. That's what my sisters and I experienced as kids from our father. He used to do the same thing to our mom .. that should say something and it ain't good. We never knew what we were being blamed for, who did it, when, etc, we'd just find ourselves lined up bare-assed for a whipping with his leather belt or later, we'd be sent out to cut a switch off the tree by the house that we were going to get whipped with.

Don't every try disciplining your kids until you have your own temper under control.

I whopped my daughter once. Demonstrated that I was serious, if I said it I'd do it. End of her testing limits. My ex never did spank, not with our daughter, not with the one from her 2nd marriage, and both girls are as nice to be around as you can imagine.

As I said, spanking has to remain in the arsenal. At the same time, needing to use it should be considered a parenting failure. Y' only get there if you failed in parenting earlier and are having to take corrective action to get someone back on course ... and y' better not count on it working.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got my butt busted when I needed it and that was not often after the first couple of times! Did the same with my kids and they seem to be well adjusted, productive adults now that have been know to "apply" some "psychology" when appropriate to their kids bottoms.

Seems to work well in our world.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The wages of sin is a good spanking. I got paid.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Never was much for it. I got it a lot,....my kids hardly ever. They seem to be doing okay.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
TOM said it best.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell yes I was spanked! Earned every one of them. Conversely, I can think of only 2-3 times I've done it raising 4 rambunctious boys. Mainly for emphasizing my point when they were doing something dangerous and one case where one was extremely disrespectful to their mother. I still beleive that this is a parent's choice and right. Here in CA, they ask kids everywhere they go if their parents whack 'em, etc. Bunch of bullshit!

What T O M said about the need for spanking is a sign of an earlier parental failure is spot on. Using it as catharsis for one's own temper tantrums is a sign of parental immaturity.

Last edited by kevinh1157; 01/04/10.

Kevin Haile
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mac84
My Mom handled the discipline. Got some good whacks growing up. I'm a firm believer in physical attitude adjustments. wink

HA!---I would get whacks from my Mom and then again when my Dad got home. In some cases the whacks would start at my Grandmothers house with a hickory switch. AND I likely deserved every single one of them. In fact, I know I did.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Guess what?

I am absolutely not suggesting that parents should raise there children to be any less than the best. It is my observation that kids, especially boys, that have no "spirit" as youths tend to sew their wild oats as adults. Maybe it is your suggestion that the "winner" kids don't need discipline to become "winner" adults that I find laughable. Of course, some of these "winner" kids just continue a ho-hum adult life of coloring inside the lines.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with your assessment of "spiritless" kids Pat.

But I guess we just interpreted his statement differently. When I think of a "winner" kid, I think that a strong spirit is necessarily present.

I've got three very strong willed boys. "High-spirited" would be an understatement. I just try to steer that strong willed spirit in the right direction.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I worked hard for every whuppin I got.My folks got thier bluff in early.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The parents who tend to come to post-report card parent-teacher meetings are rarely the ones that we, as teachers, would most like to talk to.

So we tend to talk to the people who show up.

As in life, showing up is a major part of success.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometime compare a kid who got a few spankings to one that got "time outs". I'm referring to spankings,not beatings.
When I got the few that I did get, I was sent to the basement,told to grip the steel pole suportinga beam and not letgo until it was done.
Did my boy the same way,except I told him to go to the barn and get a paddle on the way .I let him soak a little bit before I went out. KIds need to learn that ther are repercussions for thier actions.Both good and bad.

I swear to God,I neve hit a woman,but firmly believe if a lot of them got a smack in the mouth for what they said, they would be a hell of a lot more thoughtful before they opened thier mouth and started bitching ,etc. I know the few times when I got a splt lip for mouthing off,I learned to think a littel bit before I spoke.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 9 invisible), 871 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,118
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.