Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't know how they make pushrods, but now seeing that there is nothing in that lifter valley to come in contact with them.... I'm leaning back towards manufacturing flaw.

you might want to pop some lifters out & put them bottom to bottom & see if they have any rock left to them. Dome to the bottoms ya know?

make sure they haven't "gone flat"

or maybe you are rebuilding the whole engine anyways??

Something clever here.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Was planning on putting in a different cam so I'll do the lifters then.

Wasnt planning on a complete rebuild. Just kinda freshen things up, and try to head off any potential issues.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ran out of money and took a lil break from the project. Still outta money for now but I can work on some of it.

I'll work on getting things mounted and in place and worry about freshening up the motor when funds allow.

Todays lesson. Set a 318 on top of a charcoal canister, a heater hose nub and the distributor and they WILL break grin

Also it dawned on me that I have to lift the truck before I set the motor as the pan is resting on the axle.

[Linked Image]

Anybody know what rigs came with a short shaft water pump? I want to keep everything in the engine bay. I know I can make a new core support and move the radiator so it is intfront of it and behind the grill but I still need room for the fan.
[Linked Image]

Just clears the steering shaft. Wonder if a set of block huggers would give me more clearance?
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No need for block huggers...you cleared it. Of course you might want to actually change plugs or something. grin

No need for a fan either, drive faster. Really I don't have a clue on what you can do for that. I'm thinking if you're going to be bouncing around in the woods with it, you're going to need as much clearance on that fan as you can get. You could always put it in the box. It will look goofy, but it will work.

What is the shooting iron for leaning on the tire? Looks like a serious scope on her.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I know I can put it in the box, but I dont wanna put it in the box grin Maybe an electric fan/electric water pump?? Who knows, it'll sort itself out in the end.

Pulled the rear axle. I'll rob the springs off it, and throw them in the front. It'll move the axle forwards a few inches and give me the lift I need. Find a set of 1/2 ton 2wd ford or chevy springs and throw 'em on the back and I'm in business.

As for that good looking piece of artillary. Well, I dont think the new neighbors have lived in the country before. Seem to have the idea of letting thier dogs roam is okay. I dont wanna start a dog killing war, so When they start fence fighting out comes the "Tacticle BB gun" ...She's got a 6-24x BSA with turrets and an AO....Dunno why but its on it grin grin

I gotta keep it pumped up now though, as when they hear the "wap wap wap" of that thing getting pumped up, they book it grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 04/29/09.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The turrets are a nice touch. smile

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yea but they max out at 25yrds grin

Had a guy working acros the street that we have known for a while come over. Wondering what I was doing to the yota, so he got the tour.

Seems he has a set of axles off a wagoneer. Disks and flat top knuckles. $250 for the set. Notta bad price for a set of D44's

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by joecool544
The easiest, cheapest and best route to go is to find a older Chevy full size truck or blazer and use the motor tranny and transfer case.

Yep you would have been done along time ago. SBC fits right in transfercase on the right side. would of saved all kinds of time and money!!! shocked

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Your probly right. I'm not very good at doing things the easy way though laugh

I really dont have anything wrapped up in the truck as of yet.

I gave a $200 gun and $200 for the dodge. The rear tires on it are brand new and will go on my ranger in a few months. Pretty much bought the tires and got the running gear for free.

Made around $120 off of parts from the toyota so far as well.
If I go with the waggy axles Hopefully I'll be able to sell the yota axles for around that price.

Bassically the only downside that I am seeing about not going with the SBC is that with the chevy most the figuring has been done allready by alotta folks.

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about an update?

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
not much of one. Been getting to work a full 40 or more latly and its been kicking my butt, so it is sitting right now.

Still gotta get ahold of the guy about the axles, then I'll be running again once we get off of this godawfull job we are at right now.

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess you're excused, but get back to it, I'm enjoying watching you work.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
grinJust as soon as I can.

It is alot more fun working on that yota than it is working on this basement I will say that. Did the basement and slab on the building in the background as well

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 06/20/09.
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slacker smirk

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok that explains 2 weeks and now you have money it stays light late right now so either work longer on the basement or get home and work on projects laugh laugh

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slacker? whistle

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.