Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
I may have this wrong, but if I was told correclty it might be Louisiana.

Do they still have drive up windows where you can order a drink like a Sonic Slurpee? You can have it in the car, complete with a straw, but you aren't supposed to drink it.

It's changed in recent years. Drive thru daquiri places were popular. Don't laugh these aren't normal daquiris, but super loaded down with hard liquor.
Even the open container law has changed recently. When I lived there you could have an open container as long as the driver wasn't drinking. Then it changed to just those in the backseat, I don't know about now. But in most places you can buy alcohol and walk around with an open container, I never understood places that banned that.

When I was younger you could go to Miss. and get beer out of vending machiens outside of stores at the beach.

Here in TX you can't buy beer and pizza on the same premises but you can buy any alcohol you want at a drive thru only liquor store.

Otto is my co-pilot.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The county I'm in has three small towns. First town can have bars but no stores. Second town can have stores but no bars. Third town has both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chris112

Pine Ridge, SD; entire reservation is dry. Result is that a certain town in Nebraska sells millions of dollars worth of booze every year and the tribe can't do a thing about it.

Those knotheads are something else! There's been riots and shootouts and all sorts of "wildwest" type stuff over there. Never seen anything like it anywhere on the continent. You can always tell when it's "injun payday". Hords of them walking down the highway in rush hour traffic, regularly a pretty desolate stretch of road. Each car loaded to the gills with carpoolers. Thousands of dollars worth of beercans in the ditch and a truckload of bottles, a supply re-upped every month. You could make a nice living driving a commuter bus, charge them a 12 pack each for the service cuz they got no money... Park a refigerated box truck on the "free" side of the state line so your bus doesn't fill up with payments received. Better be a retired Brinks or WellsFargo truck though... with armed guards...

It's jsut crazy. Federal "stimulus" money generates much of the local economy on the free side. And on the not free side lies the most poverty stricken and repulsive area I've ever visited. It's gut wrenching.

Never encountered the drive through and buy a drink in open container. Belligerently ridiculous... Wonder how many states still have drive through liquor stores? Just like a drive through bank or drive through choke and puke and it was actually pretty handy on payday. Down on the local gut bomb run all 3 were in the same block. Cash your paycheck at drive through bank, pull into your choice of gut bombs and grab supper, then drive through the liquor stop for beverages of whatever sort and ice. After punching the clock it was only 3 quick stops with no worries about parking, and you're ready to head for the hills for a couple hours booze cruise and watch the sunset.

Bachelor days...

Last edited by Archerhunter; 01/06/10. Reason: Last sentence

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
When I was in Oxford, MS going to school at Ole Miss, beer was legal but stores were not permitted to refrigerate it. (I couldn't make this up.!) In the fall and winter, smart store owners would store the beer outside in a locked room and it would be nice and cold. In the summer, you better have a big cooler and lots of ice.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Against the law to drin and drive-- but the bars in Florida used to havr drive thru windows.
Blue law was you couldn't buy alchol before noon on Sunday.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NathanL
Texas. I live in the bible belt here and it's ridiculous. We have more "winos" per capita than anywhere else tho because the holy rollers don't count that as true alcohol and it can be bought at the grocery store as opposed to hard liquor.

Also one of the retarded areas you have to join "the club" to buy alcohol with your meal. Have a college of 16,000 in town and you can't buy beer and pizza in the same location. They think it makes people less likely to drink lol. They publish the DWI's daily here and we have more DWI's in a county of 50,000 than in the last town I lived in which published there's in the paper as well and it was a metro area of 400k and you could buy any alcohol anywhere anytime.

I don't even drink AT ALL and it bugs me.

Go Baylor!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still can't buy "adult beverages" before noon on Sunday here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Still can't buy "adult beverages" before noon on Sunday here.

Or West Virginia as I recall.

But I think PA's "Separation of Beer and Booze" is still the goofiest. Not as purely evil as no booze at all, but goofy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not really a dumb law as much as one of life's little ironies, but as long as I can remember the town where Jack Daniels is produced, Lynchburg, Tenn., is located in a dry county.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Texas, we could buy beer, but no liquor. We asked where to buy liquor, the answer "at the State Beer Store".

KS had some stupid laws. A friend owned a small liquor store in years past. He couldn't have a beer clock, because it was a "moving sign".

Best Texas funny. Why do you always take two Baptist's fishing with you? If you only take one, he'll drink all your beer.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, we can buy beer about anywhere and wine in most grocery stores. Hard stuff has to be sold in state liquor stores. We used to have a drinking age of 19 for beer and 21 for wine and liquor. Carter's illegal highway funding schemes took care of that. Now it's 21 for beer, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The needing to be a club member to drink is pretty common in some of the southern states, but in TX - especially West Texas - it's a hoot. Some of the memberships cost a few bucks, others are free. At one the clubs - Loraine I believe - you need a sponsor to obtain membership, and the person charging the admittance fee sponsors you, silly really. I was entertaining customers in Kingsville recently and had to get sponsorships for all of us, no problem, the barmaid obliged. grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Did my tech training at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX in 1964. Local bars could only sell beer and wine. You could however bring your own booze and they could sell you the set up (Glass/ice/mix). Private clubs were the only place that you could get a mixed drink over the bar.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm going to tell my girlfriend that we need to check the lick her laws the next time we hook up grin

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it still Beer and Booze up to 12 at night then after 12 only booze, in OK City?

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In Texas, alcohol sales are determined by the precinct you live in, which is a subdivision of the county, so depending upon what street you live on, you might have to walk across the street.

In those dry precincts, you can drink at a restaurant if you join the club. Cost to join the club--it's free, and all they do is right down your DL number. You could buy these gold cards that allowed you "drink at will" even in dry precincts. I don't know if those are around anymore.

Beer and wine is sold everywhere, liquor is sold in liquor stores. I guess beer and wine aren't alcohol somehow, and can be bought with your potato chips. You can't buy beer/wine until 12:00PM on Sundays, so stock up before the football games on Sunday. No liquor sales on Sunday, so just go buy then drink beer/wine instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Wyoming we don't have any 3.2 beer, or any beer or alcohol in grocery and convenience stores, but we have drive up windows where you can buy booze from liquor stores without even getting out of you car. It's illegal to open it though, recently we joined the rest of the US in that the passenger can't even open one.

Next door in Nebraska, they don't have the drive ups at liquor stores -- well they do sort of, you can drive up to a door instead of a window and step in and buy something. Or they may step out and see what you want. It's kind of the same thing except for the person handing it to you doesn't get to hand it through a window. They also get booze in the grocery stores over there.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in Kingman we have drive thru and there used to have one in "Bullhead City"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Across the "River" Free Beer and Booze 24 7!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I lived in Houston, TX in 1981, you couldn't have more than one open container in a vehicle per occupant ..... empties had to go out the window. I was shocked when my boss told me that traffice was bad one day, so he was going to pickup a six-pack for the commute home.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (10Glocks, 16gage, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,306
Posts18,526,087
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.