Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yea, sorry not to mention aalf, another fine member!

GOA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks aalf. I intend to give that XBR a go. R15 has been my go-to. Varget works too, but around here R15 is easy to come by. For this coming season I need (want to??) to work with heavier bullets. R15 will work for me, but the claims for XBR are interesting.

Sorry for the sidetrack of this thread btw. As you were.

GOA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well in that case, cheers!

I am 19, and still green. Just barely starting to actually shoot a lot. Full time student, and work full time in loan servicing at the local bank. When I am not with the lady- I am shooting as good and as much as I can (daylight permitting)

Hopefully the weather up North brings some rays of sun- I merely forget what it's like. .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I am polite and I would like to think that still counts for something in this day and age.

I buy Varget at Powder Valley when they have it. I buy in braces of 8 pound kegs and that lasts me for a year or more of twice-monthly competitions and the assorted regional and state matches.

I am traveling this month and my wife called me and asked what in tarnation was in the 25 pound box that arrived in the mail. That was my bullet order for the year for the .308. She started using those funny terms.

Yes, you need to get into handloading but beware; it will not save you money, it will just let you shoot that much more.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ftr,
Did you get my email?
Butch

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am not looking to save money...I just lke the sport of it, and shooting little groups!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065713216927a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Rock+Chucker&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Think that is the winner?

Or should I piece what I need..

FMP

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I sure did and I answered almost right away. I guess you did not get my reply. Check your PM.

Denys

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
FMP: Invest in a top quality rest like a Sinclair or Hart. It will serve you well for literally your shooting lifetime. Later on, you can add a nice coaxial top like the Shadetree unit if you wish.

Don't get sucked into getting an 'almost' rest...like the Caldwell junk. And those orange Hoppes things might make a good jack stand, but not much else.

Remember the difference between value and price. smile

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
right on- do they make a whole starter kit? If not- I have NO idea where to start

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta say get the SEB Coaxial. And a SEB rear bag too. SEB Coaxial

GOA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Hart rest is a good piece of gear. Their Comp 1 or Comp 2 units are great. See pg. 9 of their catalog. My Hart has given me great service for close to 15 years. I do have an asst. of different tops that accomodate small forearm hunting rigs all the way to my BR stuff.
http://www.rwhart.com/

Sinclair makes several nice rests. The Gen II All Purpose is a good one and can be updated later with different bags, etc.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail_list/Shooting-Rests

Add a flat bottomed Protector bunny ear rear bag and you'll have a good, solid setup.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8034/Rear-Bags

The classifieds at Benchrest Central are a good source of used rests.
http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?website=&language=&session_key=

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
al is correct about value. this fall there have been some great bargains out there.

some bases can be upgraded later if the post matches the hole in the base. windage tops or a joystick can be added later to replace a standard top. i shot off a rig like this for several years untill finally going to a farley. most will sell the older rest when it sits long enough.

ask yourself how you shoot. if you dont want to shoot fast there may be no need for a joystick. also certain of the joysticks operate directly opposite from eachother. some shooters find one more to their likeing than the other. some dont like the stick shift at all. the joystick is a really specialized rest for speedshooting.

if you are used to bagsqueezeing you might not need a windage top, but it will not hurt and can be sold. you wont need more than one top, but may need an extra bag for wider stocks.

a lesson in setting up a rifle in the bags will help you a lot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think the Sinclair got my nod.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there a factory rifle out there that people buy to shoot f class.. Bench rest.. Etc.

Just curious.. As I don't think I have ever shot one accurate enough to consider for either.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For an out-of-the-box gun, it would be hard to beat Savage's F class guns. The 12 F/TR is for the Tactical FClass and their 12 F Class in 6BR or 6.5-284 is for F Class Open. For someone starting out, the 6BR is a nice way to go..super accurate, good available components and long barrel life.

The Model 12 BR is available in 308W and has a bit more traditional butt on the stock. That would probably be my pick for an all-arounder.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a question for you gentleman- what is the .308 Palma?

I googled, but didn't find a very good source.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a question for you gentleman- what is the .308 Palma

The style of reamer used to chamber the rifle. Little tighter dimensions than the standard .308 Winchester reamer, different freebore. Chamber is compatible with the ammo used in Palma matches.

As far as a match rifle, learn to shoot F-Class with the Remington you already have. With proper load tuning you might just find the rifle capable of shooting some decent scores. A little work on the trigger/bedding may be needed, the rifle is a great platform to start with. I earned a "Master" classification in Mid-Range with a factory rifle...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yah, no doubt. I am going to shoot the crap out of it, and before I buy a totally new rifle- I would re-barrel, and convert what I already have into something better.

The rifle I have has serious potential. I just need some decent time and conditions to show that.

FMP

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No belly benchrester here.
Try here.
http://benchrest.com/inlink/index.php?sid=672730821&t=sub_pages&cat=16&num_results=100
Never could understand why anyone would choose to crawl around on the ground like a worm,eat grass and get muddie when you could just shoot off a good solid bench.
I like this one.Its worked well for me.
http://www.benchrest.com/magnummetal/toggle.html
Shooting off a bench.
[Linked Image]
Shooting off a good solid bench with a good rest and quality bags will show the true accuracy of your set up.And its ALWAYS an equipment war.ALWAYS.
I leave the grass and cow pie eating to the f classless.
grin
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
ha! my 308 off a lowly bipod @ 200 yards, har har! 6mmPPC, har, grass grows everywhere, good solid benches don't, har wink
[Linked Image]

GOA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.