Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 30-30 needs TSX's to kill anything.

A 223AI with TSX's will kill almost anything.

Its not OK to sit in a secure box blind with a loaded rifle, but it is OK to carry a concealed and loaded handgun on your person.

If the power goes out for 5 minutes and the dehumidifier is off, my Stainless A-Bolt will be reduced to a pile of rust.

The gun-buying sickness I have is not as bad as I thought.

My constant tinkering with bullet/powder combinations is not as bad as I thought.

There are folks out there that are bigger loonies than I am.

There are some good folks on this site.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've learned that:

Some rifles have recoil that is a sharp kick, vs. other rifles (usually of larger caliber) have a 'slow push'- this in spite of the fact that higher recoil energy causes faster recoil.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't believe a word that Lee 24 says.
Don't go to Maser's house.

And last of all "THE FIRST LIAR DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE"

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am the only gun owner on the Camp Fire who owns big game rifles that routinely shoot groups larger than 1 inch.

Rolly
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rolly
I am the only gun owner on the Camp Fire who owns big game rifles that routinely shoot groups larger than 1 inch.

Nah, We all own them, we just brag about the other ones! smile ..................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nah, we just shoot groups with fewer bullet holes in them. 1 shot seems about right.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nah ....my mauser will only do about 1-1/2moa and it's 2 for 2 on elk now, plenty good enough for me!

Last edited by HankMcMauser; 01/13/10.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just learned there are holes in brush. I want to hunt there.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Main thing I've learned on here is you people in the North don't shoot big enough guns.
Here's the southern guidelines
A .243 should never be used on anything larger than a wounded field mouse
A .270 is appropriate to shoot coyotes with ONLY if its a WSM and mange has thinned the coyotes hair for easier bullet penetration
A 30 caliber cartridge is adequate to shoot a whitetail deer ONLY if it is of the Ultra Mag variation.
Anything larger than a whitetail deer requires a caliber that starts with a 4
If it flys and is bigger than a dove you better shoot a 12ga.
with 3 1/2's in it.
A fixed 6x is only good for shooting in the middle of a blue-bird day. Any other time than 10am - 2pm a 50mm objective scope on the end of a 30mm tube must be used. Preferably on 20x.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The whole population of Alaska must be on the Campfire. Atleast all of those with power and running water.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Rolly

Nah, We all own them, we just brag about the other ones! smile ..................DJ

Don't kid yourself. Their are plenty of people whose only means of shooting a group less than 1 inch are to shoot one-shot groups.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Thought I'd start a thread about tips we've picked up here on the campfire. I'd like to keep them hunting related if possibe.

If your feet are cold put on a hat. Old saying is true, keep your toes and fingers warm by keeping your noggin toasty with more covering than you think you need.

To help keep your feet warm they need to stay dry, try using antiperperiant spray on your feet for a few days prior to hunting. Helps keeps them from sweating and thus getting clamy and cold.

Ok there are the two I learned this year. What's helped you out?

The flip-flop recoil pad--the most brilliant idea since smokeless powder.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope we have all learned that when Ingwe says..

YOU SUCK! grin

That it is the highest form of compliment, and he is jealous... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hope we have all learned that when Ingwe says..

YOU SUCK! grin

That it is the highest form of compliment, and he is jealous... wink

Ingwe

Heck, if we could just limit ALL our responses to YOU SUCK!....we might learn even more........ laugh

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Opinions are like a-holes...everybody has one but some just put out more [bleep]...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I've learned a lot here at the fire...kind of expanded my base of knowledge.

I've also learned that some people don't know when to shut up and call it good.

Forgot to add that this site has cost me some money. Well spent though.

Last edited by Whip; 01/14/10.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I learned:

That for the most part the East Hunts hot and the West hunts cold chamber.

That when I'm 55 I won't want to shoot anything bigger than 257 Roberts due to recoil tolerance or carry anything heaver than 7#. I will also want my wood stocked rifles back.

That experienced hunters have all taken elk, go for fixed scopes mounted low, don't clean their guns or shoot for groups.

That you need to shoot 10k rounds a year and shoot almost as well off hand to be a rifleman.

That the 223 will wack a deer every time, DRT. Buckshot for deer is totally inadequate (don't say that in VA)

That energy/speed doesn't matter, only where you hit them. Don't even try the Texas angle.

That Remington and Browning rifles suck, Savage and Tikka can stay in the back of the closet.

Bob is right...... it's endless........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.

While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.

95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter)

In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry that have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last several decades.

In general those who have read enough books on the topic even though they have never actually done it, become equally or even superior to those who have done it.

In general those who sit at the bench and shoot 10,000 rounds a year know more about hunting then those ........ whats the use, see previous......

Animals can tell the difference in impact between .010 of an inch in diameter, 10 grains of bullet weight, and 100 fps.

Muzzle energy is all that matters , except for bullet placement, except for projectile brand, except for sectional density, except for ballistic coefficient,

If an expert with a $7500 rifle can make a successful harvest at 750 yard on an elk then any Kmart rifle with a tasco scope and weaver rings should too, cause it's shooting the same cartridge.

This last one can be changed to say $1500 bow and 75 yard shot too!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've learned that I know some stuff about guns and hunting but still can't tell which is better, the .308 or the .30-06. I guess I'll have to keep reading and trying to increase my knowledge up to the point where I will be able to distinguish whether the .270 or the .280 is a better antelope round. I believe that once I can tell whether the .338 Federal or the .338 WM is too big or too small for something or other, I will have learned alot. I still don't know who Bob and Roy are.

I guess that once I figure out all this important stuff, I will know it all, like some posters here, and then I won't have to come to 24 anymore.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is absolutely no reason why anyone should start out on a hunt of any kind without wearing the very latest pattern in the most expensive camo clothing available as it would be impossible to even get close to "long range hunting" range.

All it takes to be a "long range hunter" is to mount your 15-50 X 80 scope backwards.

A .257 Roberts will kill better if it is known as a .257 Bob. Same with Roy and Weatherby.

If TRH makes a statement, he is right and everyone else is wrong, even if it is about pit-bulls.

O, and that gun writers just repeat someone else's stories. Especially when they write about "the worlds best deer rifle."

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.