Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tuco
...Yes, the factory barrel-band is plastic. Yes, the receiver is zinc. So what?...

Do you REALLY need an answer to those questions? Really...? BTW, if a feller doesn't like the Marlin, there are a couple of dandy quality lever .22's made by Winchester and Browning. But Henry, not so much.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Every time I think this thread has died, it pops back up grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can give my own personal experience. I've owned several model 39's over the years, at least half a dozen. Currently, I have a Winchester 94-22 also. The Marlins and the Winchester are quality pieces. They're probably "overbuilt" for the .22 cartridge. However the Henry will not feed properly. It wants to jam unless the lever is cranked smartly. I've never had this problem on a quality lever.

I have no problem with the materials Henry uses. I do have a problem with a gun that won't work. I have to give the Henry a thumbs-down at this point.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Cole, when I first got my Henry, it, too, experienced feeding problems (as an aside, my Model 39 had severe extraction difficulties, so even "quality" lever actions are not immune to problems). I sent my Henry back to the factory, where they fixed it and promptly returned it to me. Problem solved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tuco you can have a problem with any gun, but I've only owned one Henry and there are problems with it. Contrast that with half-a-dozen "quality" lever actions with absolutely no problems and excellent accuracy from each. Fooling around sending guns back and forth isn't my idea of fun times. Thanks for the info about your experience. It confirms my decision to trade this one back to the guy I got it from and stay away from Henrys in the future.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Henry's do seem "cheap" but people want disposeable plastic junk now adays. They don't want quality or to pay for quality. I think I'll keep my marlin 39.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bullard
Henry's do seem "cheap" but people want disposeable plastic junk now adays. They don't want quality or to pay for quality. I think I'll keep my marlin 39.

With all due respect to bullard, this makes absolutely no sense. Glocks (to say nothing of a plethora of other modern firearms, including most of the current darlings of the shooting community) are ostensible "plastic junk," yet no one would gainsay their quality. The iconic Nylon 66 was also constructed of "cheap plastic junk," yet remains one of the most durable, and accurate, .22's ever built. And, as I noted in my original post, my "quality" Model 39 suffered such chronic extraction problems that I finally got rid of it in disgust.

I am no apologist for Henry, nor any other firemarms manufacturer. I do, however, possess a pair of eyes and a brain. I'm reminded, too, of Kant's observation: "Have the courage to use your reason."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well Ive never owned as I aquired a golden mountie here a few years back and have looked no more but I have chatted with others that have carried around the same opinion that the Henry 22 levers in their Opinion was a junker that was not worth the effort or money to own...........

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.