Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
So what do you guy's and gal's think about an all out humanitarian effort by the U.S. to aid the decimated little country, after yesterday's 7.0 earthquake ??????

With deaths maybe going into the hundreds of thousands!

Phil

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm figuring on contributing.

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If southern CA got hit with the big one, would you want help?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My initial question is from where is the money to come? We're essentially broke, so it's a legitimate question. Just add it to the bill I suppose, and default when it comes due.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mike762
My initial question is from where is the money to come? We're essentially broke, so it's a legitimate question. Just add it to the bill I suppose, and default when it comes due.

Business as usual.

But, regardless, I'll still contribute out of my own pocket.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When disaster strikes, you do what needs to be done and figure out the details later. This isn't like bailouts and health care. People are dying.

― George Orwell

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's another tragedy. they need humanitarian aid, for sure.

beyond that, two countries on one little island? how did that ever occur. D.R. has good building codes and little damage. Haiti is about demolished.

one piece of the puzzle is to combine those two countries on the one island, and let D.R. begin the reconstruction effort, imho.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say it's one of the things we do best,.....

Where are the Saudi / Iranian airlifts,.... ?

....The Cuban ....?

... The Venezuelan .....?

.....Mexico ,...?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
for the Religionists amongst us, this might have occurred as a way to point toward USA as a true helper, while some of the others, (Cuba, Venezuela, Carribean Islands, etc), are perhaps well intentioned, but not set to Assist.

makes me wonder if this is a sign that Haiti, as an entity should no longer exist in the future, but should be combined with DR for the betterment of all?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Mike,

With all due respect, I disagree that we are broke financially as a country. Morally yes, financially no. I don't like our debt levels at the point they are now and what is projected any more than you do, but you need to compare debt to equity and not only current debt dollar amounts.

It paints an entirely different picture.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Haiti would logically be combined with the DR, but I doubt the DR wants them. Why would they want to inherit 9 million poverty stricken people along with their moral degeneracy?

― George Orwell

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Haiti would logically be combined with the DR, but I doubt the DR wants them. Why would they want to inherit 9 million poverty stricken people along with their moral degeneracy?

any thing such as a solution like that would likely require a post-modern solution?

maybe move as many Haitians to other locales, ..the DR, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc, and then turn the countryside into a eco-tourism hotspot for the rich Nations. kinda like parts of Madagascar?

Utilize private enterprise and investments to restore the pre-Haitian eco-system, and return a type of green paradise on the existing degraded Landscape. Eliminate all Goats, and other exotics, of course.

send UN aid to DR, to pay for, and project Leadership.

Job done, back to the Cave, with a Solar front. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rock Chuck - a better question is, if California got hit with a big one would you expect help from any of the Latin American countries?

An honest question. How much help did Louisiana get from outside the States after Hurricane Katrina?

Jim

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Rock Chuck - a better question is, if California got hit with a big one would you expect help from any of the Latin American countries?

An honest question. How much help did Louisiana get from outside the States after Hurricane Katrina?

Jim

surely, someone was sending Volunteers to drive the school buses in NOLA, but alas, they couldn't get there in time? sorry, off-topic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure lets send a bunch of cash that way,we have extra right?? but not help homeless people,or women with children living in cars,or vets that have no where to go and are suffering from tremendous medical and mental problems but aren't getting the help they need...yeh let's do that...Were loaded... why help our own citizens right?? Let's take care of our own, who desperately need our help first.. Not saying it's not a tragedy,but think about it.

1 and done
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, let's endeavor to save as many human Souls as possible, in this immediate emergency.

but, beyond that, who can step up to the plate, and consider that little Carribean Island, and it's needs?

Should it be re-addressed, with the appropriate Local Leaders involved?

an Island Nation, divided in two, with risks from Hurricans, and apparently EarthQuakes, and over-population?

is there an Opportunity presenting itself here?? who's Creative and Imaginative? where's the profit, while re-storing the Eco-System??

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Longbob

Mike,

With all due respect, I disagree that we are broke financially as a country. Morally yes, financially no. I don't like our debt levels at the point they are now and what is projected any more than you do, but you need to compare debt to equity and not only current debt dollar amounts.

It paints an entirely different picture.

What equity? We have a debt of over $112 Trillion and a GDP of only $13 Trillion. We have no reserves, except the gold supposedly in Ft. Knox. With current expenditures exceeding income by 40%, and our currency debt based, where's the equity? The 8200 Tonnes of gold purportedly in Ft. Knox won't cover even the public portion of the debt, and if you're talking about public lands, buildings etc, their value would have to increase exponentially to cover the entire $112 Trillion. Even if you confiscated the entire wealth of the nation and cashed it in, it still wouldn't cover the debts and unfunded liabilities, so I ask again, what equity?

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think of it as an all natural form of retro active birth control.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While certainly the building codes are basically nothing, that quake was only 10km deep so it wouldn't spred out that far.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by highridge1
but not help homeless people,or women with children living in cars,or vets that have no where to go and are suffering from tremendous medical and mental problems but aren't getting the help they need...yeh let's do that...Were loaded... why help our own citizens right?? Let's take care of our own, who desperately need our help first.. Not saying it's not a tragedy,but think about it.

Yes there are many in this nation in need. However in this country the resorces are available to anyone who needs help and is willing to ask or look for them. The people in Haiti had little before the quake and are now in desparate need of the most basic things like survival, food, and water. I'm sure we can all dig a little deeper if we need to and those who think the need is greater here at home as opposed to Haiti or anywhere else for that matter..well feel free to step up to the plate. 163bc

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,067 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,514
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.