Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3674762 01/13/10
Nail Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I, Sniper is Stephen Hunter's latest Swagger saga. The local book store said they should recieve some more copies in Thur. so I wanted to check here for a review(s).

I know there are some Stephen Hunter readers here, so let's hear it. Is anyone reading or has anybody read it? What's your opinion?

Also, I didn't read the previous Swagger book, Night of Thunder. The basis of it didn't appeal to me and it has gotten less than stellar reviews to say the least, leading me to check in with others here about I, Sniper before spending my money.

Thanks,
Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both are a good read. I liked them. As with most of the Swagger saga books, they should be read in copyright date order as a series.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
More here.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I agree, if you don't read them as a series you'd be left wondering about a thing or two.

If I didn't read Samurai then I'da wondered just who the hell Miko was.

Night of Thunder was a little vanilla for my taste, but was cool that it was placed just down the road from me.

I, Sniper seems to be a cool book but I'm only 2/3's through it.

Time To Hunt was hard to put down, and is a hard one to top..........

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've read all of his Swagger novels except "I,Sniper". Lookin' forward to reading that one also.

I will add an "amen" to "Night of Thunder" not being so hot of a read. Very slow and dull for my tastes. I too thought it a cool concept, especially since it took place in my home state and mixed it up with NASCAR. That being said...it still didn't hold my attention.

I only finshed it because I just hoped it was going to get better.

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I liked the 47th Samurai but didn't care much for "Havanna" or "Night of Thunder". "Time to Hunt", "Hot Springs", and "Pale Horse Coming" are my favorites.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I, Sniper was a VERY good read.

Too bad Swagger was so old and beat up to begin with, need more Bob Lee books.......

[Linked Image]
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I, Sniper is a good read. Some pretty good twists and turns.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good article on the author in the American Rifleman.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nail,
if you dont wanna spend the money, how about the library?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

Nail Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're a little late to the show. I purchased and read I,Sniper several months ago.

As to your question, the local library wouldn't have had that book in stock for some time. It wasn't really about saving a few bucks so much as it was if it was worth reading at all.

Nail

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stephen Hunter haas done a wonderful thing as far as literature, hes created a character and a history and made it almost real. I Sniper was good, Bob just gets craftier and craftier. Everyone on the 'fire would appreciate Pale Horse Coming for obvious reasons. The only thing leaving me upset is the fact that there is no real heir to the swagger saga. I dont see the daughters doing it and Bob Lee cant handle much more IMO. Great stories I will hate to read the last Swagger story as it will be like an old friend is passing.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
" ... The only thing leaving me upset is the fact that there is no real heir to the swagger saga. ... Great stories I will hate to read the last Swagger story as it will be like an old friend is passing.

Don't despair! I heard Stephen Hunter interviewed last night on the radio show, "Gun Talk," hosted by Tom Gresham. Gresham asked him about what happens to Swagger, now that he is much older, and Vietnam was many years ago?

Stephen Hunter replied he is in the middle of writing a novel in which Swagger trains a young USMC Scout Sniper, who had served in Iraq. Seems as if there is one of the "enemy" Muslim snipers from Iraq, who now is after the young Marine. Swagger is teaching his protege "the ropes" of staying alive against an unseen Muslim sniper/stalker here ... Stateside. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Bob Lee finds himself involved with the Muslim sniper, in some fashion or other. smile

Sounds as if this "young Marine" will be the continuing "franchise," as the next Bob Lee Swagger.

Sounds as if it'll be an interesting read. I didn't catch the publishing date.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Cant be soon enough, thats for sure. I always figured Russ Pewtie from Dirty White Boys and Black Light may make a return but another marine is an intriguing idea. I will definitely be on the lookout as Im addicted to the swagger stories, another interesting thought, the young ms Swagger is available, Bob may find himself with more than just a protege.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got to get this.........I'm a Swagger fan for sure. Another good book by Steven Hunter is "The Day Before Midnight".

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The take-off on Marty Robbins' song "Big Iron" is so literal that it almost had me laughing. From the outlaw Texas Red to the town of Cold Water, from the Spanish version, Agua Fria, in the song.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time to Hunt was my favorite of the bunch as well. Point of Impact ranks second to me...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep; took me a little to figure out what that was all about, grin (I speak German, not Spanish) but once I did, it was a real humorous read. You just knew what had to happen at the end. BIG Arn, Biiiig Arn.... laugh

One question :Is the technology they were discussing available yet?

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I just finished reading the paperback of "ISniper" and at the end was an excerpt of "Dead Zero". I will be eagerly awaiting this one. The excerpt was just that good. Lord willing I will have a Kindle by then and will just have to download it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoy all of the Swagger novels. I can't wait for dead zero to come out.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Is Swagger the character in Shooter? If so, can someone list the books in the order they should be read, I loved that movie and would like to read the series.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.