Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
alaska lanche, he may not hike 50 miles in 9, but I won't bet against him on getting there first with a load of 'Bou. Well, his wife might beat him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kent

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Allen also make a BinoBuddy that works well. I like the clips better on their set-up. I rufuse to dangle $600+ glass on 30 cent clips.

I also use a BinoHide from Cabelas to keep the crap out of the eyecups.

Dan, I'm not familiar with the Cabelas BinoHide so I tried to find it on their site and didn't come up with anything. Have you got any more info? Here's why I'm interested: We've never come up with an ideal way to carry and use binos in heavy rain, and we hunt in rain a LOT. I've used the Crooked Horn bino harness in recent years, good, but doesn't solve the wet problem.

I carry my binos with a cover on the eyepiece end, which is up as they hang on the harness. To use, I lift them tight up under the broad long brim of my cap and take the eyecovers off under the cap brim close to my eyes, protected from rain. When finished, I reverse that, replacing eyepiece cover while the binos are under the cap brim before exposing them to rain again. We usually carry binos inside outer rain shell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.shootnhunt.com/scopes_sights_and_optics/scope_optic_accessories/0922204.html

Best I could come up with... You're right Cabelas doesn't show it anymore.

I bought mine at Stateline store in Idaho at their grand opening. Best 15 dollar piece of gear on the planet.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Oak
chopperjockey, the bino system you are referring to is the Bino Chest Pack made by Alaska Guide Creations: http://alaskaguidecreations.com/

I like the way it looks, and might give it a try. I've been using something called a Binocsock for a few years and really like it. Apparently they have stopped making them, though.

Has anyone tried this Alaska Guide Bino pack? I tried making my own, but am not satisfied with how it hangs. It constantly slips down no matter what I try. If the Alaska guide works as well as it looks, it would be well worth $50.

I have the Alaska Guide Bino Pouch and have been using it for a little over a year now and love it. Prior to purchasing it I was using the Crooked Horn system and it did not work for me. The bino pouch holds binos perfectly plus allows me to carry a few other items in the zippered pockets(range finder, hunting license and tags , etc). This pouch helps protect my lenses while walking through brush and rain/snow which is a major plus for me. The pouch also lets me remove the binos from it and have no attachments so no tugging on my neck or straps getting caught up under my pack when wearing it.

"RLTW"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
http://www.shootnhunt.com/scopes_sights_and_optics/scope_optic_accessories/0922204.html

Best I could come up with... You're right Cabelas doesn't show it anymore.

I bought mine at Stateline store in Idaho at their grand opening. Best 15 dollar piece of gear on the planet.

Dan, thank you for the link!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always hate it when these "binocular chest rig" threads appear on various boards. It reminds me that I invented/designed it for my own use approximately ten years prior to seeing them on the market. I call it one of my three missed millionaire opportunities. It's a good thing I am comfortable being on the outside looking in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointblank
Badlands Makes a really good 1 with water bladder built into the rear straps, yet tucks away if not needed.
http://badlandspacks.com/bino.php

Interesting, not much info on the site yet, any idea how big the water bladder is?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Originally Posted by Oak
chopperjockey, the bino system you are referring to is the Bino Chest Pack made by Alaska Guide Creations: http://alaskaguidecreations.com/

I like the way it looks, and might give it a try. I've been using something called a Binocsock for a few years and really like it. Apparently they have stopped making them, though.

Has anyone tried this Alaska Guide Bino pack? I tried making my own, but am not satisfied with how it hangs. It constantly slips down no matter what I try. If the Alaska guide works as well as it looks, it would be well worth $50.

I have the Alaska Guide Bino Pouch and have been using it for a little over a year now and love it. Prior to purchasing it I was using the Crooked Horn system and it did not work for me. The bino pouch holds binos perfectly plus allows me to carry a few other items in the zippered pockets(range finder, hunting license and tags , etc). This pouch helps protect my lenses while walking through brush and rain/snow which is a major plus for me. The pouch also lets me remove the binos from it and have no attachments so no tugging on my neck or straps getting caught up under my pack when wearing it.

So the binos are just tucked into the pouch not attached at all to the strap system?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I always hate it when these "binocular chest rig" threads appear on various boards. It reminds me that I invented/designed it for my own use approximately ten years prior to seeing them on the market. I call it one of my three missed millionaire opportunities. It's a good thing I am comfortable being on the outside looking in.

You're telling me frown

I invented the Bumper Dumper....... About 6 mo's too late frown frown

Hell, the list of things I invented 6 months too late is more impressive that Lee24's whistle

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Heres a link to some pics. Should help out quite a bit.

http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpf...postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I use the Alaskaguidecreations, and that's the one chopperjockey is looking for. It is USA made by a regular guy like us, badlands isn't, the AGC is much better anyway. Badlands made the AGC then changed it just enough to get off the patent and sell their own. If you like stuff like that, ok.

The AGC can be worn with a pack and works great, I wear mine with my MR nice frame no problems. Holds alot of electonics right where you can get to them.

I know others that post here do the same, will probably chime in.

Kent

[Linked Image]

Boy I really like that, I can think of a lot of uses in addition to hiking and hunting. Just emailed him, sure enough he had a few left in black, so I committed. Ball games, motorcycling, airshows, I can see a lot of uses.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The beauty of an 8x32 is you donnne neeed no steenking chest harnesss laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by broncoformudv
Originally Posted by Oak

So the binos are just tucked into the pouch not attached at all to the strap system?

Yes the binos just sit in the pouch with nothing attaching them. The pouch itself is attached to you.

"RLTW"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried several of these rigs. Recently I've been using the badlands.

Pros:

I love how tight it holds the binos to the chest. No elastic. Firm and no bouncing!

I love the extra space for other things. Calls, cell phone, license, whatever.

I love that the system is completely sealed. No snow or dirt gets in.

Cons:

Somewhat bulky. It doesnt really bother me, and I've used it with the MR crew cab and the badlands hypervent, but the straps and the back mini-pack might bother some.

The magnetic closure. This is a love/hate thing. I love the ease of use, but it's noisy when closed. It makes an audible snap unless you slowly and deliberately close it. The snap of the magnet closing ruined one stalk on a big muley for me this year. The deer were fine with the breaking branches and crunching leaves, and when that bino magnet slammed shut, the deer blew out.

The lanyards that connect the bino to the chest pack. They are too small. I'm looking to rig something different in it. I'd like to come up with a quick swap system for my different binos using small clips of some kind. Anybody have any suggestions? The ones I've found at REI and such are all too big.

Overall: The best one out yet, but still not perfect. We're getting closer, though.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Has anyone used the Nimrod bino harness? The over the sholder straps are webbing instead of elastic. I was thinking that would definitely reduce sagging when using heavy binos.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just bought a pair of Cabella's Euros 12x50s...... Im hoping they will fit inside the Badlands?????

D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

For Christmas my son got me one of the AGC carriers along with one of the Crooked Horn setups and told me to keep the one I settled on. I decided the AGC setup was right for me. It doesn't interfere in any way with my pack harness (MR CrewCab) and it protects the binoculars completely. I have left the regular strap on the binoculars and that seems like a good idea when you are just using them near your vehicle or walking out from camp to look at things.

A Garmin 60CSx will just fit in the front pocket but I'll continue to carry mine tethered through a button hole and in my shirt pocket. Probably use the pockets for my headlight, spare compass, binocular cleaning items such as a small squeeze bottle of distilled water, lens pen, lens cloth and so forth.

DJR

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought I would share with you the bino system my daughters bought me for Christmas.

It works with the same principle as other bino harnesses, however this one keeps your expensive glass protected from the elements and banging around, rather it stays snug against your chest.

The side pockets are a tad bit small, but after talking with the maker, he intends to redesign with larger side pockets. After thinking about it, I did think of a few uses for the small pockets. They are about the perfect size for four AA batteries on one side, and my glass cleaner on the other (which consists of a lens rag, a twist brush, and two Zeiss towelettes).

the front pocket does fit my Brunton and Etrex Vista, but it is tight, and I'll probablly just run with one of those inside of that pocket. Ballgames it will hold a camera.

Although the maker also makes the camo version, I opted for black so that I could use this bag at ballgames and motorcycle trips, I just might get the camo version after the new larger side pocket version comes along.

Good craftsmanship, and dealing with this guy is a pleasure..there is not a doubt in my mind that if something goes wrong with this pack, or comes un-stitched, this guy will make good.

I like this and feel better about hiking around with $1200 Ultravids covered up, instead of banging around.

Five stars!

www.alaskaguidecreations.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
With the Badlands Bino vault system you can remove the bino straps and use it conjunction with the factory sternum straps on a Badlands pack.

I have an extra one if someone is interested. I guess the wife has enough bouncing in that general area.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Thought I would share with you the bino system my daughters bought me for Christmas.

It works with the same principle as other bino harnesses, however this one keeps your expensive glass protected from the elements and banging around, rather it stays snug against your chest.

The side pockets are a tad bit small, but after talking with the maker, he intends to redesign with larger side pockets. After thinking about it, I did think of a few uses for the small pockets. They are about the perfect size for four AA batteries on one side, and my glass cleaner on the other (which consists of a lens rag, a twist brush, and two Zeiss towelettes).

the front pocket does fit my Brunton and Etrex Vista, but it is tight, and I'll probablly just run with one of those inside of that pocket. Ballgames it will hold a camera.

Although the maker also makes the camo version, I opted for black so that I could use this bag at ballgames and motorcycle trips, I just might get the camo version after the new larger side pocket version comes along.

Good craftsmanship, and dealing with this guy is a pleasure..there is not a doubt in my mind that if something goes wrong with this pack, or comes un-stitched, this guy will make good.

I like this and feel better about hiking around with $1200 Ultravids covered up, instead of banging around.

Five stars!

www.alaskaguidecreations.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I too like the thought of the binocs in a "pouch". I stated before the Coaxsher does the same thing, a pouch for the binocs. It also has a place for a GPS, a radio (or two) and a SPOT. Seems not to catch on though. I guess they need to make a "camo" package and call it the "Outdoorsman" or something. I've never used or found online a better "system" than the Coaxsher I posted about, but for some reason it doesn't catch on except in fire suppression or SAR (search and rescue), and it's made in Washington state (USA made). Oh well, I'll keep using it, and keep getting told, "Wow, that's cool, where'd you get it" (knowing the guy asking isn't going to buy one until it's made in "snow camo" or "realtree" smile

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (204guy, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 42 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,328
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.