Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My shots will all be at less than 75 yards. Do you folks with actual coyote experience with the 17HMR have an opinion about with ammo/bullet to use? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I believe shot placement will be the key rather than bullet selection. i believe your options are 17 and 20gr....I doubt the Coyote will know the difference. I have only killed one at about 50 yards with a .17, head shot. I was using Hornady vmax 17 gr.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does the CCI 20gr Gamepoint use a heavier constructed bullet?

Gary

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I believe since they dont use a polymer vmax insert or anything like it, it's safe to assume it is of heavier construction. I think its just a standard HP. In reality we're talking about a 3gr difference. To me its like asking if a 690gr 50 bmg round is better at disabling an engine vs a 693g bullet. It's truly about shot placement.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by warpig602
I believe shot placement will be the key rather than bullet selection. i believe your options are 17 and 20gr....I doubt the Coyote will know the difference. I have only killed one at about 50 yards with a .17, head shot. I was using Hornady vmax 17 gr.

I wouldn't shoot a coyote with a 17 grain Vmax out of much, let alone a 17 HMR...

Of course if you're talking only headshots, which in the real world of calling coyotes are a pretty poor shot percentage, it really doesn't matter...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by GregW

I wouldn't shoot a coyote with a 17 grain Vmax out of much, let alone a 17 HMR...

Of course if you're talking only headshots, which in the real world of calling coyotes are a pretty poor shot percentage, it really doesn't matter...

Its actually quite easy at 50 yards when he just decides to stand there and look straigh ahead. We could argue the merits of the 17 on coyotes all day.....just like has been done countless time before on this board. Some say sure, some say no way. It all comes down to the shooter, the conditions and luck. Id shoot a Coyote with a 22LR if given the same chance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I refuse to take a shot at over 50 yards on a coyote with my .17 HMR and any bullet, and I would prefer a .22 LR actually. Since I don't like limiting myself that way, I don't use my .17 HMR when I am calling. If an opportunity presents itself within that range limitation and I have my .17, then I'd take the shot. I would prefer the 20 gr - the additional 3 grains is 15-17% more. More like a 165 gr bullet over a 150 gr bullet in .308. (Which is actually only 10%...)

Coyote hunting is sport for me. If I were a rancher only interested in eliminating them, then I would shoot with anything and not worry about it.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Its actually quite easy at 50 yards when he just decides to stand there and look straigh ahead. We could argue the merits of the 17 on coyotes all day.....just like has been done countless time before on this board. Some say sure, some say no way. It all comes down to the shooter, the conditions and luck. Id shoot a Coyote with a 22LR if given the same chance.

10-4...

But do you take your 17 HMR on stand calling coyotes with you?

Have a good one...

- Greg

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gary O: I have killt three Coyotes with three shots using my Ruger Model 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR.
All three were killed with a single Remington 17 grain bullet/cartridge.
Like others mentioned use care in shot placement.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

10-4...

But do you take your 17 HMR on stand calling coyotes with you?

Have a good one...

No, I take the Tikka .243. I was out shooting birds and rabbits when that one came over a hill. I wouldnt hesitate to take the .17 to a stand if I was planning on getting them in close. Generally im impatient and shoot at 250 or less so I bring the .243.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I said, I would not intentionally choose my .17 HMR as my preferred coyote rifle, nor would I take it on a calling stand. Why limit myself?

We rarely hear a ".17 HMR for coyote supporter" come on here and admit that they botched the shot or that a yote ran off yelping over the mountain...they were always clean, one-shot kills or clean misses. (And this NOT directed at any one person or poster here! Just a comment in general, and the same could be said about other calibers for other purposes.)

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have no problem choosing the .17 if I plan on getting them in close. I've had more than one Coyote escape what apperaed to be a clean shot with the .243, like you said, happens with every caliber. I feel supremely confident with the 17 at 50 and would easily shoot at 100 if he presneted himself correctly. The smaller the caliber the more critical distance/shot placement become.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Calif Hunter: You ought to get out and Hunt Coyotes more often!
Here in MONTANA I Hunt several ranches for Varmints where "centerfires" are not allowed! Rimfires only!
In addition each fall I take along my 17 HMR Rifle specifically to Hunt Coyotes in far eastern Montana (475 miles further east than where I normally Hunt Coyotes) - this Hunt is in conjunction with the Elk and Mule Deer Hunting I do in this area!
This area is so remote that Coyote Hunters seldom travel there and the Coyotes are WAY over-abundant!
I use the 17 HMR nowadyas in this area as it won't put the scare on the Elk and Mule Deer in this area like a centerfire cartridge does.
There ARE more lethal and longer distance capable cartridges available for Coyotes - every one knows that!
But there are also instances and circumstances where the 17 HMR works just FINE for Coyotes - thats something you did not know til I told you!
I have killed two Coyotes this winter both were killt with one of my 204 Ruger Rifles - and they were killed on BLM and National Forest lands.
In a week or so I will be Hunting LITERALLY around ranch houses and corrals for Coyotes - the cows are soon to start calving and the Coyotes come down out of the foothills and skulk around waiting to kill a newborn calf or eat some palcenta - I prefer to use the 17 HMR in this instance. And YES indeedy there will be a 204 Ruger along in the VarmintMobile as I travel to and fro for the LONG shot on public lands.
And take this "comment" not so much in general to you but in specific - how many Coyotes have you wounded with the first shot from your 17 HMR Rifle?
I will re-iterate for those with an open mind - I have killed three Coyotes with three shots from my 17 HMR Rifle!
One Coyote was killed at 100 yardish distance with a head shot.
One Coyote was killed at 100 yardish distance with a heart/lung shot.
And the third was killt at a lesser distance (60 or 70 yards) with a frontal shot to the throat.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Which load do you use for your coyote hunting? Thanks for your experiences...

Gary

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hornady 17gr Vmax

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VG - since I do not take my .17 HMR when coyote hunting, I have yet to try it on one - nor have I shot a deer with a .223 or an elk with a .243. They work, too, I hear. If an opportunity presented itself within my self-prescribed limits, I would shoot it. To each his own, but a 17 gr bullet the size of a grain of rice is simply not my choice for a varmint the size of a coyote past about 50 yards. The "high velocity" of the .17 HMR is still only 2550 FPS or so - a full 1,000 FPS less than my .223. A .22 Mag with a 30 - 35 gr bullet will do 2250+ FPS. I love my .17 HMR, but I limit it to prairie dogs and ground squirrels.

As I said previously, all we hear about is the ones that died, not the ones that got away. (Obviously, the ones that get away are always clean misses...the guys who admit to messing up a shot on a larger varmint with a .17 HMR are the same guys who no longer use it on coyotes and badgers.) I want to be able to take any reasonable shot on a coyote (or any quarry) including quartering away, hence my preference for a centerfire on coyotes. You are obviously an expert marksmen who takes the shots he can make with confidence, as well as being restricted to rimfires on certain ranches you hunt.

I know you swear by your .17 HMRs over .22 mags, and your opinion is great and based upon your experience. I, however, would opt for a 35 or 40 gr .22 mag bullet for a yote over a 17 gr bullet if restricted to a rimfire. That is what is great, right - that we can each choose what we want to use. For colony varmints, I share your enthusiasm for the .17 HMR.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

+1

I think it was a fellow from Montana, that is now a rep for something that told me that he'd shot a few up there with the 17 HMR. They tend to run 400 yds or so and then maybe die...or not. You might get them, or you might not.

Steve

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

+1

I think it was a fellow from Montana, that is now a rep for something that told me that he'd shot a few up there with the 17 HMR. They tend to run 400 yds or so and then maybe die...or not. You might get them, or you might not.

I've had Coyotes run after being hit with 100gr .243 rounds. Shot placement.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

+1

I've had Coyotes run after being hit with 100gr .243 rounds. Shot placement.

It's not just shot placement my friend. Wish it were that easy. This topic has been beat to death and it sure brings out of the woodwork those who just haven't shot a lot of coyotes.

A rhino with good shot placement from a 22LR will probably run off but the reason why the rhino runs off is not shot placement.

I'm outta this one. Adios.

- Greg

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yes a Rhino and Coyote are very similar, well put. It is probably best for you to leave this discussion with points like that. Good day ,sir.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.