Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Found a photo of the wartie and I.[Linked Image]
I am the taller one! We positioned it so that the grass clump masked the bullet hole. First shot was angled from the front. Second shot was on the off side and at about the same angle as the first, only in reverse. Bullets went through good shoulder, heart and lungs. Range was only about 70 yards. Did not take a picture of the side without the leg. Wish I had one.
Dan, I did enjoy the people and country. Truly amazing.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
GB1

L
LT_DAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Bfly, nice. by judging only on that pic i would say, that boar is about 5 years old. wonder how old the injury was.

tell more about that rifle in the pic.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 01/18/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm farmed most of my life, so I tend to look at teeth on the animals that I kill. This guy's teeth were worn pretty flat for a hog. Uusally the ridges of enamel and dentine stand up pretty high. We seldom killed hogs at home that were more than two years old. I can say he was well older than that, from the wear. The hollow in the tusks was pretty small as well.
The rifle is a Ruger 77 tang safety in '06, with a Leupold 2x7. I've killed a bunch of game with it. It's one of six current 77's that I shoot and hunt regularly. Had seven, one in 416T, that I built, but sold when I needed some money. That was a mistake. I really like those early Rugers.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
L
LT_DAN Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Bfly, judging age on a wart-hog on the size and girth of its teeth is not an exact science.(by the way that is what i used when i looked at your pic) in my region a wartie with that teeth would be around 3.5 -5 years old. you and i have actually stumbled across one of the hottest local debates: judging age of a wartie by the size of its teeth.

one (myself) should limit my judgement to hogs from my region. the reason being that in different regions teeth wear faster and slower depending mostly on two things:

1: the hardness/toughness of the top soil of that region
2: the depth of food below the top soil of that region

thus the one regions trophy is the other regions dominant boar.

however the method you used ie: the farmers method is more sound.

have to say i like your rifle collection 06, and 416 together with the H&H calibres are true african classics.

i love to hunt with farmers they tend to look at different things your average hunter observes. you cant help but learn a lot from farmer hunters.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 16,921 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,330
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.